#8 Trusted Resources: Where can you find good info?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I started learning long range shooting on the internet. There was no one I knew who had a clue about it. There are a few resources that I can unequivocally recommend as a resource that will have little or no "debatable" or "controversial" issues. This is not an exhaustive list, and maybe I'll keep adding trusted resources as we go. But, here are some that I really like when it comes to developing myself as a rifleman. You won't find any gear review heavy people, because gear is one of the last things a new shooter really needs to worry about, except maybe a scope. (Rifleman need good rifles, but for long range he absolutely need to top it with a workable scope.)

My criteria for the resources below are ones that focus on that art and science of long range. They may have something to sell, but the material they are putting out is respected and is also universal and fundamental. Meaning, I have found the same information repeated, but the source I include is perhaps the best at explaining it or simply put has a lot of information. I also look at who is pushing the art and science forward, looking to the future, experimenting, and sharing results. While these resources have tips and tricks, they are built on the fundamentals necessary for a competent long range shooter.

On the other hand, with every resource teaching you something, you have to learn what to keep and what to ignore. Another reason for my recommendations is these have very little that you will need to ignore. But, as you look and find other resources, time will begin to help you see the common threads where a good truth or principle is found, and to see where opinion and bias show through. I have found that the best thing is to keep an open mind about everything, and look for something that is "more true" without saying something is false. The truth is, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and some ways are easier than others depending on the circumstances and goals. That is the way art and science are, we find "truths" that work for us, but there are always things that are more true or more weight is given to one factor or another. Find what is "true" for you, but don't fool yourself into thinking it is the only truth.

For instance, Erik Cortina is a highly regarded shooter, and one of his most famous videos is the one where he says to quit neck sizing. Now, neck sizing can have the effect of creating very consistent reloaded ammo. There is nothing "wrong" per se with neck sizing. But, he speaks a truth to the overall value of neck sizing compared to "shoulder bumping". Based on that video and others, I find that he focuses on what works and leaves behind the voodoo of the high priests of shooting and reloading. He isn't merely a parrot, doing another reloading video. But, I also filter out some of what he says, because although he is a quality resource, he still is subject to bias and mistakes. He is also a competition shooter at levels that are irrelevant to hunting. But, regardless, I respect what he has to say and give it a lot of thought and consideration, after all, he is a much better shooter than me. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCianqsXOUlcWAnyTsQ4FlIw

I won't put up links to all the resources I name below, but, if you just Google or search on YouTube, you'll quickly find yourself down the rabbit hole. There is no one place where all their content can be found.

Bryan Litz is perhaps the single most visible person doing excellent work on the science side. His work with Applied Ballistics and his books are excellent. Look at his books, articles, and videos wherever you can find them on Applied Ballistics' website, Berger's website, and others. If you want to understand spin drift, Coriolis, BC, etc. this is the source I rely on.

Modern Day Sniper with Caylen Wojick and Phil Velayo is another great resource. They have a website and podcast. Phil has a lot of videos on Instagram and YouTube. I paid for some online training, and it is excellent content, simplified to the fundamentals. No gimmicks there.

Ryan Cleckner's videos on basics of long range shooting on YouTube are excellent. His book Long Range Shooting Handbook is perhaps the best start that a new shooter could begin with. His philosophy will work very well for a hunter who just wants to be effective inside reasonable long range scenarios. He focuses on results, not fancy gear, calibers, etc. He has a podcast that I have listened to, but it doesn't have as much that I enjoy like the prior two mentioned.

Scott Satterlee is a fantastic resource and is a straight up do what works kind of guy. I follow his "load development" method as it has evolved, because he is focused on simplifying the process and only doing things that have sufficient returns for the effort. If you start looking at his load development methods, make sure and try to find more. If you only get the "6.5 guys" video and blog, you are only getting the first iteration. Most of the load development I find on the internet is way more complex than needed for hunting. And, a lot of it is wrong, costs more than it is worth, and provides no benefit or no appreciable benefit for hunters. I've followed Scott for years, and have recently had the opportunity to work with him on a project, he is a great ambassador for the sport and pushed for the NRL Hunter series, which I think will be very good for us.

Jacob Bynum of Rifles Only, he has been at the leading edge of precision rifle shooting. He has a new podcast, but the name slips my mind.

And, finally, our own @Ryan Avery is a trusted source when it comes to long range hunting. He is a no nonsense sort of long range shooter who is just focused on using it as a tool. He is in it for hunting, so you don't have much to wade through. He did a Rokslide podcast, and it is a solid intro for someone thinking about getting into it. Seriously, get a 1 moa gun and a good scope and get started.

You can find your own trusted sources. There are many. But, make sure you keep an open mind and carefully evaluate and learn. It is my experience that there are many resources with good nugget, but you have to shovel through some muck to get there. Sometimes, the nuggets are few and far between. Most of the content out there is entertainment, IMO, which has it's place. But, I am sharing gold standard resources.

I am sure that I will get a question or comment about the Sniper 101 series by Rex on YouTube. When I was new, I watched many of the videos. It was instructive and I learned a lot. However, I also had to unlearn a lot of things, probably too many things to have made it worthwhile. It appears that the video series is basically regurgitating what was in sniper manuals in the 1980s and 1990s. I can say that now that I have more knowledge, I think the time spent on those videos is not worth the benefit. If you are a new shooter, you'll learn, but there are many better resources where time is better spent.

Because of the leaps and advances in long range shooting, what was state of the art a decade ago may be obsolete, like the Sniper 101 series. So, you can't trust credentials or training without further investigation. Snipers in the past and even those now still get training that isn't the best available, and their applications have limitations that you do not. I have worked with, shot with, trained with, and learned from military snipers and sniper instructors. Don't misunderstand what I am saying, snipers are awesome. What I am saying is that even after initial sniper training, there are many additional levels of training, knowledge and skill, so make sure what you are following is up to date and relevant. This is absolutely nothing against snipers, nothing at all! They are without a doubt, the workhorses and journeymen of long range shooting. If you want some on the job training and know a sniper, definitely go shoot with them and pick their brain. But, when it comes to looking ONLINE, find the best as you learn the art and science of long range.