Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Howa 1500

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Tikka T3x Lite Stainless

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • Tikka Veil Alpine

Votes: 9 9.2%

• Total voters
More points toward the Mesa! Comes threaded with a brake and a thread protector. You can start with the brake, then remove and replace with the thread protector as you get comfortable. For NW hunting, it’s hard to beat stainless with cerakote. Personally, I’d avoid the chromoly barrels you’d get with the cheaper Bergara line and the browning if you intend to hunt in extended wet weather.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I left out is that I’m partially going down to a 6.5 because I’m recoil shy. I’m hoping a lot of reps with this gun will eventually help out with that at larger calibers.
I just stepped up from Creed to PRC. I should have gotten the PRC to begin with. The PRC just has a little bit more pepper is all. Shooting lighter grain bullets with it also makes a difference also. Had the creedmore for two years and it worked but I alway's felt it was lacking a bit. I don't care much for recoil myself and prefer to be able to see my hits.-WW

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One thing I left out is that I’m partially going down to a 6.5 because I’m recoil shy. I’m hoping a lot of reps with this gun will eventually help out with that at larger calibers.
I like the 6.5 creedmoor, and think it works for what you want. Just a couple of thoughts based on the purpose of getting the new caliber. Ignore the rest of this if you don't want unsolicited advice on the topic of recoil shyness.

I am very sensitive to the sound and concussive blast. When it comes to reps with a lighter rifle, I've done that. I did it with a .223 bolt action so I could really separate the act of shooting from the flinch inducing noise and recoil. I am not sure if the 6.5 has enough reduced recoil to get you the benefit that you want. I was shooting my 7 magnum, my 6 XC/Creedmoor, and my bolt action .223. It was reps with the .223 and probably the thousands of rounds of .22 LR and dry fire that trained my body to follow the process of shooting instinctually so that it was automatic and not influenced by the flinch. The 6 cm is obviously less, but it wasn't as helpful as the .223 and .22 for me. It was during that time that I got a suppressor, so I don't know how much I can separate out its profound effect, but I know lots of dry fire and reps with .223 and .22 LR was extremely helpful to habituate my body mechanics and mind.

Have you considered spending the money on a suppressor instead of a new rifle?

It is easier for me to shoot a suppressed magnum than it is for me to shoot a braked 6mm. A large part of recoil shyness is physiological, and it is what the brain is doing without you knowing it. When there is a loud sound, sonic concussion, coupled with the physical recoil, it seems the obvious thing is to reduce the physical recoil, because it is what we are most conscious of. People have told me that they can handle the recoil, and that it doesn't affect them, but range time betrays them. I video tape their trigger break, I slip in empty brass, and they either admit/realize they aren't as manly as they think or they deny it. If they deny it, I casually just let them shoot and give them some pointers, but I don't even try to help them. Its only the ones who realize the truth that you can't train out reflexes, you can only adapt and minimize them.

You are admitting to the recoil shyness, so you have a huge benefit. the reason I say what I do, is that the brain reacts to the sound and concussive blast far more than the physical recoil. It is instinct and reflex deep in our lizard brains over which we cannot exert conscious control and we can't train out. I've found that most of us just aren't aware of it until we shoot with a suppressor. When we shoot with a suppressor and separate out the physical recoil from the loud sound and sonic concussion, it is much easier to shoot magnums and deal with the physical recoil. Ultimately, that is why people who shoot with suppressors don't go back to suffer through the sound and concussive wave, because that is the worst part of recoil. I can easily deal with physical recoil shooting a magnum with a suppressor until my arm is bruised and sore, and there is no flinch until I feel the pain. Once it becomes painful, the flinch comes. Consequently, I think that the sound and concussive blast is painful to the brain, though we don't register it like we do a bruised arm.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
A .22 would probably be a smart investment in general and help me with training. I have a .22 pistol and it's definitely helped there, so maybe I'll swap it for a rifle. I usually notice my issues when I forget to take the safety off...anticipating, flinching, pulling. Definitely getting better but, in addition to a lighter recoiling rifle, I'm also interested in the flat shot/BC on the 6.5's as I look to extend my range.

