Why does First Lite Customer Service suck?

87TT

WKR
Not sure when they changed hands but I bought some stuff a couple years ago and when I got it, it didn't fit. Contacted them and they sent a return label and were really nice and helpful.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is a stretch. He didn't sign the deal in blood and promise his first born. Give me a break.

This sort of instance is a great example of a big company with procedures not bending to be helpful for the little man. It all happend the same day.

Once a company acts like this. It's best to move on. Lot of options out there.

The fact they only refund store credit should be the first red flag.

No it’s not a stretch. Could they have given it- sure. I probably would have. However, the objective reality is that someone is upset and calling CS crap because a company didn’t give them something for free. I don’t ask for discounts when I go to stores and I don’t go back later after I bought something and say- “can I have it for the sale price?” This is one of the many problems with our culture now.

Them giving the beanie would warrant an “atta boy” as they don’t have to. But them not doing it, isn’t crap CS as they held their end of the bargain up.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Most good companies that sell you a product will happily refund you the difference if there is a sale a couple of days later and the product in question is cheaper.

I’m not harping on you. Take a step back. You are upset because a company didn’t give you an item for free?

OP
D

danny6172

FNG
I’m not harping on you. Take a step back. You are upset because a company didn’t give you an item for free?
If I would have added the promo code that they gave me then yes, I would have gotten it for free. I feel like you’re implying that I am asking for a free item out of the blue?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
No it’s not a stretch. Could they have given it- sure. I probably would have. However, the objective reality is that someone is upset and calling CS crap because a company didn’t give them something for free. I don’t ask for discounts when I go to stores and I don’t go back later after I bought something and say- “can I have it for the sale price?” This is one of the many problems with our culture now.

Them giving the beanie would warrant an “atta boy” as they don’t have to. But them not doing it, isn’t crap CS as they held their end of the bargain up.
I think his point was-- he was entitled to the beanie if only he had entered the promo code.
When he realized he had omitted the required code and asked customer service to apply it on his behalf thier reply was "NO SOUP FOR YOU"

Just my opinion but this is a customer service failure. I do agree it's a 1st world problem to have, but now the first lite loyal customer is shopping other brands over an 8 dollar beanie that corporate had already wrote off for the promo.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Spoonbill

WKR
I think his point was-- he was entitled to the beanie if only he had entered the promo code.
When he realized he had omitted the required code and asked customer service to apply it on his behalf thier reply was "NO SOUP FOR YOU"

Just my opinion but this is a customer service failure. I do agree it's a 1st world problem to have, but now the first lite loyal customer is shopping other brands over an 8 dollar beanie that corporate had already wrote off for the promo.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
On Monday First Lite changed it to a free beanie if you spent 225. Makes one wonder if they got tired of the calls and redid the promo.
I haven’t dealt with their customer service in a few years but based on past experience, OP may end up with a hat.

Poser

WKR
Most good companies that sell you a product will happily refund you the difference if there is a sale a couple of days later and the product in question is cheaper.

Although not the same situation, hopefully you understand what I mean. In my situation, I had placed the order on Friday and did not realize I had earlier that same day received a First Lite promo for a free beanie that I was eligible for when I placed my order.

What pisses me off is that they couldn’t throw the free beanie in even though my order had not shipped yet. And you’re telling me nobody in Idaho could call down or send an email to their distribution center down in Utah to say “Hey, this guy could have gotten a free beanie but didn’t know, please throw the beanie in there.” Because I asked them if they could do that and they simply told me no, wouldn’t even try to make an effort.

On top of that, you can’t cancel the order and place another one. You have to wait for it to ship and then cancel it and ship the order back and then get charged for cancelling it.

I understand I made a deal and the company only has to hold up to their end of the deal. I understand workers have to follow company guidelines that are put in place. But the response I received by their customer service team after the order was placed was not one anybody would be happy to hear, especially since this was over a ******* beanie they were giving away for free to begin with.

It is what it is, but having spent some time working in the snowboard industry, I can tell you in fact that no, at a certain point in size with thousands of orders going out daily during prime retail season, you cannot just call down to the warehouse and have them add a beanie to the order. It breaks multiple protocols you have in place to keep fulfillment moving. The disruption in fulfillment flow could delay shipment on dozens or hundreds of other orders. For a smaller, boutique brand? Sure. FL ain’t that. At their size, it has to run like a machine and your $30 beanie addition would disrupt the flow of thousands of dollars of products.

