Whitetail Rifle

FLS

WKR
Buy him a bolt action 223 and keep the 30-06. Take the 223 to the range and shoot the barrel out of it. Learn to be a rifleman with the 223. If it’s legal and your comfortable , it’s and adequate deer cartridge. If not, you have the 30-06 that is adequate for everything up to dangerous African game , and has some sentimental value.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Savage 30-06. Recently put a new scope on it. Extremely accurate rifle. Unless you are wanting to keep that old 06 in the safe for safe keeping I'd get him out there killing deer with it. If you going to get a new gun a 308 would be pretty slick and he'll be able to shoot a lot with it for much less money. I'd love a short barrelled 308 with a suppressor. I'd prolly hear better if I'd had one when I was just starting out.

hiker270

WKR
If your son's 30-06 is a decent shooter you've got the 30 caliber covered. Everything in North America from deer, elk, and moose your 06 will be sufficient, So another caliber like 223, 243, 6.5cm or 7mm-08 would all be good choices. One deciding factor for me would be ammo availability. Buying a caliber with limited availability or available at a very high price may not be a good choice.

If your son's 30-06 is a decent shooter you've got the 30 caliber covered. Everything in North America from deer, elk, and moose your 06 will be sufficient, So another caliber like 223, 243, 6.5cm or 7mm-08 would all be good choices. One deciding factor for me would be ammo availability. Buying a caliber with limited availability or available at a very high price may not be a good choice.
Good advice right here.

6.5CM. Ivet been an avid .308 guy, and have some others as well, but our 2 Tikkas in 6.5CM are hands down the favorite. Light recoil, great bullet selection, accurate. I’ve dropped nicely sized white tail from 30-400 yards no problem. We like to use ELDX and Barnes LRX bullets.

A lot depends where you hunt? How far can you see and actually get a shot off at a deer. For me a little .308 the short action bolt and barrel make it super easy to maneuver if still hunting through the woods. The ammo is cheap and available everywhere, and is should be accurate enough to shoot 300 yards.