The PRC sounds nice but like someone else mentioned, Creedmoor is not only more available ammo wise but used gun wise as well. 230 used creedmoors on GB compared to 39 in PRC...

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A .22 would probably be a smart investment in general and help me with training. I have a .22 pistol and it's definitely helped there, so maybe I'll swap it for a rifle. I usually notice my issues when I forget to take the safety off...anticipating, flinching, pulling. Definitely getting better but, in addition to a lighter recoiling rifle, I'm also interested in the flat shot/BC on the 6.5's as I look to extend my range.

The PRC sounds nice but like someone else mentioned, Creedmoor is not only more available ammo wise but used gun wise as well. 230 used creedmoors on GB compared to 39 in PRC...
Sounds like you have a plan. Hope my experience helped give you more perspective. The best thing I did was dryfire at home. I did it for a dedicated few months, and it was tremendous. If I haven't shot for a while, I will spend a few minutes every day dry firing, just to regain the skill. Shooting is a perishable skill. Dry fire safely, and live in paranoia treating it as if it is loaded.

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
Of the rifles you mentioned, I have a bergara hmr that my daughter uses. It's goofy heavy but recoil is a non issue. I have a christensen ridgeline that is awesome now but I had to drop some cash on a competent smith to make it awesome, for the price it should have come awesome from the factory. Tikka t3x compact, install the vertical grip and go nuts. All three shoot VERY well, I run all three suppressed 100% of the time, recoil is minimal. Tikka cost the least money and required the least amount of jacking around with before I could feel good about my investment. Tikka is the most fun. Everyone should have a tikka. I like tikkas.

mapticon

FNG
I shoot holes inside of holes with my Tikka in 6.5CM using Hornady factory ELD-X. All those options are shooters, but the Tikka gets it done the easiest and the cheapest I think.

Sled

WKR
i voted stainless tikka as well. plan ahead if you ever want to add threads or shorten the barrel.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Man, I should have kept the Tikka Stainless off there. Would have made for a better poll!

I know they're good guns but that one in particular is just so...uninspiring...

I'll admit it's probably not the best reason to not buy a quality gun for a good price but I'd hate to buy it and think "meh" every time it comes out the case. My current rifle is a Savage Axis so, also nothing special.

The Christensen has made some headway. Honestly thought it was going to receive more votes being the only Made in the USA firearm up there.

MHWASH

WKR
Man, I should have kept the Tikka Stainless off there. Would have made for a better poll!

I know they're good guns but that one in particular is just so...uninspiring...

I'll admit it's probably not the best reason to not buy a quality gun for a good price but I'd hate to buy it and think "meh" every time it comes out the case. My current rifle is a Savage Axis so, also nothing special.

The Christensen has made some headway. Honestly thought it was going to receive more votes being the only Made in the USA firearm up there.
You wont think "meh" once you shoot it.
There's a reason I only buy Tikkas, they flat out shoot with no tinkering. Best value for the money. Cost way less and probably shoot better than 90% of the Christensens or the others. Save the money for a suppressor and good optics and ammo.

woods89

WKR
My elk hunting buddy has a Christensen. It's been a bit of a mess, but after having a gunsmith fix a couple things it's performing satisfactorily. If you search they have had some quality control issues, not sure if that's been taken care of or not.
I'd buy a Tikka long before a CA.

MORE UNSOLICITED ADVICE WARNING

if you do get a rimfire to train with, i would strongly recommend a 17hmr vs 22lr.... they are very good confidence builders shooting ragged hole groups every time you get behind it, and you can get a cheap savage 93 with a bull barrel that shoots way better than it looks.... 22lr are great trainers of course, but it has seemed more difficult to find them that are super accurate, or at least not ammo picky and accurate. 17hmr seem to all be stupid accurate, and the ammo is all seemingly inherently accurate.... if you do any varmint hunting, the 17 is a lot more impressive, there is no question when you hit a squeak with a 17, there is often question with a 22lr whether you hit or missed.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Also some more unsolicited advice in this post.

