Why cant people accept the fact that some people dont need a drop tested scope?

atmat

WKR
Has anyone that now uses a drop tested scope, had success with non-drop tested scopes to the point they would say there wasn't a problem with the lesser scope based on the successful harvest?
I’ve used a handful of Leupold’s in the Vx- series, including a Vx3HD — which Form tested. All had wondering zeros. The Vx3HD I used one season predominantly blind hunting whitetail. I took 4 deer, but all were less than 150 yards.

In that sense, sure, you can kill game with failed scopes. But I basically babied that scope and it was still always off.

Now I’ve taken game with NF, SWFA, and S&B and not had wandering zero. I just picked up the new Maven and will use it in the fall. I won’t go back to scopes that fail drop tests.

I posed the question a number of pages back. I asked to share how many game animals a poster had taken with the scopes that were dropped tested, and if they had ever taken animals with non-drop tested scopes or ones that didn't do as well. I don't think there was a response.

Has anyone that now uses a drop tested scope, had success with non-drop tested scopes to the point they would say there wasn't a problem with the lesser scope based on the successful harvest?
Me! The majority of my hunting has been with a 30-06 and weaver classic 3-9, and later vortex diamondback 3-9. I never even considered shooting past 350 yards. Got the long range bug at some point and put a swfa 3-9 on there and started to realize what I had been dealing with on the lesser scopes was not necessary. A few rifles and scopes later I now enjoy the confidence of a rifle system that hits where it is supposed to.

Back in those days I also hunted in cotton cabelas clothing which got the job done, but there are much better tools out there..

wyosam

WKR
I posed the question a number of pages back. I asked to share how many game animals a poster had taken with the scopes that were dropped tested, and if they had ever taken animals with non-drop tested scopes or ones that didn't do as well. I don't think there was a response.

Sure- I just switched this winter so haven’t actually hunted with my shiny new drop tested scopes. Though looking back I think I did shoot one cow elk with an SWFA 3-15 during the brief time I hunted with it a few years back- didn’t care for FFP for hunting.

Killed a lot of game over the years with Leupold M8 6x, a vari x something or another 3-9, a Maven RS2 (that was my one scope that was way off after the ride up the Alcan in the moving truck), VX6hd 2-12 (this one spent 4 years on my primary hunting rifle, and has been solid. Don’t dial it much, but it has held zero).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pdzoller

WKR
For the price of the scopes I would use for hunting at distances greater than 300 yards, I’m not buying something ever again that hasn’t passed the drop test. I’ve been let down once before and once on a potentially once in a lifetime opportunity is WAY too much for me.

I look at it like grouping from different ammunition. Sure I can probably kill something with inconsistent ammunition that groups between one and five MOA but I personally would never trust it.

OP
MuleyFever
For the price of the scopes I would use for hunting at distances greater than 300 yards, I’m not buying something ever again that hasn’t passed the drop test. I’ve been let down once before and once on a potentially once in a lifetime opportunity is WAY too much for me.
But the real question for you and anyone else that thinks they are covered buying a drop tested scope is are you going to drop test your scope/rifle? The scope is only part of the system. Bunch of people trying to say people trusting a scope that has worked fine for someone is foolish, yet they have not tested their own system.

So I take it you're just trolling then? I mean for starters you are again asking something already asked/discussed in this thread a few times.
Not trolling. Just joining the conversation. Eventually I’ll probably read the answer to my question. But where I’ve gotten to after spending two sessions reading, I haven’t gotten that answer yet.

Thanks for the help. You’ve been great.

Maybe not in that language- but look what happens when someone posts about continuing to use or purchasing a Leupold (for example). It’s always “WHY would you do that when there are proven models!? Why would you risk the hunt of a lifetime? What happens when you fall 400 vertical feet down a mountain like I do every time I go for a walk in the mountains, because I’m hardcore (tongue slightly in cheek)?” Just ignore it.

I’ve never seen the shift in my own scopes, and a small shift wouldn’t matter for 99% of my shots on game anyway, yet here I am spending a bunch money and making my rifles heavier because it’s been a long winter with too much time to read shit on Rokslide. I like my new scopes, but there is no doubt the Leupold scope caps are way better than other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those damn leupold Aluminum caps.

I love them. Except when I have to buy them.

