Another Which Binocular Thread... Around 1k

I have the Maven 11x45s for hunting more open terrain in eastern washington and I love them. I carry a trekking pole with a 6oz ballhead on it and bino adaptor. Its amazing how quickly you can pick up animals at 1000 yards away.

I used to have a 8x42 pair of leupolds bx-5 that I loved. but got rid of them to buy the mavens... ended up buying another pair of the leupold 8x42 for the shorter distance thicker western Washington terrain I hunt.

All in all the mavens will be way heavier due to the type of prism they have. I think are better for the open terrain but i think the leupolds are hard to beat as a good all around hand holding bino (especially for the price listed below). Hope your still shopping heres a solid deal on the leupolds. $615 for 10x42s

skeen

FNG
Unless you’re a complete fool there’s no way you couldn’t see the quality difference between UHD’s and EL’s.
You sure 'bout that? Guess you'd have to define "quality difference" and even then not sure I'm in agreement.

I have the UHD, SLC, and EL and have been looking back and forth between them, and am very impressed with the UHD.

That said, looking out my backyard isn't a real world test and I'll see how they compare between the 3 after a season with 'em looking for deer.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I'm amazed, but not persuaded, by the passion of the Vortex haters on this forum. As an optics dealer and enthusiast, I routinely compare optics and remain impressed by the UHD's, and I am not a Vortex dealer.

Honyock

WKR
I'm amazed, but not persuaded, by the passion of the Vortex haters on this forum. As an optics dealer and enthusiast, I routinely compare optics and remain impressed by the UHD's, and I am not a Vortex dealer.
I think it has something to do with the reliability of Vortex. Buddy had me mount a brand new Vortex scope on his 25-06 last week. We took it to the gun range and after 10 rounds the inside of the scope crapped out. When you tilted the gun you could hear what sounded like a screw rattling back and forth in the scope. I told him that at least it has a good warranty.

Realizing that UHD's aren't tier 1 optics is hardly hate. The UHD's are not bad binoculars, but they're not comparable to Swaros. Comparing my new Ultravid HD+ to my EL's and NL's the Swaros are just noticeably nicer from how smooth the hinge, focus and eyecups function to a better image and a difference looking back into dark pockets in the woods 500+ yards away and this is with another alpha level binocular that costs just as much.

All of this is moot though because it's unreasonable to expect binos that you can get for less than $1500 to be on the same lever as ones that cost $2500+. The UHD's are nice, they just aren't on par with the top tier euro stuff yet. I'd rather buy lightly used or like new top tier stuff for the same money though.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I recently went down the alpha optics rabbit hole attempting to upgrade my 10x42 Meopros. Bought and sold 2 sets of used SLCs and Ultravid HDs. Guess I was expecting more. I couldn't justify the cost and ended up with a set of Razor HDs (Japan made) for about half the price of the others. I'm happy with them. Lightweight, clear and great field of view. Keep in mind I don't have the greatest eyes and wear contacts most of the time.... better eyes appreciate better glass, but the Razors fit my needs. I used the extra 600 to purchase other gear.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
Realizing that UHD's aren't tier 1 optics is hardly hate. The UHD's are not bad binoculars, but they're not comparable to Swaros. Comparing my new Ultravid HD+ to my EL's and NL's the Swaros are just noticeably nicer from how smooth the hinge, focus and eyecups function to a better image and a difference looking back into dark pockets in the woods 500+ yards away and this is with another alpha level binocular that costs just as much.

All of this is moot though because it's unreasonable to expect binos that you can get for less than $1500 to be on the same lever as ones that cost $2500+. The UHD's are nice, they just aren't on par with the top tier euro stuff yet. I'd rather buy lightly used or like new top tier stuff for the same money though.

Another perspective might suggest you will come close to counting on one hand the number of binoculars optically superior to the UHD's. Several of those are nearly double the cost. This makes them a serious contender IMHO.

I owned the UHD 10x42 just long enough to be able to return them after a couple hunts. The sharpness is alpha, CA control is fantastic, but the colors were too neutral/flat for me and the weight is too much for 10x chest binos. Some people prefer a neutral image so that could even be a plus for them, I hunt in the light brown southwest so more contrast helps liven the image a bit.

Another perspective might suggest you will come close to counting on one hand the number of binoculars optically superior to the UHD's. Several of those are nearly double the cost. This makes them a serious contender IMHO.

There are a lot more than 5 binoculars that are optically superior to UHD's.

I really don't understand peoples need for whatever they like to be as good as the best or comparable to the best.

nphunter

WKR
You can pick up a set of Razor 10x42s for around $600 and they are going to be very hard to beat for that price.

Optically I think the only bino that you could find to surpass them for that price is a set of Cabelas Euro's/Meopta Meostars but they come with a pretty big size and weight penalty for a 10x42.