Whys it so dang hard to find a reliable hunting partner?

rhendrix

WKR
The guy that had sworn up and down that he was going mule deer hunting with me just let me know he's not going to be able to come. Started working for a new fire department (one where he could take two vacation days and get two weeks off) and just loves working there too much to want to take vacation to go hunting. What the hell?!? This was someone I've known for 4 years and who swears up and down they hunt hard as hell for whitetails and was chomping at the bit to hunt mulies last year. I just don't get people. Someone smarter than me needs to invent a website where you can find hunting partners that are just as enthusiastic as you are. Kinda like March.com, but no homo. Guess I'll be flying solo again and bringing a book and some tunes.

/rant

littlebuf

Banned
Hunted solo for years in a big part because of not having anyone I could rely on, and also I just don't like other people that much. Found two good guys I trust and enjoy hunting with now, and I realize what a rare thing that can be. Wouldn't change all the years of solo hunting, learned a lot not only about hunting but about myself doing it. But it's pretty nice to have a couple buddy's out there now. Guess I don't answer your question of why it's so hard to find. Guess we're just a small group that take it as serious and are willing to sacrifice as much as some of us do for what we love

wapitibob

WKR
Just like a wife, it all starts with the interview.
It's also a whole lot easier to see if they'll work out when you live out west and can do weekend hunts. Just like dating.....

I'm from southeast I don't know if I could get myself to do a solo backcountry hunt..
But finding someone to share the same passion for hunting and have the same amount of free time ... Yea that's tough

I'm from southeast I don't know if I could get myself to do a solo backcountry hunt..
But finding someone to share the same passion for hunting and have the same amount of free time ... Yea that's tough
Looking into my 1st hunt out west
Archery elk hunt or 2nd gun season ..

kodiakfly

WKR
This is one of the hundreds of reasons I hunt alone. I have a couple of buddies that if they wanted to go do a weekend thing or something, that's cool. But to actually have someone I'd set up a high-commitment, high-endurance hunt with....I can count exactly two guys I know that I'd do that with; one of which I've done float trips with.

It's easy to talk a big, hardcore game. Not so easy to walk it.

Shrek

WKR
Hunting affair , I went last year and I'm working like crazy to go again this year. If you would hike out in the woods around home and hunt and camp then why not out west ? If you have the time and resources then just go and don't second guess yourself. I halfway flopped and halfway hit a home run but I learned a lot and had a great time. If you find someone thats great but I wouldn't let not having a partner stop me for a second.

mt100gr.

WKR
I once heard a parody sung to a Brad Paisley tune, "I'm a way better hunter online". To many guys think getting the gear, applying for tags, and talking the talk equates to hardcore. Bummer for sure, I do 98 percent of my hunting solo. It's hard to find like-minded, trustworthy, and dedicated hunting buddies.

weaver

WKR
I've got a couple buddies that know they're always welcome to join me but I'm going either way. I enjoy going at it solo but it is nice to shoot the bull around a campfire in the evenings.

hard to find people with the same idea of what getting out there is and what it takes to be a properly tuned machine in doing so, be it diet, training etc.... just pure dedication. one who pushes themselves and hungers for exploration are a dying breed in current generations it seems. trying to have conversation and or communicate with someone who lacks a similar level of interest is less than desirable, a buzz kill, distraction to my goals in such. there is something to be said about creating your own adventure.....

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
I once heard a parody sung to a Brad Paisley tune, "I'm a way better hunter online". To many guys think getting the gear, applying for tags, and talking the talk equates to hardcore. Bummer for sure, I do 98 percent of my hunting solo. It's hard to find like-minded, trustworthy, and dedicated hunting buddies.

This.

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Thers people that like the outdoors and people who love it. I'm glad that my hunting partner loves it.

mt100gr.

WKR
Good point about fewer people "in deep". I respect people I run into where I hunt, but part of me is annoyed...mostly at myself. I either picked an obvious area unknowingly or didn't go far enough. I have met some really good people back there though.

It's really hard to find someone with the same goals/dreams. I haven't found anyone yet. Like said above, it's all like dating. First it's a few shed hunting trips then it's a hunting trip, just a day one. Then it's off to try a camping trip. Well that's as far as I got with my last buddy. He didn't hVe the desire like I do. He is more into whitetails.

Quality reliable hunting buddies are priceless
In 6 years hunting wilderness bulls I have had seven different guys in camp. This year 1 other is a for sure and 1 on the fence. I know I'm coming back before I leave each year. I usually have 1 that I can count on. I feel blessed to have that..

Hoot

WKR
theres only a handful of people that I would consider doing a trip with, some of those are 2-3 day trips, and I have an even smaller list of people Id go with for longer than 3 day trips. In the last two years, since getting back into big game hunting, 95% of my scouting and hunting trips have been solo. Sucks you lost your partner, but don't let it put a damper on your trip...