When to stop supporting a hunting brand

Traveler

WKR
I don't support hunting brands, I support my activities. I will buy a pair of Salomon’s at rei because they are the best price. I will buy a Mathew’s from local archery shop because they have best service.

I think it depends on the circumstances.

NF’s latest faux pas was due to pure ignorance rather than bad intent IMO. I doubt they were aware of MF’s past, though they very much should’ve been. We’ll see how they handle it from here.

SO’s blunder was due to some deep seated beliefs amongst the ownership. Beliefs that have and will cause hardship for hunters. Then they handled it incredibly poorly when confronted with it.

In SO’s case I’ve moved to the used market, aside from the occasional replacement parts. I was pretty well set on tipi tents and stoves prior to their kerfuffle.

As for NF, I love my NX8, but $1500 scopes aren’t something I buy a lot of either.

ETA I just saw NF’s replies on the gram… Ooof. Talk about doubling down on stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: WCS
Like a lot of things it is a case by case thing. Nightforces thing is more along the lines your buddy having a coyote ugly situation. Like come on bro you know better. More of a disappointment I would say. SO was worse in many’s eyes because politics got involved. And that brings out rage. I don’t think either have really handled their situation well.

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I think it depends on the circumstances.

NF’s latest faux pas was due to pure ignorance rather than bad intent IMO. I doubt they were aware of MF’s past, though they very much should’ve been. We’ll see how they handle it from here.

SO’s blunder was due to some deep seated beliefs amongst the ownership. Beliefs that have and will cause hardship for hunters. Then they handled it incredibly poorly when confronted with it.

In SO’s case I’ve moved to the used market, aside from the occasional replacement parts. I was pretty well set on tipi tents and stoves prior to their kerfuffle.

As for NF, I love my NX8, but $1500 scopes aren’t something I buy a lot of either.

ETA I just saw NF’s replies on the gram… Ooof. Talk about doubling down on stupid.
Have you personally had a convo with SO. I consider them friends in the industry and will be running their twilight shelter this season. SO brings so much innovation to the shelter industry and it all comes from a hunting focus.

SO loves hunting and the 2nd amendment. Give them a call sometime. Great dudes.

Have you personally had a convo with SO. I consider them friends in the industry and will be running their twilight shelter this season. SO brings so much innovation to the shelter industry and it all comes from a hunting focus.

SO loves hunting and the 2nd amendment. Give them a call sometime. Great dudes.
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...cate-ryan-busse-air-time.299955/#post-2965896

Peruse that thread at your leisure. I’ve come to my own conclusion, you are welcome to come to your own.

That’s the extent I will comment on it. That thread is locked for a reason and I am not trying to rehash it in this one. I only brought it up here because the OP mentioned it.

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...cate-ryan-busse-air-time.299955/#post-2965896

Peruse that thread at your leisure. I’ve come to my own conclusion, you are welcome to come to your own.

That’s the extent I will comment on it. That thread is locked for a reason and I am not trying to rehash it in this one. I only brought it up here because the OP mentioned it.
Fully aware of the thread and the situation. Does not change the fact that those guys love hunting and guns. This whole eating our own thing is ridiculous.

Again they are innovators in the hunting space pushing backcountry shelters/gear forward. I love what those guy are doing and support them.

I had them on the podcast last month it should come out sometime in June. wonder if I will get canceled lol.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Fully aware of the thread and the situation. Does not change the fact that those guys love hunting and guns. This whole eating our own thing is ridiculous.

Again they are innovators in the hunting space pushing backcountry shelters/gear forward. I love what those guy are doing and support them.

I had them on the podcast last month it should come out sometime in June. wonder if I will get canceled lol.
Hi, I'm willing to not cancel you if I can become a influencer for your business and I get sent free stuff. Thanks, sincerely some dude who has no social media following.

They should’ve stuck to innovating and building cool shelters, just like Nightforce should’ve stuck to building really good scopes. I don’t feel bad for either company. It was 100% their own doing.

I realize that a social media presence is somewhat required in modern business, but lots of these companies seem to forget they aren’t in the media business. It really wouldn’t have been hard to avoid either blunder mentioned in the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

*zap*

WKR
pretty simple-woke is everywhere. I see people who consider themselves staunch conservatives and they work/live in the midst of wokeness and they have become woke. Sad thing is they are not even aware of what has happened to them.
Walk with a cripple for enough miles and you will start to limp.

as far as shopping goes, well that is the least of my worries.

BBob

WKR
SO loves hunting and the 2nd amendment
Sort of, at least the owner. He's a "guns are for hunting, not defending yourself" anti AR "assault weapons" half assed 2A guy. He posted it and there are receipts. I'm sure some or many or mby most of his employees don't share his sentiment but that's his stance. Doesn't matter if he's an innovator, his stuff isn't so great that you can't get something else that's just as good or will work just as well.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
For me it's about whether there are real alternatives for when I'm buying new stuff. Realistically I'm not going to sell my current stuff because of a controversy. I really dislike Swarovski for their FOV patent abuse but until someone else makes some alpha 10x50 binoculars on par or better than my ELs, I'm stuck with them (as a glasses wearer the 10x50 is better than 10x42 for me). Luckily Swarovski scopes are pieces of junk so I can at least avoid those easily.

For Nightforce it's similarly tough because no one has their reputation for durability above the $1,800 pricepoint. And they know it, hence why they haven't felt the need to update any of their scope lines in 10 years.

Companies like Leofoto with shady/parasitic/illegal business practices are easy to avoid because they're doing that stuff as a way to cut costs to compete with some better brand (RRS in this example). So I just ponied up the money and bought the RRS. It all depends on the existence of real competition unfortunately.
Swarovski is junk?

Deadfall

WKR
Almost the whole thing if FUBAR if you want it to be. Don;t feel the need to say anyhting to them, they as free to do what they want as I am. I am also free to burn and pitch off mountians anything I want. All my walmart/firstlite type junk has long been replaced. My current junk is pretty dialed. Never know might decide to waste some money somewhere buying new and improved junk.

It's all junk.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
Please send me your NF scopes if you’re outraged. Also, if you’re still hung up on Yeti coolers and their disagreement with the NRA, I’ll take your Yeti coolers as well.

When a company stops making a product that meets my needs, or another company makes a better product. Once product's are about equal and I have trouble choosing, then emotional stuff comes into play. Or, if I feel the company is borderline criminal.

If I stopped buying products because of ideological disagreement, I would not be able to buy anything. If I stopped talking to people because of such disagreements, I would never talk to anyone other than my wife.

I'll put this differently, how would you feel if I started refusing to treat patients (do business with them) if I disagreed with their ideology? "Sorry, you have a ______ hat on, you now have to drive 3 hours to treat your life threatening chronic heart condition because I'm the only person in the area that treats it." Sounds like a miserable world I want no part of. Plenty of individuals are eager to build that world though, which is unfortunate. There was a time when I was one of them. Fear creates monsters.
This basically my personal thoughts on it.

I will say that I will generally not purchase products with Bible verses on them, or companies that advertise that they're Christian.

I'm Christian, and I find that irrelevant and pandering. Tell me about your products, not your beliefs.

My next trigger will be Triggertech.