Why NOT a Tikka?

ElPollo

WKR
'As long as it works"

A Tikka will out WORK any 700 clones because of the trigger. I've had issues with Jewells, Timney, and Trigger Techs in 700 clones. I still use 700 clones because I love big 30 cals. If Tikka ever made a real long action, I would be done with 700 clones.
I think the Tikka trigger is the best factory option out there. You, Form and others have talked about it’s reliability in tough conditions and I wholeheartedly agree. But it’s just a really nice trigger to use as well. The adjustment screw is easy to use and the result is a very nice crisp single stage trigger. Mine breaks cleanly with no creep and very little over travel at 1.8#.

The action is smoother than anything else I can think of. Lots of people get grumpy at the one action length, but a Tikka in 308 is as light or lighter that any factory option I can think of except for two that are designed to be ultralight alternatives.

The factory Tupperware stock is light, yet adequately stiff. I like the replaceable grips. The one place, I’d like to see them make changes here is to add the removable comb riser like they have on the CTR stocks.

Finally, the rough tech and camo versions were kind of a miss for me as they added weight and barrel girth and coated the stock without addressing the comb issue. I am mostly a fan of the standard T3x version with the black stock and the unfluted barrel. The latter is a big deal for me because I’m likely to cut and thread it, and fluting makes that harder.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Could you give a mini-rundown on the reasons people would be in one camp vs the other?
I would say fit and feel, action length, accessories, price, hell even color options.

Tikkas are very versatile, they have almost as much aftermarket support as the rem 700 footprint now, and tight tolerances allow you to order things like prefit barrels and screw them in yourself saving cost. But if you're dead set on something like a hinged floorplate BDL, or hand loading to optimize a true long action cartridge, they don't fit the bill.

SDHNTR

WKR
For those considering a Tikka, or any other factory option, be sure you fondle a Winchester M70 first. IMO, for $150-$200 more, you get A LOT more value and a rifle that looks and feels more solid. Decent stock and decent trigger, no plastic. Best sub $1000 option IMO.

Better yet, find a slightly used New Haven built used M70 Classic with the old style open trigger for about the same money.

the most challenging gun I ever reloaded for was a browning x-bolt white gold in 300 win mag. It showed enough potential to keep trying but never got better than 1 moa despite trying dozens of load combinations and hundreds of dollars worth of premium hunting bullets, upgrading reloading dies, etc. I've had less accurate guns, but they proved they were turds in short order and moved out of my life with far less hassle expended.

SDHNTR

WKR
It’d be hard to find someone that likes M70’s more than I, however Winchester has never made a rifle as good as a T3.
Form, amigo, I love ya but really?

Have you spent much time with an extreme weather? Every one of the several that I have dealt with were fantastic shooters and felt great in the hands. Yes, I’m not a huge fan of the boxed MOA trigger either, but there are far worse ones out there. Is it just the trigger that makes you say that?

Or how about a new haven build dropped into a decent stock? I know we are talking about off the rack production models, but problem solved?

Genuinely curious, I mean no shade.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
What I’ve gathered thus far…..
Buy a tikka and spend another $2k on upgrades and you have a fair rifle that may or not shoot better than a custom, depending on your ability.

Hard pass!
No not at all. Buy it off the rack if you want a workhorse, no frills, tool that won’t let you down. Drop another $2000 into it if you want all that AND a nice rifle.

No not at all. Buy it off the rack if you want a workhorse, no frills, tool that won’t let you down. Drop another $2000 into it if you want all that AND a nice rifle.
Or just buy a nice rifle to start with that doesn’t need all the upgrades to start with.

Alterra indicated they will likely be back in the Tikka stock game soon.

Where did you hear this? I would be very happy to buy a couple more.

Tikkas in .223 and a 300wsm in alterras to match my allterra’d 6.5cm and I’d sell off all my other hunting rifles. Only thing that is stoping me is the inability to get the stocks right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Tikka rifles don’t need any upgrades, it’s just really easy to make changes if you want. I’m not a tikka fanboy but it’s hard to argue with the accuracy of the rifles right out of the box. The built in dovetail combined with sportsmatch or similar rings makes a solid mounting system as well. The ability to switch the grip is also nice.

I have 2 30-06 rifles now, one t3x and a m70 EWSS hard to compare the two guns especially since the 30-06 won’t get fired until later today but both are good guns. I believe I read here that the tikka is a scaled down TRG22 or something which is pretty coo really.

Fact of the matter is that you could spend a lot more and not get better accuracy or function than what tikka offers. Even with the prices going up on them, there still isn’t really a better choice for the money. My last tikka was pretty expensive….850.00 for the rifle, shipping, ffl fee and tax it was about a thousand bucks….the first tikka I ever had back around 2009 was 329.00 out the door at sportsman’s warehouse (should have kept it).

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, amigo, I love ya but really?

Have you spent much time with an extreme weather? Every one of the several that I have dealt with were fantastic shooters and felt great in the hands. Yes, I’m not a huge fan of the boxed MOA trigger either, but there are far worse ones out there. Is it just the trigger that makes you say that?

Or how about a new haven build dropped into a decent stock? I know we are talking about off the rack production models, but problem solved?

Genuinely curious, I mean no shade.

All of them. Pre ‘64’s, Post 64’s, New Havens, and new ones. Multiple EW’s. The actions bind more and do not feed as smoothly. CRF is more susceptible to failures with ice than a T3 (actual testing), the trigger in all of them is more susceptible to ice (actual testing), the stocks look “better” but are no more functional, and in some ways less so than factory T3x’s. Scope mounting on an integral rail is better than screws, DBM’s done right are more reliable than any internal mag and are better in sand/ice/snow.

I really like M70’s and they are by far the best “American” action or rifle made and if I needed or wanted a normal hunting rifle or “custom” on a true magnum action they would be it. However they do fall short compared to a Tikka, Sauer, Blaser, etc. with regards to function in adverse conditions. Whether those reliability differences matter or not is entirely up to the person.

SouthPaw

WKR
Where did you hear this? I would be very happy to buy a couple more.

Tikkas in .223 and a 300wsm in alterras to match my allterra’d 6.5cm and I’d sell off all my other hunting rifles. Only thing that is stoping me is the inability to get the stocks right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See post #22 here.

What upgrades do you think an off the shelf Tikka need?
I didn’t think they’d need any, but this thread has started at a flaw with the bolt to needing the barrel replaced lol. If it needs all that, why get one to start with, or just build a custom