Who dead hangs regularly?

Dead hang 2-3 times a week to warm up my shoulders and then in between sets of whatever pressing I do for lifts.

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any other tips for improving shoulder impingement issues?

I dislocated both shoulders throughout the years, the most recent one 2 years ago.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
One day I was listening to Joe Rogan and heard him talking about it. I always have back and shoulder pain and hoped it would help. I am super inconsistent about the amount of time I do it for, but I try to do it after stretching and before my workout every day. Makes an enormous difference throughout the day on the days I do it with discipline (1 min, 3x).

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
This is new to me but I'm going to start today. Looks like a great way to stretch out my shoulders and decompress my spine.

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
I do it 4-5 times a week. I incorporate it into my workouts. I think it has really helped my shoulder pain.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
for improving shoulder impingement issues
I’ve been doing face pulls, and cross body pulls with each arm edit- light band -then switch around do the other side. Some blog I saw using a soccer size ball and rolling it around one handed against a wall.

Last edited:

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
I dead hang and pull my legs up into an l shape for part of my hang or repetitions. Great for the core also.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I’ll give them a try as a means of decompressing the spine and conditioning my grip. I usually do hanging bar shrugs as a warm up for pull up/chin up workouts.

eamyrick

WKR
Dead hang pull ups have been part of my weekly workouts for 15 years. The more slow and controlled the better. As far as spine decompression, if I get into child’s pose and then take slow deep breath my spine usually “pops” after 30-40 seconds. Sometimes I’ll rotate my palms upward and that does the trick.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been fighting shoulder issues for a couple of years. Several months ago I started doing dead hangs and face pulls while lifting. I am almost completely pain free now.

sacklunch

WKR
Why? Did someone on the internet say it's cool? Unless you're a climber and using a finger board maybe.

Far more efficient/beneficial/'functional' ways to work on grip, core, shoulders...heavy farmers carry or plate holds to name a few.

Also more efficient ways to decompress the spine if thats the goal. a few seconds of hangs until grip wears out is not realistically enough time to have much spinal decompression, from my peronal expereince anyways

Last edited:
OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I say it is very beneficial. Farmer carries are also good but very different. If you have not done them regularly for a while you really don't know what they do.

sacklunch

WKR
I say it is very beneficial. Farmer carries are also good but very different. If you have not done them regularly for a while you really don't know what they do.
They stretch the rotator cuff (slighlt strength work as well), work grip strength and minimally decompress the spine (not enough time). Just because I think they're massively inefficient and ineffective, doesn't mean I don't know what they do.

But Joe Rogan says they're cool, so, press.

More efficient workouts allow for more productivity in a given ammount of time. If we did every new fad/gimmick that some internet influencer posted about, we'd be in the gym all day. You do you, just saying there are better ways to crack that nut.

Last edited:
OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Everything can be described as a fad and you can find any exercise you name being promoted by someone.
Dead hangs address things which are not similarly addressed by other means and many people find them beneficial.

Farmers carry is very different from a dead hang

Last edited:

sacklunch

WKR
Everything can be described as a fad and you can find any exercise you name being promoted by someone.
Dead hangs address things which are not similarly addressed by other means and many people find them beneficial.

Farmers carry is very different from a dead hang
Sure thing. I guess I'll let you continue to reap all the 'benefits' while I waste my time doing productive exercises...

You keep touting their benefits but don't list any

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Dead hangs are very productive. I have listed my thoughts on how that is in this thread.

Joe Rogan was not one of them.

sacklunch

WKR
What did dead hangs do to make you so mad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's just comical, the endless gimmicky fitness BS I see on hunting forums. It's like the mindless crossfit insanity from 2008-9 when dudes were buying pukey the clown shirts like getting Rhabdo meant you were a badass. Only the bro science is so much stronger here