Why cant people accept the fact that some people dont need a drop tested scope?

CorbLand

WKR
Small sample size, lack of formal statistics and analytics training, and confirmation bias come to mind as the top three contributors to these opinions (this goes far beyond scopes).
This is kind of a funny take on the drop test in my opinion. The only people that would have the resources to test a large number of scopes and run the analytics would be the companies that builds them or would be an outside source that the consumer would have to pay to receive the results. If consumers are unwilling to pay for that, manufactures would have to foot the bill.

So based on this...I should not trust the independent test that Form does because he doesnt have the ability to test large sample sizes but I should trust a companies that builds the scope (who should be doing similar tests on a large scale). One has nothing to lose by doing the test and publishing the results, the other has a lot to lose...

If manufactures are not doing the testing and an outside source did. People would either have to pay to receive the results( unlikely to happen) or manufactures would have to pay the outside source to run the tests. We all know an outside source would never accept more money to return a favorable opinion on a product...

So the solution based on this thread is that A) nobody should do any testing or B) if they do any testing, they should not share the results of their tests.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Decided I wanted to see who was the biggest blowhard in this dumpster fire based on post count (I was worried it might be me). There is certainly a clear winner, with several runners up.

@Marbles 17 + 1 =18
@mxgsfmdpx 22
@pods8 (Rugged Stitching) 26
@CorbLand 22
@fwafwow 9
@JGRaider 43
@wyosam 15
@35WhelenAI 24
@Macintosh 18

I will see if I can flex the self control muscle and keep myself from passing the 20 mark.
Did you only look for "blowhard" posts because some of mine were purely comedic relief?

fwafwow

WKR
Decided I wanted to see who was the biggest blowhard in this dumpster fire based on post count (I was worried it might be me). There is certainly a clear winner, with several runners up.

@Marbles 17 + 1 =18
@mxgsfmdpx 22
@CorbLand 22
@fwafwow 9
@JGRaider 43
@wyosam 15
@35WhelenAI 24
@Macintosh 18

I will see if I can flex the self control muscle and keep myself from passing the 20 mark.
If I had known it was a contest, I would have tried harder.
1706309073277.png

@Marbles 17 + 1 =18
@mxgsfmdpx 22
@CorbLand 22
@fwafwow 9
@JGRaider 43
@wyosam 15
@35WhelenAI 24
@Macintosh 18

Good one, no matter what side of the discussion your post count is on.

BjornF16

WKR
Obviously, some people have way too much time on their hands.

@Marbles 17 + 1 =18
@mxgsfmdpx 22
@CorbLand 22
@fwafwow 9
@JGRaider 43
@wyosam 15
@35WhelenAI 24
@Macintosh 18
@BjornF16 18

…and the winner is…

Axlrod

WKR
I felt like it was noteworthy since I confessed earlier in the thread I fall in the woods.

Now, I’m going to take my dogs for a hike and see if I can make it home without an ambulance and then make some jambalaya.
An important bit of distinction is missing from most of the threads that argue incessantly about drop testing. It is NOT about falling with your rifle. It is to predict which scopes will withstand the cumulative effects of recoil and general use, and still function. The same scopes that fail the drop test, have also been found to fail after just being used as a scope. So the tests are like a free time machine ride into the future.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Did you only look for "blowhard" posts because some of mine were purely comedic relief?
No, that would have made it subjective. So, just number of posts. Clearly not all are the same quality.

One could argue for word count (besides this being too much work), I feel most of the time higher word count per post actually reflects a more serious attempt to engage and discuss.

And, now if I make one more post I have hit 20 and my self control muscle has failed. Which I guess is an open invitation for people to ask questions and try to provoke another response.

I wish there was a shoulder shrug emoji for the "like" options.

An important bit of distinction is missing from most of the threads that argue incessantly about drop testing. It is NOT about falling with your rifle. It is to predict which scopes will withstand the cumulative effects of recoil and general use, and still function. The same scopes that fail the drop test, have also been found to fail after just being used as a scope. So the tests are like a free time machine ride into the future.
Understood. My sarcasm is obviously under the radar.

But, I did manage to drink two PBRs and get a pot of jambalaya on without chopping off a finger.

wyosam

WKR
No, that would have made it subjective. So, just number of posts. Clearly not all are the same quality.

One could argue for word count (besides this being too much work), I feel most of the time higher word count per post actually reflects a more serious attempt to engage and discuss.

And, now if I make one more post I have hit 20 and my self control muscle has failed. Which I guess is an open invitation for people to ask questions and try to provoke another response.

How many words does it take for a post to seem important to the overall dialogue, and not just a post count padding attempt at relevance? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR

Well you out smarted my goal.

How many words does it take for a post to seem important to the overall dialogue, and not just a post count padding attempt at relevance? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my opinion, relevance has a fairly direct correlation to: is it an emotional response that drags others down or disparages a persons view or a product when it's not that person's viewpoint. To me, it takes a modicum of words to develop a point or an argument, in support or defense of differing viewpoints. I probably am the poster child for word count, as I am a poster child scope user.

Last edited:
I posed the question a number of pages back. I asked to share how many game animals a poster had taken with the scopes that were dropped tested, and if they had ever taken animals with non-drop tested scopes or ones that didn't do as well. I don't think there was a response.

Has anyone that now uses a drop tested scope, had success with non-drop tested scopes to the point they would say there wasn't a problem with the lesser scope based on the successful harvest?