Why cant people accept the fact that some people dont need a drop tested scope?

Is there a component that measures the mounting system "run out" after the drops, or is that considered a constant and not contributing substantially in general?

With that, I have been fortunate I suppose with Leupold scopes over the past 30 years and their performance.

However, testing has opened my eyes to other options and appreciate the info it has provided.

BjornF16

WKR
To answer your question, aren’t we all trying to find a scope reliable in field use? If it passes multiple years, multiple hunts per year, plus range trips, (the dreaded drive down washboards), etc, what they hell else could you possibly want?
Sure we are…which is one reason to keep pressure on scope suppliers to make them more reliable/durable.

Honestly I could care less what people use. In most cases, it probably doesn’t matter as a lot of hunters aren’t shooting past 200 yards. In those cases, a 2 MOA shift is irrelevant if shooting into the boiler room.

But if we ignore it, nothing will ever change.

So, if someone jumps on touting my brand X has never let me down, why is there an issue questioning their actual use case and verification method of said scope being “solid”?

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I answered…perhaps you don’t like my answer?
No bud. You got it wrong. I don’t inject my opinion into these arguments for a reason.

I am keeping this thread on topic, as I do all the others the same. You are free to create your own thread and discuss what you want to.
Re-read the OP and you will find the question for discussion.

Billinsd

WKR
Nobody ever answered the question presented above a few posts......why do a random number of internet folks care what someone they've never met and never will meet, is hunting with, whether it's scope, rifle, cartridge, clothing, etc? Baffling to me
Random is such an overused and more importantly misused word. I taught my kids to stop doing that. It is a small number of annoyed Roksliders. I believe they are annoyed, like me because they despise others spewing false, and misleading information. We probably couldn’t care less if you bang your head on the wall, believing it will make you smarter. It is when you spout out about it as true, and could mislead others, that the non random, because they are annoyed about the same thing will jump in. I, myself get annoyed by misinformation and misleading information, because I’ve been lead astray many times in my life and abhor it when I see it. I strive to know the truth, and the facts. I NEVER want to mislead others, and strive not to do so.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Sure we are…which is one reason to keep pressure on scope suppliers to make them more reliable/durable.

Honestly I could care less what people use. In most cases, it probably doesn’t matter as a lot of hunters aren’t shooting past 200 yards. In those cases, a 2 MOA shift is irrelevant if shooting into the boiler room.

But if we ignore it, nothing will ever change.

So, if someone jumps on touting my brand X has never let me down, why is there an issue questioning their actual use case and verification method of said scope being “solid”?
I think this is the OPs point. Someone says they have had great luck with X scope and someone immediately jumps on and parrots a drop test.

I think you’re making the OPs point for him.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
How do you know whether or not:
1. I have contributed $ to the testing?
2. I have sent scopes in to Ryan and Form?

I’d say you assume too much…🤔

If you have, then great work. It's outside of my my statement and opinion/perspective that I shared in regards to first hand knowledge and experience. I'd say you assumed too much by thinking I considered your two possibilities of contribution 🫣 (I didn't)

While I wasn't singling you out, I also haven't seen any testing of yours and that was the specific point I conveyed.

Maybe rephrasing would give some food for thought. It seems common place for ABC scope fans to demand XYZ scope fans pony up proof of results, while not.doing so themselves.

Do a lot of people drop their rifles when out hunting? I've been hunting the coastal mountains of Kalifornia for 55 years and can't remember dropping my rifle.
I’ve tripped over hellacious deadfall and landed on my scope/rifle multiple times.

BjornF16

WKR
I think this is the OPs point. Someone says they have had great luck with X scope and someone immediately jumps on and parrots a drop test.

I think you’re making the OPs point for him.
I think I’m answering on why some people do that.

Wouldn’t runout in the mounts manifest as a change in zero with the control scope?
If we are talking the same thing, a fraction of change in the mounting orientation would manifest itself down range as a change in zero. However, it wouldn't necessarily mean anything with respect to dialing the square or dialing up/down, left/right part of the test.

My feeling is the test shows internal durability of a scope after the drops, etc but measuring zero before and after a drop may be not as good a metric of the scope (unless mounting systems are checked for no change). IMO.

