Whitetail Rifle

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Savage 110 High Country in 6.5CM with a Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 as my primary whitetail rifle and it's definitely one of my favorites to shoot. For hunting I use the Hornady Precision Hunter factory loads with 143gr ELD-Xs. I'm seeing a lot of 6.5CM on the shelves and on the internet now so you'll be able to find cheap(er) plinking ammo, like a bulk 120gr OTM round or similar, for practice

Heavier than my dad's T3X in .308 but it's a lot easier to make the rifle fit with the pop-in adjustable comb height that actually allows you to get a good cheek weld/sight picture with whatever height rings you're using. The heavier rifle with the lower recoil cartridge, plus not having to reach to get a good sight picture lets you 1) stay on target to spot impacts and 2) not get beat up and have a terrible time while you're shooting. The barrel is also threaded in the event he wanted to add a brake or a can.

I’ll echo the comments about the Ruger American (or predator). If you’re looking for a budget friendly option that’s good for kids or weekend warriors, this is one to at least look at. I got one on .308, and it shoots very well. Like others have suggested, get a readily available caliber.

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed a lot deer with my bergara 18” 6.5 creed (123sst and 130vld) and target shoot to 1000 all day without any fatigue with a suppressor.

I have a 6creed at the smith getting cut to 18” to tinker with next (plan on shooting 115vld).

Since he is probably not done growing yet I would look at something that has an adjustable length of pull and riser, if budget allows. A cheek riser is pretty easy to alter by adding doing a diy job of adding material to the stock. Length of pull would require cutting or purchasing a different stock.

Look for someone or somewhere that will let him shoot several rifles and cartridges. A muzzle break may reduce felt recoil but that blast can also cause a flinch due to sound and percussion. Single shots are also an option, that multiple cartridge barrels can be purchased in the future.

There is a ton of info throughout this site. Use the search function for anything that you want info on and something will come up, and ask questions most everyone is willing to help out or just blow smoke.

JjamesIII

WKR
Long story leading into a question. Until this year I always hunted w a bow. My uncles passed early this year and I inherited his guns. One of which was his hunting rifle an old savage 30-06 w an old savage 4x scope. This rifle hasn't seen the woods in 30 plus years. Had it checked out and all that cleaned up real good got shots through it sighted back in over the summer with my son. My sons 14 but a big 14 5'11 almost 200 pounds so handles the rifle well. His goal was to take his very first deer exactly how my uncle had it setup. Which he did a decent doe at 80 yards. Dropped it in its tracks. Now he's thinking he wants a new rifle for next year. What rifle, caliber and scopes would you recommend. He wants something that he can hunt with but also go to the range and shoot for awhile.
All these guys still recommending the 308- so many better choices that have made it practically obsolete. Can it work? Sure. But I’m not going to build a house manually sawing the wood when I have a circular saw.
Get a Creedmoor, ammo is everywhere and ballistically speaking, the 308 can’t hold its lunch. Boringly accurate, better ke, less drift, little recoil.
If you already have a 308, use it- but I can never recommend actually considering that caliber for a new shooter. Unless you really want to learn wind calls and have a scope that you want to crank the wheels off 😂

tony

WKR
14 and 5’11” 200 pounds
Any scholarship offers yet?
Raising a bruiser there (y)

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Keep 30-06 update scope. Just going out to shoot is getting expensive these days. If he wants to go out to the range and do some shooting look into a .223.

TL616

FNG
Sounds like your uncles rifle may be the ticket? Nice family piece too, why buy something new?

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your budget? I’m a big fan of 6mm Creedmoor for whitetail size animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheHammer

WKR
I’m a big fan of the savage 110s. A lot of options for barrels and stock colors to fit someone’s tastes, I have yet to see one less accurate than the shooter, the ability to fit the stock to the person is a huge plus for consistent accuracy. 308s always a great choice, doesn’t beat you up to bad and ammo is readily available just about everywhere, and priced pretty reasonable in comparison to other cartridges. If you and him want a project building a rifle is always cool. What does he say? What does he want? Keep us posted.

Unckebob

WKR
Hard to beat a .308 with a good scope. That rifle is capable of harvesting any game in North America. Many rifle manufacture options out there. Ammo is available and at a reasonable price as compared to many other calibers. If you're concerned with recoil or flinching, you can get one with a muzzle break, with the option to move into the suppressor realm later. Good Luck!

This ^^^^^^

It and the 6.5CM (basically a necked down 308) are perfect choices in times when ammo shortages limit choices. The are the most available cartridges right now.

For the OP, the Savage Axis II and Ruger American are inexpensive, accurate, and reliable.

If you expect your son to keep growing, you might want get a Savage with the AccuFit stock. They are very easy to set up to fit him as he grows.

If he's gonna be hitting the range often I'd go with 308 or 6.5CM for ammo options and availability as well as overall cost. I'd avoid all the boutique calibers either way. You could also just upgrade the optic on the rifle you've got but I understand you may want to leave it as is for sentimental reasons.

Tim Box

FNG
Long story leading into a question. Until this year I always hunted w a bow. My uncles passed early this year and I inherited his guns. One of which was his hunting rifle an old savage 30-06 w an old savage 4x scope. This rifle hasn't seen the woods in 30 plus years. Had it checked out and all that cleaned up real good got shots through it sighted back in over the summer with my son. My sons 14 but a big 14 5'11 almost 200 pounds so handles the rifle well. His goal was to take his very first deer exactly how my uncle had it setup. Which he did a decent doe at 80 yards. Dropped it in its tracks. Now he's thinking he wants a new rifle for next year. What rifle, caliber and scopes would you recommend. He wants something that he can hunt with but also go to the range and shoot for awhile.
Nothing shabby about a savage 30 06 doll it up with new optics and go hunting

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
Keep the .30-06 and put a new $150 scope and rings on it. Ammo is cheap and it’s one of the best rounds there is for lots of different sized animals.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
People go on about recoil these days. An able bodied adult or big kid should be able to handle a shotgun or 30-06. Plus only take one shot for hunting. I put a heavy coat or vest on for target shooting.

As for the scope, even if it was a good brand, scopes have come a long way I bet in 30 years. I do usually set my power at 4, where I hunt, which is 30-50 yards. 2-7 or 3-9.

As for which to buy, hard to say for a kid. How much do you spend? Do you let him hunt a few years to see if he sticks with it? How do you handle who is paying for it?

They don't make the leupold VX2, I think freedom line replaced it. Which is probably a decent choice for a new hunter. The 3i runs around $350 I think for my 3-9.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Without reading this entire thread I would first ask what where do you do the majority of your hunting. If you are hunting out west a rifle which you can use for longer range hunting might be a better choice. If you are hunting where a long shot would be 100 yards, I would look into a 30-30. At his age and size he will not have any issues shooting most anything, within reason. My 15 year old grandson handles a 30-06 shooting 180 gr. rounds. with no problem. He said shooting it is not uncomfortable. He has shot it several times in a row at the range. That being said, all kids are different and what one can handle, may be too much for another teen.