What's your stalking strategy?

rhendrix

WKR
Lets just say for a moment that you have a high country archery mule deer tag. You've hiked in and spotted a nice buck in a spot where you can stalk him. You've closed the distance to him within several hundred yards, and now it's time to get stealthy. Obviously you drop your pack...but what about your shoes? Leave em on or take them off? Knee and elbow pads? Do you bring a single arrow and drop your quiver? Do you bring any water in case you have to wait for him to stand or move? Any other considerations? Thought I'd ask since I keep day dreaming about running an arrow through a nice buck in September and like to mentally rehearse. Plus it just helps to hear what everyone else has done and had success with.

Ron

Bar

Banned
I don't stalk, but only still hunt for deer and elk. I scout all year so I have a good idea what areas they're in, but as you know in still hunting I don't they're there for sure. I've hunted this way for 60 years. You asked about footwear, so i'll tell you what I use. I made some slippers that slip over my boots. I used buffalo (bison) hide with hair attached. The hair side goes out. Very quiet over all types of surfaces. I also have knees pads with the same hide on them.

I'm basically hunting the deer and elk in their bedding areas, or coming to and from them. They also move around during the day. Personally, I won't shoot one laying down. Although some guys do. I'm not a bow hunter, but use a traditional muzzleloader. My eyesight is poor, so I need to get in bow range with the primitive open sights I use. Of course you need to constantly monitor the wind. If it changes back out, and come in from a better angle. Move slow. Painfully slow. 30 min for 50-75 yds is good. Look everywhere for just pieces of an animal. Take a step, and now you have a new angle. Look at everything again. Mule deer bucks will stay frozen, and let you pass right by them. I can't say it enough. Stop, and look everywhere.

My dad taught me to still hunt, and one of the things we practiced a lot is running shots. It's not often you get a broadside shot of an elk/deer just standing there.

I'm writing a book on still hunting, so it's too much to just put in a post. It's an exciting way to hunt. Good luck.

bowuntr

WKR
I drop my boots and do the final stalk in two pairs of socks. I am able to move much quieter and slower in my socks. I hydrate before I start the stalk and sometimes when I drop my pack. There's been more than one time that I wished I had water for my dry mouth while waiting for a buck to stand, but I'd rather not take that risk in close. Chewing gum can solve the dry mouth issue. More importantly to me is to bring enough clothes to stay warm. You'll heat up during the stalk and really cool down while waiting. Bring a layer to prevent shivering. One last item... bring lots of confidence... if you know in your mind the stalk will end in success, there's a good chance that it will. Good luck... Ed F

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
rhendrix,
you just got about 100 years combined advice from Bar & bowuntr. Everything you need to know right there.
Thanks guys, really enjoyed reading your advice

I have not had that many stalking opportunities but I have only blown a couple and that was by shifting winds. I have yet to take my boots off or spook a deer due to noise. I try to move at an uncomfortably slow pace and be patient. I did find some large thick wool socks and cut them off so I can slip them over my boots. It helps but then again I only tried it once. My stalking has all been in more desert areas and the rocks can help you stay quiet if you watch where you step.

I drink a bunch when I drop my pack. I keep telling myself to take water but I have only remembered once. I get excited and forget. I have a detachable quiver that is quiet to remove and I take it off once I get into position. I also tried the knee pads but found them a pain to keep on my knees. They always slide up or down, maybe I need better ones. They do make things more comfortable. Kneeing in the rocks for hours is no fun.

So my strategy? I am no expert but my simple strategy is to go slow and be patient, you have all day. However, sometimes plan B is needed and you need to hurry your but up and get there. Only experience can help you on knowing when to use plan B. I am still learning and have missed out because I was scared to go to plan B.

Bar

Banned
Yes, being able to walk on rocks helps a lot. My buffalo slippers are needed on crunchy leaves and crunchy snow. I hate that stuff. Sometimes it takes me a couple of minutes to complete one step. Meanwhile i'm balancing on one foot.

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
I don't stalk, but only still hunt for deer and elk. I scout all year so I have a good idea what areas they're in, but as you know in still hunting I don't they're there for sure. I've hunted this way for 60 years. You asked about footwear, so i'll tell you what I use. I made some slippers that slip over my boots. I used buffalo (bison) hide with hair attached. The hair side goes out. Very quiet over all types of surfaces. I also have knees pads with the same hide on them.

I'm basically hunting the deer and elk in their bedding areas, or coming to and from them. They also move around during the day. Personally, I won't shoot one laying down. Although some guys do. I'm not a bow hunter, but use a traditional muzzleloader. My eyesight is poor, so I need to get in bow range with the primitive open sights I use. Of course you need to constantly monitor the wind. If it changes back out, and come in from a better angle. Move slow. Painfully slow. 30 min for 50-75 yds is good. Look everywhere for just pieces of an animal. Take a step, and now you have a new angle. Look at everything again. Mule deer bucks will stay frozen, and let you pass right by them. I can't say it enough. Stop, and look everywhere.

