Chopping 308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Ok so I’ve got 2 Tikka T3/T3x Lites, 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor respectively, that I can get chopped back to make a more compact package with my Banish Backcountry. Some of y’all saw my earlier thread about not being crazy about the added length and weight of a can on a hunting rifle.

I reload and was wondering between the 2, which is a better caliber to chop barrel? I’ve seen where people do 16.5” for 308. How far do y’all cut back 6.5 Creedmoor?

308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor chopped barrel?

Thanks

mt100gr.

WKR
I have an 18" and a 20" creedmoor. With a can they're still longer than I'd like, but not terrible.

If I was cutting one down today, I'd go 16.5 inches.

Depending on the range I was anticipating, I'd probably look at the 130gr ELDM or TMK. Although my 18" creedmoor loves the 147gr ELDM and H4350....not a speed demon, but very accurate and packing plenty of velocity for the distances that rifle hunts.

OP
General RE LEE
I have an 18" and a 20" creedmoor. With a can they're still longer than I'd like, but not terrible.

Depending on the range I was anticipating, I'd probably look at the 130gr ELDM or TMK. Although my 18" creedmoor loves the 147gr ELDM and H4350....not a speed demon, but very accurate and packing plenty of velocity for the distances that rifle hunts.

I’ve got 400 Berger 130 grain OTM I can use. Superformance powder gets good velocity.

Lowedown

FNG
Which rifle do you intend to use more often in "i want the can on" scenarios?
from a barrel chop / velocity standpoint: I appreciate the creedmoor for it's use of high BC bullets to help buck the wind at medium ranges and therefore wouldn't want to give up any velocity in it. Whereas if I were to own a 308 it would more likely be used for shorter ranges where velocity loss wouldn't bug me as much. The shorter range rifle would also be a more likely choice for hunting in thicker country where a shorter barrel would be more important also.

I'm assuming you only want to chop the barrel on a rifle intended to pack in the field for hunting...so which one do you want to hunt with more? or which one would you use more when beating the brush?

Just put you numbers in to a ballistic calculator and subtract 25 fps/ inch you cut off. That should get you close to what you will get. See where you want your velocity to be and that will tell you how short to go.

I reload and was wondering between the 2, which is a better caliber to chop barrel?

Uhhh... both?

My 308 is 18", my 6.5C is 20". Both perform perfectly well for all of my hunting needs. If I want to poke out to 1000, well 1) I am not shooting at animals, and 2) I have other rifles for that.

OP
General RE LEE
I decided to chop my 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a lot of .264 bullets including 400 Berger 130 grain OTM, 6.5 CM brass and powder.

IMG_8883.jpeg

IMG_8884.jpeg

KenLee

WKR
I'd cut the 308 to 17 inches and send it. I had a 308 BAR MKII cut to 18 inches and the stock cut. Kids/newbie females shoot it and I shoot it w a slip on Limbsaver. Kill everything in SC with it. Just set up a 16.5 inch 6.5 Creedmoor but have no reports of performance. I don't run suppressors and damn sure don't use brakes. 308 short barrel is in my plans to try a suppressor.
Have one spot that I plan on newbies dropping 20 whitetail next season.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Uhhh... both?

My 308 is 18", my 6.5C is 20". Both perform perfectly well for all of my hunting needs. If I want to poke out to 1000, well 1) I am not shooting at animals, and 2) I have other rifles for that.
My 308 is 18”. I shot it out at 400yds a few days ago. No peoblem.

OP
General RE LEE
So been doing some digging and it seems many settle on 18” when they cut back a 6.5 CM. Something to do with complete powder burn. I think that’s a good length cause with my 6” suppressor, it will be length of standard barrel.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
The idea that there is an optimum barrel length based on cartridge, or certain cartridges need longer barrels to get complete powder burn is way overblown, and mostly not true within reason (meaning non-SBR’s). All the powder is burned way way before 16”.

The result is going to be the same with the 6.5cm or the 308. Loss of 20-30 fps/in, and more muzzle blast (obviously mitigated by the can).

OP
General RE LEE
Decided to do 16.5”. Also picked up a couple boxes of 123 grain SSTs and Stabal 6.5 powder. Should be a fun project. Scope will be lightweight 3.5-10x40 Leupold VX3 HD

OP
General RE LEE
Are there any barrel length restrictions on the banish backcountry?

16.5" creedmoors sound good for whitetail hunting.

Not that I’m aware of.

Yes should make a good tree stand, blind rifle with low recoil with the lighter bullets.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider

What are your velocities with the 18”

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
2560fps. I just stopped at a reasonable charge weight via the Hodgdon data that showed very consistent velocity and great accuracy.
Thank you!

Picked up a Roughtech lite and thinking about cutting it down since 24” is long with a can.