Whitetail hunting is now a lottery / points game for residents and non- residents. Is that the future ?

Kurts86

WKR
It’s a numbers game. I don’t see it changing much for whitetail deer.

The US has approximately:
15 million hunters
30 million whitetails
4 million mule deer
1 million elk

Add to that whitetail hunting is mostly controlled by land access rather than state agency allocation.

fatlander

WKR
When I'm loosing crops, it becomes my responsibility to let strangers on my property?

No.

When you’re losing them due to the peoples resource that is kept in trust by the state, yes. It’s a very simple concept. Kill more deer on your own, through the already ridiculous amount of antlerless bonus stamps that can be purchased, allow more people you personally know access to do the same, and/or allow walk in public hunting to do achieve the end goal.

You will never convince me that shooting deer during the summer, at night, with rifles, to let them waste is your right as a property owner. It’s wanton waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you’re losing them due to the peoples resource that is kept in trust by the state, yes. It’s a very simple concept. Kill more deer on your own, through the already ridiculous amount of antlerless bonus stamps that can be purchased, allow more people you personally know access to do the same, and/or allow walk in public hunting to do achieve the end goal.

You will never convince me that shooting deer during the summer, at night, with rifles, to let them waste is your right as a property owner. It’s wanton waste.

That's not what you stated. You said for a landowner to get depredation tags, a landowner must open their land to walk in public. That's bullshit.

fatlander

WKR
That's not what you stated. You said for a landowner to get depredation tags, a landowner must open their land to walk in public. That's bullshit.

That is what I stated. You know as well as I do, in Virginia you can continue to buy antlerless bonus stamps at 3 dollars a deer until your heart is content. If you personally, coupled with the other people you allow access to your land, cannot control your deer with unlimited tags for 3 months of the season, you should have to open it to public walk in hunting before you’re issued a single depredation tag.

That is what I stated. You know as well as I do, in Virginia you can continue to buy antlerless bonus stamps at 3 dollars a deer until your heart is content. If you personally, coupled with the other people you allow access to your land, cannot control your deer with unlimited tags for 3 months of the season, you should have to open it to public walk in hunting before you’re issued a single depredation tag.

So someone who has all crops, and deer are coming in from adjoining property all summer, what do you propose for them?

Once hunting season is here the damage is done, they disperse and now what?

fatlander

WKR
So someone who has all crops, and deer are coming in from adjoining property all summer, what do you propose for them?

Once hunting season is here the damage is done, they disperse and now what?

That’s a cost of doing business. Deer have always been on the landscape. Monocrop agriculture hasn’t. The wildlife is a resource owned by the people, your business doesn’t change that. The struggle of making a living farming isn’t lost on me. I commend you for the work you do on pencil thin margins to feed mostly ignorant and ungrateful people.

With that said, if you actually worked through the steps of opening hunting coupled with bonus and DMAP stamps during hunting seasons and still haven’t fixed your issues, then you should be able to access your year round depredation tags, but the barrier to entry should be higher than “the deer are eating me out of house and home, it’s so bad they’re eating the posted signs.”