Will there be an elk season with coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop watching the news, turn tv off, throw phone in river. If this shutdown continues your gonna wish covid 19 got you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Blow up your TV throw away your paper,
Go to the country, build you a home,
Plant a little Garden, eat a lot of peaches..

Agreed!

I think Oregon is currently closed to non-residents and I think that’s as far as they’ll go. Plus I don’t think the lockdown stuff will last beyond August.

Chipz

FNG
Seasons will probably go on as scheduled, but a lot of states are suspending nonresident hunting permits and the mouth breathers are cheering that on.

I dont see how how camping out in the middle of nowhere that sees no foot traffic for a week has anything to do with spreading a virus.

arrowjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
I just can't imagine this all continues until Sept. As others have said if everything is still shutdown until then we are going to have larger issues than an elk season. I'm cautiously moving forward with my plans and scouting for this fall as of now.

jmez

WKR
Seasons will probably go on as scheduled, but a lot of states are suspending nonresident hunting permits and the mouth breathers are cheering that on.

I dont see how how camping out in the middle of nowhere that sees no foot traffic for a week has anything to do with spreading a virus.
It doesn't. But we HAVE to do something. Humans always feel the need to do something. Even when most of the time it accomplishes nothing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

IL Rifle

FNG
If it lasts till August, bigger issues than hunting will really cause a justified reason for panic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
In the meantime I'm going to still prepare and condition for my first elk hunt this fall. Living, as I do, in the flatlands, I need all the conditioning I can get between now and Oct. (But, I did lay in a good supply of 5.56 and M2 ball before the last crisis that caused an ammo run.)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Montana is slowly starting to ease restrictions, but the travel ban into the state is still in effect. If numbers continue to drop (we didn't get hit nearly as hard as many states), they'll continue to ease restrictions. Still some hope for non-residents this Fall.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider

Not saying I agree with this or not but the idea isnt to stop people from just camping out in the middle of nowhere, its all the stops along the way they have to make to get there. Plus thousands of non residents also use hotels.

Chipz

FNG
Not saying I agree with this or not but the idea isnt to stop people from just camping out in the middle of nowhere, its all the stops along the way they have to make to get there. Plus thousands of non residents also use hotels.
I know ive seen this thrown around a ton. Youre just as safe as everyone else going to get essential shit if you follow the guidelines when washing your hands/masks etc. Stopping to fill up with gas has a marginal if any influence on the spread of the virus.
As far as hotels go most are already shut down to out of towners regardless.

It doesn't seem to have stopped hunting here in North, North Carolina and in southern VA. As a matter of fact the Virginia wildlife folks seem to be encouraging folks to get outside and hunt and fish while observing social distancing. But our community around here doesn't seem to have been hit hard. I still don't personally know of anyone who has got the virus and I don't mind if it stays that way.

Gila

WKR
Folks jumped right in there from the get go with politics. The virus doesn't care if you are red, blue or green. It will take you down all the same. It will be with us this fall, you can count on that. To what extent is the question. There will not be a vaccine ready this fall. The medical experts' advice is good enough for me.

Will New Mexico close down their hunting season? If they do we might as well all bend over and kiss it good bye cuz we all gonna die!

Having said that there could be issues for outfitters and non-residents hunting NM. I won't get into the outfitter issues as those are obvious to the most casual of observers. The Governor is concerned about travelers coming into the state. As of now she asks all people traveling to the state to self isolate for 14 days. Maybe that will change, maybe it won't. IMO, I can't think of better self isolation than to go on a DIY hunt. Going with an outfitter might be another story though. There are going to definitely be some inherent risks with contracting an outfitter. The way I see it, the outfitters are going to have to come up with a game plan for social distancing and disinfecting gear to get clients. In any event, I won't risk it. I would rather spend the money on gear and go DIY for this season anyway. I live here so I don't have to worry about traveling here. I hope you non-residents do come and hunt here as our economy really needs the revenue. Congrats to all of you who have drawn tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.