For one, the retail agent would have to have their manager reach out to the warehouse manager and that person would have to pull someone out of the flow who is supposed to go digging through the 100s or thousands of boxed items that are staged for shipping to find yours, open it, add a beanie to it? It’s akin to asking a concrete crew who is pouring for a new bridge to stop and make you an ash trey real quick.

Now imagine getting dozens, hundreds or even thousands of such requests during the Black Friday window.

wnelson14

WKR
Pretty crazy this thread has two pages about a beanie. Return the $500 of items you bought and don’t look back, pretty simple. There are 95,000 other better options out there for hunting clothing.

Edit: Gohunt has some of their beanies on sale for $8-12. Way better option then a beanie that retails for $30 that costs FL probably $2.38

Last edited:

Bluesman1148

FNG
Classified Approved
3 comments:

1. Sorry to hear about the customer service experience…that does suck. Hope they add one for you anyways.
2. Their tag cuff beanie is probably my favorite beanie I own no joke….I have Sitka’s thicker beanies but they are modern and I kind of prefer the old school merino beanie myself as it fits nicely on top of my hat. If they don’t add it by default, do yourself a favor and spend the $30.
3. If you have a Scheels anywhere near you in the future, they are now being sold there.

I didn't get the email you are referring to.. I bought some stuff during their sale, but wasn't even aware of the free beanie deal.

acel

FNG
I didn't get the email you are referring to.. I bought some stuff during their sale, but wasn't even aware of the free beanie deal.
I did too and wasn't aware of the beanie...but it was auto added into my cart as soon as I added an item.

OP
D

danny6172

FNG
3 comments:

1. Sorry to hear about the customer service experience…that does suck. Hope they add one for you anyways.
2. Their tag cuff beanie is probably my favorite beanie I own no joke….I have Sitka’s thicker beanies but they are modern and I kind of prefer the old school merino beanie myself as it fits nicely on top of my hat. If they don’t add it by default, do yourself a favor and spend the $30.
3. If you have a Scheels anywhere near you in the future, they are now being sold there.
I already have the stupid beanie in question but it wouldn’t have hurt to have another one in blaze orange or to give as a gift if I couldn’t choose the color.

Unless my order comes with a surprise beanie I’m not buying First Lite ever again and I’ll be returning that order

TSAMP

WKR
I already have the stupid beanie in question but it wouldn’t have hurt to have another one in blaze orange or to give as a gift if I couldn’t choose the color.

Unless my order comes with a surprise beanie I’m not buying First Lite ever again and I’ll be returning that order
Pretty sure they only refund as store credit. That's been my experience anyway. Been awhile since I've purchased though.

acel

FNG
Pretty sure they only refund as store credit. That's been my experience anyway. Been awhile since I've purchased though.
You almost got me with this. Their policy imo doesn't clearly state one way or another so I called CS. They give you the option of store credit or refund.

I made a purchase at a different hunting company this week and forgot to enter a promo code for 15% off. I shot them an email to see if there was a way to apply it still. They refunded me 15% of my purchase price. Great customer service if you ask me!

Htm84

WKR
It is what it is, but having spent some time working in the snowboard industry, I can tell you in fact that no, at a certain point in size with thousands of orders going out daily during prime retail season, you cannot just call down to the warehouse and have them add a beanie to the order. It breaks multiple protocols you have in place to keep fulfillment moving. The disruption in fulfillment flow could delay shipment on dozens or hundreds of other orders. For a smaller, boutique brand? Sure. FL ain’t that. At their size, it has to run like a machine and your $30 beanie addition would disrupt the flow of thousands of dollars of products.

For one, the retail agent would have to have their manager reach out to the warehouse manager and that person would have to pull someone out of the flow who is supposed to go digging through the 100s or thousands of boxed items that are staged for shipping to find yours, open it, add a beanie to it? It’s akin to asking a concrete crew who is pouring for a new bridge to stop and make you an ash trey real quick.

Now imagine getting dozens, hundreds or even thousands of such requests during the Black Friday window.
I’m sure this is true. But they could have tossed a 2 dollar beanie in a soft mailer and sent this dude a beanie. Then he’d be in here talking about how awesome their customer service is instead of whining about it.