Billinsd

WKR
On the other hand, people have differing expectations and different measuring metrics. One guy may say that his truck is amazing, but has replaced the transmission twice, the suspension three times, and the truck is in the shop at least once or twice every year..
This is the crux of it all. Also people are very brand loyal. I am a wee bit too. Regarding the Leupold scopes, most every rifle scope was a Leupold. I was hesitant and not buying more. I never had any trouble, I think? LOL. I am not brand loyal anymore. I tell others the good and the bad with my gear and vehicles. Now a days, I don’t trust many people, but I trust you much more than others 5 Miles back, because you are honest, straightforward, intelligent, and have a lot of common sense, plus I agree with most, of what you say. I’m sure I would disagree with some of what you believe.

I don’t know that anyone “needs” a drop tested scope. For a lot of those that are against it, and myself included a year ago, I babied my equipment. I didn’t want a scratch, and still don’t, but my rifles are not safe queens. They’re tools I intend to use and if some abuse happens that’s ok. What I want is a reliable, functioning setup. As mentioned earlier, especially for us in the east, our hunting style is much different. As stated, we walk a few hundred yards and climb into a stand, take a 50 yard shot and go home. A long shot for us may be 200 yards. But as I became a glass snob I started buying more expensive scopes. I never had an issue with the leupold vx5s I had. Never had an issue with the vortex vipers or razor. But from a probability standpoint, if I pushed my equipment, it’s bound to happen. The drop tests are a good way to show the abuse equipment takes and how it handles abuse, while still continuing to function. Listenin to the podcast explaining the how’s and whys made it all make sense. But back to the original question, no, not everyone needs a drop tested scope. But not everyone is gonna baby their equipment. If you’re gonna put it to the test on a hunt of a lifetime, faulty equipment should be the least of your worries.

Billinsd

WKR
I’ve tripped over hellacious deadfall and landed on my scope/rifle multiple times.
Edited to say, I am so sorry isitfallyet, I rushed in too fast and made a terrible mistake, and misjudgment!!! Please accept my apology. I do make mistakes, and errors and this was a big one!!!

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
But back to the original question, no, not everyone needs a drop tested scope. But not everyone is gonna baby their equipment. If you’re gonna put it to the test on a hunt of a lifetime, faulty equipment should be the least of your worries.
Everyone that wants a reliable scope needs a drop test. Otherwise you are kidding yourself. On my hunts of a lifetime my equipment is one of my biggest concerns, because if it fails, I will likely not make the kill. And it has happened to me. It’s fine if people choose to use faulty and unreliable equipment. It’s wrong to try and convince or mislead others it’s fine. People will still do it, it’s very common and cultural, especially amongst hunters.

SDHNTR

WKR
In my mind, you have two choices:

1. You can buy a vehicle that is either not crash tested at all, unknown as to whether it’s tested, or has been tested and shown a tendency to fail.

Or…

2. You can buy a vehicle that has been independently tested and shown a tendency to pass and/or be a more reliable/safer vehicle.

Easy choice for me, especially when cost has been shown to be irrelevant.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
And? your point? I tripped and fell on top of my Nightforce scope and then shot it to confirm it was still zeroed and it was. This is an example of arguments or responses that fail out of the starting gate, because of poor grammar and/or incomplete/incoherent. Versus mine, where I state I abused my Nightforce and checked it afterwards and it was fine.
Dude did you even read what he was replying to which put his reply COMPLETELY into context? No one even mentioned a brand in that, just how something might happen.

Someone asked: "Do a lot of people drop their rifles when out hunting? I've been hunting the coastal mountains of Kalifornia for 55 years and can't remember dropping my rifle."

He replied: "I’ve tripped over hellacious deadfall and landed on my scope/rifle multiple times."

MT_Wyatt

WKR
@Team4LongGun I too am beyond sick of every thread devolving - but this thread has been a good objective discussion I think. I’m not reading anyone going off the rails on here?

The OPs question of “why” people can’t just let luepold users be is interesting - the responses that are so incredibly dug in with no open mindedness are a plenty. There’s valid arguments on both sides, but the “prove it” calls on both sides are typically unanswered. The rub comes when your avid brand supporter calls everyone wrong and their scope is just fine - then they attack validity of field testing, which has been answered so many times. Which is met in turn with absolute rejection and a bit of tribalism. Both are frustrating in different ways. I like that stuff is getting tested but hate the absolutism that’s propagated as a result.