Why no compact nightforce FFP?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Might have been hashed out before, point me if so. But anyone have any clue why nightforce doesn't make the SHV compact or NXS compact in a first focal plane? IE basically the nightforce version of the swfa 3-9? Is there some sort of mechanical constraint on the nightforce designs that would prohibit them doing a FFP in that compact? It might not be their number one seller but I gonna imagine they'd move quite a few units with a ~20oz FFP scope.

Macintosh

WKR
Or a mil hunting reticle that is beyond “useable” and approaching “good” on lowest power against a busy background.

They dropped all of the reticles I would have purchased a few years ago. Around the same time they dropped the few f1 nxs offering they used to have, I believe. I imagine their sales didnt support it or they made a decision to focus on a different target customer. But those are literally the two reasons I dont own a nightforce scope.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Around the same time they dropped the few f1 nxs offering they used to have
I'm not well versed in their historical models but I don't think they ever did the compact in an F1 did they? That's the gap imho for the hunting market which may be smaller but would certainly move some units.

Macintosh

WKR
3-15 used to be offered in f1 I believe, that's what Im referring to. I may be conflating that with something else, so check me though. Somewhere on their website they have a by-year breakdown of dropped models and reticles. Looks like they significantly reduced their assortment if models and reticles in the late 20-teens and maybe ‘20, ‘21.

SloppyJ

WKR
How much more compact do you want than the 2.5x20? Or at that point is a weight issue?

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
3-15 used to be offered in f1 I believe, that's what Im referring to. I may be conflating that with something else, so check me though. Somewhere on their website they have a by-year breakdown of dropped models and reticles. Looks like they significantly reduced their assortment if models and reticles in the late 20-teens and maybe ‘20, ‘21.
Yeah I had seen that, also a heavier scope. Wondering why the compact was never F1. Is there a mechanical issue or lack of buyers (in their mind)?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd be much happier with a scope of the same size as the 2.5-20, but leave out the 8x zoom ratio 🥴
Make a double-baby (newborn?) ATACR
4-16 with a 30mm tube

Yeah I had seen that, also a heavier scope. Wondering why the compact was never F1. Is there a mechanical issue or lack of buyers (in their mind)?
I think there's more lenses in a FFP? I could be wrong about that. If there are, then size and weight would have to grow I suppose.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think there's more lenses in a FFP? I could be wrong about that. If there are, then size and weight would have to grow I suppose.
Not familiar honestly, but SWFA does their 3-9 FFP in a similar weight. The F1 NX8 2.5-20 is actually listed as .3oz lighter than the SFP version. So doesn't inherently seem it needs to be heavier.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't really care if its 3x, 4x, 5x erector, as long as its the compact size body/weight in FFP.
Agreed, anything at 5x or under is perfect

Yup. 3-9 to 3-12, 40ish mm, capped windage, FFP, 17-20 ounces would sell like crazy if reliable and most importantly reliably available. Dream scope right there.
The credo 2-10x36 is close to the mark. But still 23oz, only one stupid reticle option, and likely not compact enough for OP's desires. To me 13" isn't awful.

Marshfly

WKR
Agreed, anything at 5x or under is perfect

The credo 2-10x36 is close to the mark. But still 23oz, only one stupid reticle option, and likely not compact enough for OP's desires. To me 13" isn't awful.
It's so close. The only reason I don't own one is that it's the same weight as the Tenmile 3-18x44 and that already fits in low rings. 17-18oz is really what I'm after. 1/3 pound savings would be awesome.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm not as worried about the size (but bigger to a degree equals weight), I just figure if they have the NXS compact at 20os already its a solid starting point if F1 is practical.

Edit: also if we could avoid a stupid Christmas tree reticle that'd be great too mmmkay. :)

Last edited:
I have two NF NXS 2.5-10x32 scopes and they are both FFP. They are probably what you’re looking for, but for some reason NF quit making them. One has the velocity 600 reticle and the other is a simple MOAR. They don’t have the zero stop either, which sucks, but that is what keeps them lighter I guess.

In the flip side of this, I have a NF NX8 1-8x24 that I really enjoy as well. I think it comes with a couple of reticle options as well. It is also a FFP scope.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I have two NF NXS 2.5-10x32 scopes and they are both FFP
That makes me upset that you're hoarding two of them, I didn't even know they made those! Too bad they quit. Guess that answers the OP that there are NO mechanical constraints to Nightforce making exactly what he wants

Because last year it was SOOO important to introduce bronze finishes on their scopes:poop:
I think they're a little out of touch with what we need. Hopefully we're loud enough for them to catch up soon.