Why NOT a Tikka?

A quarter percent improvement, wow, some guys would pay good money for a 25% improvement, that is impressive!
And no info provided on what ammo was used.

But let’s keep the bashing going since we all know that every rifle shoots all ammo equally well.

TxxAgg

WKR
why do people like a 3 position safety? I'm not belittling anyone...I just don't know why some people prefer it. ???

SDHNTR

WKR
why do people like a 3 position safety? I'm not belittling anyone...I just don't know why some people prefer it. ???
Ability to block the firing pin and still safely load and unload. Handloaders can test for shoulder bump safely without disassembly. Ability to lock bolt when busting brush to prevent unintended unloading. It’s one of those things where once you experience the utility you wonder how you ever got by without it.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
No downsides to a Tikka. If you want to see a real POS for the money, look at Kimber Hunter. Worst magazine I’ve ever experienced in a non-budgetary rifle. Every thing about it felt cheap.

JGRaider

WKR
Ability to block the firing pin and still safely load and unload. Handloaders can test for shoulder bump safely without disassembly. Ability to lock bolt when busting brush to prevent unintended unloading. It’s one of those things where once you experience the utility you wonder how you ever got by without it.
To each his own. Been big game hunting for 50 years and none of those are an issue with me and never have been. Never had a rifle inadvertently fire even when unloading/loading, never lost a mag, never "shoulder bumped" anything...whatever that is. I have no problem with people knocking Tikkas...to each their own, but there's a reason every sub $1000 rifle is compared to a Tikka and not vice-versa.

Holocene

WKR
I jumped on the Tikka train last year when I drew a rifle tag after bowhunting since moving to Oregon. Mostly, I wanted to try shooting a left handed rifle for the first time (I'm left eye dominant, right handed) to see if that approach feels better in field conditions. Tikka offer LOTS of left handed rifles and I found a good deal on a Superlite at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I sold a RH Model 70 and a Savage to get the Tikka outfitted. Nothing short of pleased and would get several more.

My Tikka is bone stock with the vertical grip, Lumley trigger spring, and SWFA 6x42. Fantastic rifle. The lean, efficient design just makes sense in my head. I actually REALLY like the fit and stiffness of the Tikka stock compared to anything other factory synthetic stock that's not a special upgrade to Manners, McMillan etc.

Only things I don't like about the Tikka:
  • Harder to single feed compared to Model 70
  • Have to pass up deals on barrel blanks, since the shank is a little smaller
  • Lighter than M70. I actually prefer a heavier setup so have added weight to Tikka.
  • Fit and finish not as classy-traditional as a good M70, but since I've started hunting in the West I care less about traditional aesthetics and how the furniture looks and more about how the gun/bow shoots. In terms of tooling and fit and finish, Tikkas impress actually.

End of day, the Tikka fits my needs best right now, but I'm still a huge fan of Model 70s and think they are representative of a bygone design era when America made things well in the craftsman style -- perhaps too well and with more art than efficiency necessarily. CRF was a plus (mine was a 2006 model from the plant in my hometown Columbia, SC).

To this day, I'm on the hunt for one of the left handed Model 70s that came out of the New Haven plant to complement my Tikka. Hard to find those for a price that makes sense as I'm not a collector but a hunter.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you not long ago. I ended up picking up a CA mesa used, lets hope its a stud. Around the same price, I would spend the extra few hundred to get the Bergara B-14. I have several friends who "out of the box" swear by them. You can pick them up in that 800-900$ range. My Tikka just felt cheap, but they are very customizable if you want to spend hours upon hours looking over all the aftermarket stock options you have.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Around the same price, I would spend the extra few hundred to get the Bergara B-14. I have several friends who "out of the box" swear by them.
Depending on chambering and if they reload, they might change their opinion. Maybe I got a lemon, but the B-14 was the only rifle I've ever had to try a couple different bullet and powder combo's to get it to shoot well consistently, and I bought it new and did their recommended break in.

And no info provided on what ammo was used.

But let’s keep the bashing going since we all know that every rifle shoots all ammo equally well.
great point. ammo was mostly handloads, tried the 165 TSX, 180 TTSX, 150 interlock, 220 sierra pro hunter and 180 sierra pro hunter. There had to have been a couple of boxes of factory in their too, but I don't recall what they were. On the same days I was shooting very, very small groups with handloads out of my AR-50. Any other questions before we move on from discussing an absolutely embarrasing rifle?

great point. ammo was mostly handloads, tried the 165 TSX, 180 TTSX, 150 interlock, 220 sierra pro hunter and 180 sierra pro hunter. There had to have been a couple of boxes of factory in their too, but I don't recall what they were. On the same days I was shooting very, very small groups with handloads out of my AR-50. Any other questions before we move on from discussing an absolutely embarrasing rifle?
No, I’m good. You have a wonderful day.

JakeSCH

WKR
I love my tikkas, but these are reasons why i have bought other rifles over tikkas in the past.

2 position safety
action length
slow twist rates

Last edited:
yup, those are reasons to buy something else after considering all the options. I interpreted "avoid" by the OP to mean eliminating the option with no consideration given.

amassi

WKR
How do you resolve insufficient head space and a case that is difficult to chamber after a few firings if you don’t know what bumping the shoulder back means?
You can always full length size according to the Instructions in the dies, trim to length as brass grows and never know about or try measuring shoulder bump.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
You can always full length size according to the Instructions in the dies, trim to length as brass grows and never know about or try measuring shoulder bump.

*case head separation has entered the chat*

eventually, sure. but if everything is in spec it's probably not going to be an immediate outcome. And if you monitor your cases (as every reloader should), you'll trash the cases before that happens.

For example: I started off with 3 boxes of factory 25/06 ammo in 2000. I never bought any more ammo or brass for the rifle. I currently have 1 box of that brass left, and have put over 500 reloads through the gun with zero case failures. The remaining cases have to have at least 20 firings on them, and the dies have always been set up using the directions in the box because by the time I new better I had moved on to other rifles.

Maybe I just got lucky, but this experience makes me think the reason manufacturers put "bad" directions in the box with the dies is because in most scenarios, with people following normal reloading practices, the directions help users create safe, reliable ammunition.

amassi

WKR
Nope you'll lose primer pockets first. Might have to toss 5% of brass before primers go. If your inspecting your brass spotting case head separation before it is a problem is quite easy.
Likewise if your bumping 2 thou be sure to look for case head separation because it still happens