My dad taught me to still hunt, and one of the things we practiced a lot is running shots. It's not often you get a broadside shot of an elk/deer just standing there.

I'm writing a book on still hunting, so it's too much to just put in a post. It's an exciting way to hunt. Good luck.

I'd be interested in reading your book on still hunting. I hope you get it published. Seems like there are a ton of books about spot and stalk hunting from the trophy hunting guys. I don't know of any in the last 100 years specific to still hunting.

On another forum you recommended "The Still Hunter" by Theodore Van Dyke. I read it and got a lot out of that book. Nothing has changed about still hunting since 1904. However, the difference in language from 110 years ago to now makes it tough to read and the illustrations in the kindle version were not visible. Good luck finding an in-print copy of a 110 year old book though... :)

I'll first mention I've been archery hunting only a few years now, and have had decent success but others here are FAR more knowledgeable than myself. Listen to them.

I read a book bout 10 years ago about hunting mule deer and it had a strategy of check points for your final stalk that I've incorporated. Pick points A, B, and C. C being your shooting position, B somewhere under 80-120 yards, and point A to get oriented and prepared to get sneaky. Key here is to NOT PEEK after you get to B. Not only does it make you formulate a progressive plan but the landmarks keep you oriented as we all know how terrain changes when you get to where you want to be. I haven't kicked off my shoes yet and I've come to full draw more times than not. I bring a face mask and wear it from point B on. I also keep my pack on until then and I put a piece of chewing gum in to keep me from getting cotton mouth. Quiver stays on the bow as I've noticed a difference in point of impact with it on vs off.

Something that I find ironic is I've gotten within bow range of animals on stalks multiple times with a bow in hand, but have blown more stalks with a rifle/muzzie or even a camera. Something about knowing you HAVE to be perfect with that bow in hand makes every step that much more cautious.

Another thing while talking about mule deer. I noticed it a lot last year scouting is they often times bed shortly after first light. Then will get up and move to a more secure/shaded bed for the day. I almost lost a bachelor group of bucks Sept 1 last year because they bedded around 7 AM, then were up again at 8:30 and fed their way up the mountain to the second beds around 10:30 Where they stayed till I missed a shot at 4 PM that afternoon.

Mike

Last edited:

MakitaBoy

FNG
Just like Bar said for footwear I use slippers over my boots you can buy a pair online for aroun 40$ I've had good luck w them as for me I keep my quiver on due to what HC said it changes point of impact and I drop my pack water everything but me and my bow @ 100-150yds out and pull up my face mask/ neck gaiter

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
awesome post with awesome feedback...planning my first (archery) 5 day bivy hunt this year...continuously mentally walking myself through a stalk. Definatley Subscribed!

South Cox

FNG
I generally go into stealth mode from about 150 yards out, dropping my pack, donning 2 pairs of socks and face painted up. I would strongly recommend leaving your quiver on your bow. I've gotten follow up shots on hits or misses on multiple occasions. Only having 1 arrow could mean the difference between packing out your tag or packing out a buck. For me, topography (next to wind direction) is the biggest factor I take into account when I'm choosing my stalking route. I look for any natural feature or tree or rocks to use to hide my approach.

bohntr

WKR
Some good advice already given.......but I'll add one more piece of advice that is often overlooked. When planning your stalk, make sure you locate any potential "spoiler" deer and try to avoid them on your route. Nothing can end a perfect stalk (good wind, quiet, and patience) quicker than an unforeseen deer that jumps up and blows out the basin. :)

Some good advice already given.......but I'll add one more piece of advice that is often overlooked. When planning your stalk, make sure you locate any potential "spoiler" deer and try to avoid them on your route. Nothing can end a perfect stalk (good wind, quiet, and patience) quicker than an unforeseen deer that jumps up and blows out the basin. :)

Been there done that Roy! I remember my first late Nov bow hunt bout 7 yrs ago (diff scenario altogether) we had over 25 bucks with groups of does in a single canyon and kept bumping deer we never saw screwing up the stalk. That's a pretty obvious case but still applicable.

Mike

Camo_Man

FNG
Late to this post but invaluable information! I'm new to this forum and my hunting has been limited to riffle / blind hunting white tails. This year I am bow hunting and going for Mule in California. My quest is in regard to quiver size. I have a three arrow quiver expandable to five. What are your recommendations whether to carry the extra arrows or not?

Thanks again for all of your advise! First time back pack hunter.

I carry 3 arrows when on my normal 1 or 2 night trips. If I use them all I need to go home. If I was going in for a week I would take 5.