When you revealed your lack of a rimfire long gun it makes it an easier choice to me. Now I know prices will be different south of the Medicine Line, in your favor, but the Tikka stainless makes a lot of sense. If only for the fact that for the price difference between it and either the Veil or Christensen Mesa up here I can get a T1 as well to check off your rimfire trainer while sharing stocks, trigger and safety location. This is a boon for someone trying to form foundational habits and overcome a recoil sensitivity.
If I had to replace all my current rifles tomorrow and be ready for spring bear season Monday I'd be grabbing a T3 and 6.5 creed would be a likely choice.

I have a high end Fierce and the Tikka. My Tikka shoots every bit as good as the Fierce. If you don't like the Tikka thought I would pick what feels good. As for the 6.5 PRC mentioned I like to shoot a lot. I bought a second CM for ammo availability and barrel life. Just fun to shoot.

Attachments

• 7AAAEFD2-6F03-4B98-825A-AE9CB345F4DF.jpeg
    7AAAEFD2-6F03-4B98-825A-AE9CB345F4DF.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 22

SouthPaw

WKR
I like the 6.5 creedmoor, and think it works for what you want. Just a couple of thoughts based on the purpose of getting the new caliber. Ignore the rest of this if you don't want unsolicited advice on the topic of recoil shyness.

I am very sensitive to the sound and concussive blast. When it comes to reps with a lighter rifle, I've done that. I did it with a .223 bolt action so I could really separate the act of shooting from the flinch inducing noise and recoil. I am not sure if the 6.5 has enough reduced recoil to get you the benefit that you want. I was shooting my 7 magnum, my 6 XC/Creedmoor, and my bolt action .223. It was reps with the .223 and probably the thousands of rounds of .22 LR and dry fire that trained my body to follow the process of shooting instinctually so that it was automatic and not influenced by the flinch. The 6 cm is obviously less, but it wasn't as helpful as the .223 and .22 for me. It was during that time that I got a suppressor, so I don't know how much I can separate out its profound effect, but I know lots of dry fire and reps with .223 and .22 LR was extremely helpful to habituate my body mechanics and mind.

Have you considered spending the money on a suppressor instead of a new rifle?

It is easier for me to shoot a suppressed magnum than it is for me to shoot a braked 6mm. A large part of recoil shyness is physiological, and it is what the brain is doing without you knowing it. When there is a loud sound, sonic concussion, coupled with the physical recoil, it seems the obvious thing is to reduce the physical recoil, because it is what we are most conscious of. People have told me that they can handle the recoil, and that it doesn't affect them, but range time betrays them. I video tape their trigger break, I slip in empty brass, and they either admit/realize they aren't as manly as they think or they deny it. If they deny it, I casually just let them shoot and give them some pointers, but I don't even try to help them. Its only the ones who realize the truth that you can't train out reflexes, you can only adapt and minimize them.

You are admitting to the recoil shyness, so you have a huge benefit. the reason I say what I do, is that the brain reacts to the sound and concussive blast far more than the physical recoil. It is instinct and reflex deep in our lizard brains over which we cannot exert conscious control and we can't train out. I've found that most of us just aren't aware of it until we shoot with a suppressor. When we shoot with a suppressor and separate out the physical recoil from the loud sound and sonic concussion, it is much easier to shoot magnums and deal with the physical recoil. Ultimately, that is why people who shoot with suppressors don't go back to suffer through the sound and concussive wave, because that is the worst part of recoil. I can easily deal with physical recoil shooting a magnum with a suppressor until my arm is bruised and sore, and there is no flinch until I feel the pain. Once it becomes painful, the flinch comes. Consequently, I think that the sound and concussive blast is painful to the brain, though we don't register it like we do a bruised arm.
Thank you for this post, I find it very relatable.

I recently got a .223 bolt gun. It weighs about 10 pounds and with handloads it is so much fun to shoot. It has helped me tremendously with my skills and recoil tolerance, and I can shoot it all day. I like it so much that I plan to hunt with it some. My bigger hunting rifles both have brakes and while I can shoot them well and the physical recoil is greatly reduced, the concussion absolutely sucks and I hate it. I'd run a suppressor but my state has upside-down thinking on them, so I can't. I've considered building a 6mm, maybe a 6XC or 6GT, in a similar 10lb configuration for hunting just to avoid needing a brake but still have tolerable enough recoil to spot impacts at distance and shoot all day long.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poodles