Who dead hangs regularly?

Bubdog

FNG
Its part of my warmup, I hang for at least one minute everyday. I started about two years ago when I was having pain from throwing a baseball alot while coaching my sons little league team. The hanging cured the pain almost immediately.

hiker270

WKR
Part of my workout. 3-4 times a week. 3 sets 30-45 seconds each. Great stretch for the back.

TheHammer

WKR
Just started back this week. I have the kids a little ninja course set up in the basement. And use the rings. Typically incorporate sets of pull-ups and leg raisers between 30second hangs.

Maverick1

WKR
I work out regularly but have not incorporated any dead hangs into those workouts. While not exactly the same, weighted pull-ups and deadlifts are exercises I perform on a routine basis, which provide similar benefits to the dead hang.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Actually just started doing them this week along with sitting in the bottom of an ass to grass squat, both for about 30 seconds a couple times each. I’ve heard Dan John recommend this a few times so figured I’d give it a try. I’m doing them first thing in the morning while my coffee is cooking. I do think I’m feeling a little improvement in mobility.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
It is a great thing to do regularly and not similar to other strength exercises at all imo...good for all upper body joints and spine. Keep head up to keep spine straight. I have heard that as a gauge of fitness a 40 year old that can do 2 minutes at dead hang is in very good condition...

I am 66.5 yoa, 6', 210# and am up to solid 45 second hangs. Goal is 1:30 x3, 5 times a week. I think that dead hangs for longer duration done regularly over time increases upper body strength across the board and the benefits to the spine/spinal erectors and other shoulder and back muscles takes time and consistency to realize although big issues may improve fairly quickly.

What the heck, just do it for 6 months and see what happens.....I promise it will not be a negative result. There are so many non glamorous exercises that are very beneficial and we hardly ever see anyone doing those...

jp08ee

FNG
Yep, I do it for a couple 4sec-1min warmup sessions usually 3 times a week. I have a torn labrum from years of baseball/softball and if I stop for several weeks, I start feeling the issue in my shoulder again.

Yoder

WKR
I just do it for 30 seconds or so for a stretch. I just bought a pair of the gravity boots that you can hook on to a pull up bar and hang upside down. I've used them a few times so far and they are really good for spinal decompression.

LostArra

WKR
Sure good stretch for shoulders.
I'm not OCD enough to worry about sets and reps.

Very common wrestling exercise:
Chins or pull ups to failure then hang until failure. Great for grip strength.

JP100

WKR
Yep, usually 2-3 times a week

You'd be surprised how it can help something like pull ups, and over all grip strength, great for if you have had grip issues/problems.

As I get older I've had much more should pain which relates to becoming less accurate with my bow. A few shoulder exercises and hanging has helped immensely. Don't underestimate the good hanging can do.

mac37

FNG
Dead hang 7 mins total every day. Work up from :10 to 2:00. Fun challenge. It’s a habit for me now. Link is the guy who got me started.