Who can cut down a fluted barrel?

Thanks Gtriple. I"ll be figuring it out and will use your info for sure.

Are there any 6.5 cans or are they all basically 5.56 or 30?

Thats what I was wondering though, IS there ANY benefit at all if I was Never Ever going to want a suppressed 30? Which, isn't a guaranteed statement...

gtriple

WKR
Thats what I was wondering though, IS there ANY benefit at all if I was Never Ever going to want a suppressed 30? Which, isn't a guaranteed statement...
Not that I've read. No real difference in suppression. You'll only be limiting your ability to suppress anything above 6.5mm. No 7PRC, 6.8Western, 30 cal... just no real reason not to go 30 cal.

fwafwow

WKR
I almost just purchased as 6.5 can, but I already have 30 covered. But even if I didn’t have a 30 already, I’m at a point in my shooting life that I could never shoot above 6.5 and be fine. YMMV.

Yeah, I'm thinking honestly I could stay 6.5 for about everything that I'm gonna be shooting alot. IF I shoot some bigger stuff it will be rarely and I'll just use lots of hearing protection!! Or buy a new can!!

gtriple

WKR
Yeah, I'm thinking honestly I could stay 6.5 for about everything that I'm gonna be shooting alot. IF I shoot some bigger stuff it will be rarely and I'll just use lots of hearing protection!! Or buy a new can!!
What advantage do you get with a 6.5 can?

It is said to reduce the noise a couple more decibels to match the suppressor diameter to the caliber.

However, I think it might be different from one make of can to the next. I was shooting my ultra7 against my new jk 155 today (both 30 cal), and in similar lengths/configurations, to my ear it sounded like the 223 did better than 308win in the ultra7, but the 308win did better in the jk155 than the 223rem. I need to do more testing, but that was my initial impression. I'm also hoping to try a 223 or 6.5 end cap for the jk155, to see if it makes a difference.

Pulling this back up. I just bought superlight yesterday and am just trying to double/triple check that the cut down into the threads is legit. In search of local smith that will handle it and thinking I may need to show him some existings.

The above Bartlein cut down looks like a heavier barrel than the Tikka SLs...

Anyone else want to chime in with experience in this? I saw "you may be able to sell your barrel and get a prefit for not much difference in price" or something like that. What is a 6.5 CM superlite barrel worth unaltered/never shot??

Thanks for the discussion!

Tikka superlite cut to 16 inches, threaded 1/2x28 with a 5/8x24 thread adapter.

Attachments

• 20231209_100356.jpg
    20231209_100356.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 80
Tikka superlite cut to 16 inches, threaded 1/2x28 with a 5/8x24 thread adapter.
Wow glad you chimed in. So, 16"... working out good? What kind of velocities are you getting? Can you post a pic of whole gun? Did you go lightweight on the scope or big and heavy duty?

Is your smith fabricating an adapter or buying?

Seems the Ultra 7 is pretty highly regarded... you recommend it after having and shooting it for a while?

Thanks!

Can you measured the OD to the base of flutes? Just wondering since I've got 2 barrels like this but only cut to 21".
My apologies, looks like I must have had the calipers inside the flutes barely in the first pic last night, as I'm getting a wider reading this morning. That's what I get for trying to hold the calipers in one hand and the camera in the other LOL. No guarantees! First pic here is an uncut 243win superlite.

Attachments

• 20231209_100453.jpg
    20231209_100453.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231209_100356.jpg
    20231209_100356.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 48
My apologies, looks like I must have had the calipers inside the flutes barely in the first pic last night, as I'm getting a wider reading this morning. That's what I get for trying to hold the calipers in one hand and the camera in the other LOL. No guarantees! First pic here is an uncut 243win superlite.
yeah and ignore my questions here since you answered them all on the other thread, other than showing an out the door pic of your rifle! THanks!

Wow glad you chimed in. So, 16"... working out good? What kind of velocities are you getting? Can you post a pic of whole gun? Did you go lightweight on the scope or big and heavy duty?

Is your smith fabricating an adapter or buying?

Seems the Ultra 7 is pretty highly regarded... you recommend it after having and shooting it for a while?

Thanks!
Here are a couple tikka configurations:

green krg bravo stock, tikka t3 with 18 inch 6.5prc barrel (bartlein) and trijicon tenmile.

B&c stock, factory t3 223rem superlite cut to 16, swfa 3-15x42

Hnt26 chassis, t3x factory 6.5creedmoor cut to 20 inches.

*Don't judge my gorgeous gorilla tape mods!

The 6.5prc is a great shooter, but it's heavy enough that it doesn't like to leave the truck... like 11lbs with the suppressor and tripod. Gets in the high 2800 range depending on which hornady eld type bullet is used.

