Whys it so dang hard to find a reliable hunting partner?

amp713

WKR
Ya thats what i was seeing too... I had heardsomeone mention there is a way to go diy.... Idk if they did drop camp or what though. Im hopin to figure that method out!

Amp
NM would be the place for DYI aoudad HUNT . West Texas is most private land and people get funny about letting you hunt it unless you are doing a little predator controle. ..

Jlbmlb4

FNG
Part of the reason is the commitment it take to do a western hunt.
1. You have to be a motivated individual
2. Have a love for the mountains
3. Have the cash to buy gear, tags, fuel, etc...it's not cheap as we all now
4. Have the right gear, know what gear you need, and know how to use it
5. For use archers...have the commitment to maintain your skills at a high level
6. Be able to get the time off work
7. Have a family that supports or at least tolerates your absence every fall for x # of days
8. Be able to tolerate the long drive....at least some of us have long drives
9. Be able to tolerate the elements of the backcountry
10. Be dedicated to having yourself in top shape by hunt time...which takes months of preparation
11. Have the countless hours that it takes to prepare properly for the hunt
And the list could go on...and on...and on....

To do a backcountry hunt is a huge commitment and it is hard to find someone that has most of the qualities above and I am sure I left several out. Plus your personalities and hunting styles have to be somewhat comparable.

I would be happy just to find someone to share the 12-22hr drive out with( depending on where I hunt this year). If we end up hunting together then that's a bonus.

Buster

WKR
I live right in the heart of it, have lots of people I could possibly hunt with, and still end up alone more times than not... maybe its me.

I live right in the heart of it, have lots of people I could possibly hunt with, and still end up alone more times than not... maybe its me.

That's me. So I'm raising myown hunting partner & training him the way I want him! that's what sons are for:)
He's 11 this summer, I'm 54 in about a month. I figure I can carry the bulk of the load now, & in about 10 yrs he will be able to (and he will owe me :D)!
And for now his schedule will always fit mine since I'm the one who can get him out of school!

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's me. So I'm raising myown hunting partner & training him the way I want him! that's what sons are for:)
He's 11 this summer, I'm 54 in about a month. I figure I can carry the bulk of the load now, & in about 10 yrs he will be able to (and he will owe me :D)!
And for now his schedule will always fit mine since I'm the one who can get him out of school!

Brilliant! I plan on the same as soon as my boy is old enough.