When southerners decide to head to Idaho for a spring bear hunt....

Hnthrdr

WKR
For spring bears I would go MT over Idaho, there are units in MT that have much gentler mountains. Find old logging roads on south facing slopes, south slope burns or anywhere the new shoots/ flowers will pop up and get to glassing. Many internet sources will tell you all you need to know about harvest rates, population in certain units. Call a warden or a biologist and chat for a bit.

A couple of us whitetail public land hunters from Louisiana have decided to look into a spring bear hunt in Idaho. I have read the 28 page thread on spring bear hunting, which has provided me with a good bit of solid information. Thanks to all yall for that!

PLEASE do not drag this Louisiana girl for this first question......:oops:......here goes nothing....

What is the "easiest" area as far as terrain/mountain climb to visit for a spring bear hunt?

Coming from Louisiana to take on the mountains of Idaho is a little intimidating. We hunt and hike a good bit on a piece of public land in Louisiana called Tunia Hills but it is NOTHING compared to any mountain.
My best recommendation come a little earlier, hunt the panhandle region, walk the closed logging roads along riparian areas with the most green grass. Otherwise follow the snowline up and hunt the most rugged areas several miles fo a drivable road hunt all day with the most focus on the hours from 2pm til dark thirty don't hike out of a good spot to early you'll miss the bears.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I guess another piece of advice is learn how to actually glass. There are some good YouTube videos about it out there, but if you have never hunted out west I think a lot of people don’t truly understand glassing, I might spend 2-3 hours or heck most of a day on a good vantage point before moving on to another

JD Jones

WKR
I just want to clarify that I truly was not looking to get anyone’s spot. I genuinely was simply asking for a little “guidance” mainly because, honestly. closer it gets, I get a little more intimidated at tackling mountains. Not from being out of shape, but maybe because i have never hiked in that terrain. I also should have pointed out that we do have a GOHUNT subscription and do utilize that constantly. Apologies to anyone who I triggered or offended. I honestly was only looking to see if I could get some words of advice from people who may live in that environment. I guess I could have worded my initial post differently.
I don’t live in Idaho but I am your neighbor in Texas. I hunt Idaho. I love it there. The mountains in Idaho are unforgiving but they also aren’t worry some enough to keep me away. Don’t be intimidated. The hikes will suck but if you’re in shape like you say, by day 2 you’ll be fine. My advice is go and commit to learning. You may get lucky but you certainly will learn things. If you go with that in mind it’ll be a fun trip. Bears are out there… strap on your pack and go explore

16Racing

FNG
Biggest thing I think is getting used to side hill walking puts pressure on your feet ways you aren't used to. Also don't over do it the first day or two because it will hinder the rest of your hunt made that mistake. Bears love the steep rugged terrain so you're gonna wanna be there if possible. I live in Pennsylvania and the Bears here live in the same type areas thick nasty steep terrain.