The 6.5creedmoor wearing the tbac Magnus in the 2nd pic is the rifle that gets most of the love, as it is easy to shoot for the youth hunters I take out. 4 deer and 3 elk so far this season, still have 6 more cow tags to fill this month when the kids get out of school. Handloaded 140eld is about 2660fps, factory Hornady cx superformance gets in there at 2873fps.

The 223rem is getting a stockys VG soon, and probably a swfa 2.5-10x32. On the labradar the other day, Stand1armory 77tmk clocked at an average of 2755.

In regards to your suppressor questions: I like my ultra7G2 30cal for an all around do it all, but still lightweight can. But it's not easy to clean, and will gain an ounce of carbon very quickly. Even doing the recommended clr treatment, it has never gotten down to the advertised weight... it hovers around 10.4-10.7 oz for me including the direct thread. But doesn't take too many rounds to get to 11oz. Shooting a 300win mag on a lightweight seekins havak element, young shooters still notice the recoil, but it's tamed measurably. Not quiet enough to shoot without ear pro in practice, but enough to not have ears ringing when taking a shot on a deer or elk. On the other hand, 308win and under is IMO marginally hearing safe for a shot at the range, but not more than 2.

The suppressor that gets the most use is the tbac Magnus. 16.9oz... it is truly hearing safe on the 308win and under, but not more than 5 rounds in a row or so. Except for 223rem, I could probably shoot that all day long with the Magnus and not have ringing in my ears.

New to me, and only slightly tested is the modular jk 155vsx, shown in the pic with just 4 baffles, but can go up to 9 plus a toner. When it's as long as the ultra7, it's pretty close to the same decible suppression to my ear... and the same weight, about 10.2oz... but far easier to clean to maintain that weight. But at 4 baffles, I can get it into the 8.4oz range, if I'm going ultralight. But, it is no where near hearing safe. Probably comparable with it Shooting 223rem to the Ultra7 Shooting 300wm. Probably quiet enough for 1 shot or 2 in a hunting scenario.

I'll point out though... the heavy Magnus is quiet enough with 6.5cm that on several occasions this fall, the elk or deer being shot at had no idea what happened from 200-400 yards away... the others in the herd just stood around, unspooked during the few seconds it took for the target animal to expire. In one instance, we waited 15 minutes for the rest of the elk to clear out, as we did not want to spook the herd if possible.

Attachments

• 20231209_101926.jpg
    20231209_101926.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20231209_102224.jpg
    20231209_102224.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20231209_102757.jpg
    20231209_102757.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 64
yeah and ignore my questions here since you answered them all on the other thread, other than showing an out the door pic of your rifle! THanks!
No worries! And I'll note, I love my tikkas (as you can see lol)... but if you had to pin me down to grab just ONE rifle for a deep backcountry hunt where every ounce counts (and i wasnt catering to young hunters)... it would not be one of these... and not a rifle I should share/hype on a "tikka" focused forum. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you some pics if you need alternatives.

donrleonard

Lil-Rokslider
Relieved to see this thread. I made an impulse buy on a Browning X Bolt in 7PRC last year. It's got a 24" fluted pencil counter barrel with a Hawg of a muzzle break on the end of it. Medium term I'd love to chop it down and put a suppressor on it, but thought I wouldn't be able to.

Any accuracy issues introducing a thread adapter? This is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle, so I'm not chasing .1 MOA, but I am chasing 1 MOA :)

Relieved to see this thread. I made an impulse buy on a Browning X Bolt in 7PRC last year. It's got a 24" fluted pencil counter barrel with a Hawg of a muzzle break on the end of it. Medium term I'd love to chop it down and put a suppressor on it, but thought I wouldn't be able to.

Any accuracy issues introducing a thread adapter? This is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle, so I'm not chasing .1 MOA, but I am chasing 1 MOA :)

Most any suppressor these days already has a "thread adapter" of some sort built into it that you can change or spec. If you want to swap to multiple rifles with the same thread pitch, i'd not worry about adding another adapter on the muzzle though.

AkRyan

WKR
You won't be happy with the results imo, better off buying a take off barrel or just order one. Better yet just sell the roughtec and but a standard ss tikka then your $500 ahead and it's the rifle you want.

AkRyan

WKR
It's one of those interesting things where "it's a bad idea", but no one can tell you why with any concrete info.

The truth is that there is no issue doing it other than it can look a bit weird. If the flute didn't create a thin spot and blow up already, then it isn't going to ever blow up. It's extremely rare for flutes to be deep enough to not clean up from threading anyway. Many of these guys don't bother to measure anything, they just feel it's bad.

Same thing as a "gunsmith" saying you can't drill scope mount holes over the chamber. Really? Seems like TC and Ruger didn't get that memo.

Gunsmiths are a superstitious lot.

Jeremy
Bearing surface for the suppressor to mount to, this is why you don't see rifles in mag cartridges being threaded 1/2x28. Will it work....sure, is it ideal......not at all.
If it was a great idea we would see them on shelves in gun stores.