Pdzoller

WKR
But the real question for you and anyone else that thinks they are covered buying a drop tested scope is are you going to drop test your scope/rifle? The scope is only part of the system. Bunch of people trying to say people trusting a scope that has worked fine for someone is foolish, yet they have not tested their own system.
Edit *
What I previously wrote actually has nothing to do with your originally posted question.

It is interesting how people get worked up over stuff that they actually don’t have first hand experience with.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
I don’t believe that anything is fail proof. I am definitely going to try my best to stack things in my favor though.

Do we go wreck our cars just to see if the air bags deploy or do we look at crash testing to see what cars have the best ratings?
So are you drop testing your system like done here in the drop test or not? Simple yes or no question. If not you are doing no better than anyone else using any other scope.

Trying to compare it to cars is not the same. All cars coming off a production line are assumed to be built the same. You may not meet the same mounting requirements as a drop test by the testers here.

Pdzoller

WKR
So are you drop testing your system like done here in the drop test or not? Simple yes or no question. If not you are doing no better than anyone else using any other scope.

Trying to compare it to cars is not the same. All cars coming off a production line are assumed to be built the same. You may not meet the same mounting requirements as a drop test by the testers here.
To this question, yes I do test my equipment to my own standards. No I don’t advertise my results because of the same point you just made. I still like the car comparison though.

2531usmc

WKR
This

The drop test provides no more or no less real information than listening to your trusted friends saying “I used a (choose your brand) riflescope and it never let me down.

Reactions: SLM

freddyG

WKR
Using scopes that are likely to hold zero is no better than using scopes that are likely to lose zero? Makes no sense.

You are so emotionally invested in proving the people who use tested scopes wrong, you don’t think about what you post.

CorbLand

WKR

The vehicle analogy was not for comparing scopes, it was for the drop test and failure rates, not just failures.

If you went off of just failure, you could never buy a vehicle because every brand and model have had one that failed. Vehicles are also a system. Put a rock crawler on racing tires and see how far you get in the mountains.

Mounting systems would be like tires on your pickup. If you came on here and said I hate Ford, I always get stuck in mine. The first question most people are going to ask is what tires?

It’s almost as if people have to use a little common sense, objective reasoning and brain power to understand what tests show.

Yes, there are a few that are “ardent believers” and will just “parrot” the results of the drop test but you get that in everything. There’s a dude on here that bitches about Toyotas because of leaf springs. You have to just ignore them. For every one of those type, how many are directing people to the scope evils and leaving it at that?

Yes, once I have gotten a load my gun likes, I will do my own version of the drop test to make sure it holds.

Last edited:

Archer86

WKR
Using scopes that are likely to hold zero is no better than using scopes that are likely to lose zero? Makes no sense.

You are so emotionally invested in proving the people who use tested scopes wrong, you don’t think about what you post.
Same can be said for the ones who think the drop test is the end all be all.

I think he has a good point though why would you buy the drop tested scopes and not verify you mounted it correctly and there is no shift in the system. Since that was the reason for buying the scope they purchased.

I would bet that 90 percent of the guys that do buy a drop tested scope just mount it sight it in and off they go and the other 10 percent try to drop test and don't get the same results

fwafwow

WKR
Yes. I have killed whitetail with a Leupold VX-3 and a Tract. The VX-3 model predated the HD version, so technically it wasn't tested like the HD models that were evaluated. The Tract was evaluated and didn't pass. I don't know the number taken by either, but it wasn't many. All were at close range - at 100 yards max.
I don't know that I can answer this question, as my range was too close.

Same can be said for the ones who think the drop test is the end all be all.

I think he has a good point though why would you buy the drop tested scopes and not verify you mounted it correctly and there is no shift in the system. Since that was the reason for buying the scope they purchased.

I would bet that 90 percent of the guys that do buy a drop tested scope just mount it sight it in and off they go and the other 10 percent try to drop test and don't get the same results
And a lot of us are dropping setups and then figuring out what else needs to be adjusted in the system..

I’ve had to troubleshoot ring/base torque, action screw torque, and barrel torque. Mostly if I follow forms mounting procedure stuff doesn’t move.

try isolating the weak point of your system with a scope that does not hold up to impacts…

Other than the barrel that wasn’t torqued on, those shifts are tiny compared to the shifts a vx1 was doing from 12-18” 😂