Will there be an elk season with coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

satchamo

WKR
Well I got wyoming tags sitting on the counter so I sure hope they don’t pull any stunts but I’m doubting it with Wyoming’s low population. That said I plan to be respectful- IE keeping my stops to gas and restroom only - and even then the restroom may be the side of the interstate most of the time ;).

After all the shit we’re dealing with, my only saving grace is knowing I still get to hunt!

Gila

WKR
I believe Elk seasons will be open but I could easily see travel bans returning during the expected second wave in October or November.
We never got out of the first wave now as it turns out. You couldn't have known this back in April. No one knew back then. New Mexico gov does not want anyone coming into the state right now. Returning residents and non-residents coming into the state will undergo a 14 day self quarantine. There has been rumors that flights may be cancelled. For now they intend to enforce quarantines at the airports. Not sure how they will accomplish that. I don't know where the state will go with non-resident hunting this fall. We will have to keep our ear to the ground.

Wow, this post has been around the world and back. Starting out it looked like some saw the virus as a hoax or something taken way too seriously. Even the president indicated in the beginning it would go away quickly. But it didn't. With states opening up it's worse now than ever. Hopefully this is as bad as it will get but that is yet to be known.

But as bad as it is, it doesn't look like it's going to stop the hunting season but may affect some of us who might want to go to town and have a sit down dinner as it may end up being take out instead and even if not mandated might be the best choice. Getting the Covid in a distant state or while at camp would way worse than getting it at home. Fortunately, when it comes to hunting, most of us hunters while hunting, have always tried to social distance ourselves from other hunters by much more than 6 ft so social distancing while hunting is a non-issue. Drive safely so we who are able can be in the hunt this fall/winter.

cnelk

WKR
All I know is the mountains are LOADED with people these days. Everyone must be unemployed
Ive never seen so many people mid-week camping/fishing/hiking.

I would bet OTC archery elk areas will be PACKED come September

My wife put her foot down last night and said I wasn’t going this year. Since NJ has a quarantine for people that have been in something like 12-15 states and 3-4 I would have to drive through to get to Colorado that is issue number 1. Then last year my son ended up with altitude sickness and we cut the trip short. The issue is if either of us got it or hurt 2000 miles away and we would be more likely to get the virus in a hospital.

I understand her concern and won’t start World War III.

Being in my mid 50’s with many historical injuries that have slowed me down and a widow maker heart attack 10 years ago. I just don’t know how many more years I can do it. So bummed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
My wife put her foot down last night and said I wasn’t going this year. Since NJ has a quarantine for people that have been in something like 12-15 states and 3-4 I would have to drive through to get to Colorado that is issue number 1. Then last year my son ended up with altitude sickness and we cut the trip short. The issue is if either of us got it or hurt 2000 miles away and we would be more likely to get the virus in a hospital.

I understand her concern and won’t start World War III.

Being in my mid 50’s with many historical injuries that have slowed me down and a widow maker heart attack 10 years ago. I just don’t know how many more years I can do it. So bummed out.

No doubt, states and employers requiring quarantine will be interesting, week of hunting might take 4-5 weeks of vacation pay.

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
I think Elk Season will be "Go" for most states for both residents and NResidents, but the total number of hunters will be down for sure; due to various reasons; 99% of course from the CV19 Virus.

KurtR

WKR
No doubt, states and employers requiring quarantine will be interesting, week of hunting might take 4-5 weeks of vacation pay.

So how is that enforced. If i show up to state with that and go hunting in the back country with who ever would that not be considered quarantining or do you have to go to a special camp where they lock you up for 14 days?

ColoradoV

WKR
X2 it is a real ihst show out there in colo right now... People are stacked on top of each other.. If this trend of more use continues otc will be packed like never before.

All I know is the mountains are LOADED with people these days. Everyone must be unemployed

So how is that enforced. If i show up to state with that and go hunting in the back country with who ever would that not be considered quarantining or do you have to go to a special camp where they lock you up for 14 days?

It is almost unenforceable. That being said NY is apparently getting info from people when they fly in from those states. Have fines up to $2000. No idea how effective it is but that’s what they are putting out in the news. Driving they can’t pull you over just for having an out of state license plate.

Fatcamp

WKR

Wonder how they'll like the snow?

brsnow

WKR

Employers simply don’t pay or allow you back to work for the 14 day period. Different states have different approaches, people will always be able to circumvent, that seems to be human nature these days. Gunnison county put a strict policy in place when the virus first came about. I am sure we could also see county by county restrictions added. Ideally things are calm by then but El Paso county is currently close to full capacity in their ICU. Might be a tough fall.

Damn... thank god I didn't get my plane tickets yet. I already purchased and received the MT combo tags though. Not sure if I can still refund them or not. As of right now my employer won't let me come back to work if I leave the state and don't quarantine for a week or whatever. No way can I get that much time off.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
I'm very worried for us non-residents. I'd say we are 50-50 in some states if cases don't start going down. As stated earlier, New Mexico currently isn't allowing non-residents in state parks. Doesn't seem like a big leap to go from that to banning non-residents from hunting. Hope I'm wrong.

KurtR

WKR
Employers simply don’t pay or allow you back to work for the 14 day period. Different states have different approaches, people will always be able to circumvent, that seems to be human nature these days. Gunnison county put a strict policy in place when the virus first came about. I am sure we could also see county by county restrictions added. Ideally things are calm by then but El Paso county is currently close to full capacity in their ICU. Might be a tough fall.

That’s crazy we have opened full on up from before the 4th and had few cases and state wide hospitals are not busy. I will be hunting Idaho with residents. Plus guiding nr pheasant hunters in Sodak. Bet this is one of the biggest season ever here so far fishing has been crazy busy

cnelk

WKR
Damn... thank god I didn't get my plane tickets yet. I already purchased and received the MT combo tags though. Not sure if I can still refund them or not. As of right now my employer won't let me come back to work if I leave the state and don't quarantine for a week or whatever. No way can I get that much time off.

All you have to do is come back and cough a couple times and Bingo! You’ll get sick time. Compliments of Covid

GSPMich

FNG
If they shut the seasons down what happens with NR tags? This is an unprecedented situation but am I out the money I've already got into a tag, or will Colorado honor that tag for an upcoming season, 2021 or 22 for example?

Status
Not open for further replies.