Which 10x42’s?

gpo1956

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at binoculars for general hunting (less than 1,000-1,200 yards) and for pleasure. I’ve looked at the following and can get them for within $100 of each other. Anyone have any standout opinions on any of these?
Kowa Genesis 10.5x44
Meopta Meopro Air 10x42
Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42
Leica Trinovid 10x42
GPO Passion 10x42
Maven B1.2 10x42

I just went through a very similar decision making process. The reviews below were what ultimately helped me decide. I went with a pair of used Zeiss Conquest HD's from the classifieds. Redhawk also has demo Zeiss Conquests for a good price.

JGTWI

WKR
If you’re okay with the bit of extra weight and size, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Kowas.

I’m also a big Meopta fan, but I tried the Meopro air’s and they didn’t work for me. Lots to like about them though.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I just went through a very similar decision making process. The reviews below were what ultimately helped me decide. I went with a pair of used Zeiss Conquest HD's from the classifieds. Redhawk also has demo Zeiss Conquests for a good price.

Every time I see that review, it reaffirms that you have to look for yourself. I wouldn't have the Vortex UHD in the top eight, and the Maven B1s would be much higher on my list.

Every time I see that review, it reaffirms that you have to look for yourself. I wouldn't have the Vortex UHD in the top eight, and the Maven B1s would be much higher on my list.
Yeah I take it with a grain of salt and just kinda referenced it after getting my hands on a few that were on the list. I like that they're categorized by price and have the weight listed too. It's hard to find a consolidated list of bino options in a certain price range since each vendor has different brands that they do or don't sell.

Beendare

WKR
I’m looking at binoculars for general hunting (less than 1,000-1,200 yards) and for pleasure. I’ve looked at the following and can get them for within $100 of each other. Anyone have any standout opinions on any of these?
Kowa Genesis 10.5x44
Meopta Meopro Air 10x42om
Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42
Leica Trinovid 10x42
GPO Passion 10x42
Maven B1.2 10x42

The only one I don’t know and would probably rule out is the GPO. I remember the issues Swaro had breaking into the US mkt….and Vortex as a new company had some issues…I would stay away from a new bino for the same reason I dont buy a brand new model car.

All of the others are good. Kowa and Meopta make glass that can hang with the best of the best. Leica and zeiss are awesome. The top Maven have good lenses though some models are a plastic frame. Leicas customer service has ticked off a couple buddies recently.

Of that bunch, if the weight of the kowa doesnt bug you, then those with the zeiss and meopta would be my top 3.

Matt G.

WKR
Tough decisions. My issue with the kowas was size and weight but the optics are great. I tried the mavens and they made colors pop. Size and weight were nice.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

The OP’s original list really has some fine candidates in the $1k-1200 range. There really isn’t a loser in the bunch and it will likely come down to personal preference. Like Ryan said - it is best to look for yourself. There is no substitute for handling and looking through optics before buying.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I think all of those binos are very good. It just comes down to what feels and looks best for you or what you catch on sale. I have the Conquests and they are great.

4th_point

WKR
I would also consider the Monarch HG. Only gripe for me is the diopter but other than that I found the image stunning for that price range. Matt Cashell has a review here.

I also had the Conquest HD and Tract. And have tried to like the Trinovid.

SwiftShot

WKR
One thing I have noticed on really good glass. The distance things will be in focus can be huge. Glassing at something 2000 yards, that in focus and behind it for another 500 to 800 is also in focus. Vs some glass the focused area is only 100 yards or less deep. Swaro.

I have the Maven 10x B1.2 and the 9x B2. Both awesome! Use them elk hunting in CO for the last 3 years! I like the B1.2 better for stacking as they are smaller and lighter.