Best to shoot different bows before buying, but what to do when looking at used previous gen models?

Haven't looked at a new bow in a store or touched one in 10 years or so. Recently converting my shooting, both guns and archery, from right to left. Looking at getting a Mathews (only because it's one of the few lefties I've shot and prefer the shorter ATA), but having a hard time deciding due to lack of being able to handle different ones. I recently shot a VXR 28 and loved it for the few shots I did take. But I'm torn on if the 31.5 would be the same to me or not, or even something like a V3 31. What is the best recommendation on looking at used previous flagship style bows that aren't in shops today to handle? I posted this over on AT as well, just haven't gotten any responses. There are 3 on there classifieds that I like, a V3 31 for 900 loaded, VXR 28 with no sight or stabilizer for 600 and a loaded VXR 31.5 for 850. Also going to local shop and want to offer 950 for ready to hunt VXR 28 w/skb case.

Paralysis by analysis, this is my life lol.

For the record, I'm coming from a RH Elite Energy 35 70lb 28.5 draw.

\

If those are the bow models you’re interested in, I would see if any shops have any Phase 4’s still in stock. The phase 4 is the same riser, cam, draw cycle, and nearly same specs as the V3 and VXR. The phase 4 comes in 29 and 33 ATA, so hopefully you could try both and that would for sure tell you if you like a 28 ATA bow, or if there’s something more to be desired.

You might hate life going from a 35" to a 28" bow. I know it seemed OK for a couple of shots but you're pushing it in my book.

If buying based on specs I would error on the side of forgiveness. Like a v3 33 or similar.

You might hate life going from a 35" to a 28" bow. I know it seemed OK for a couple of shots but you're pushing it in my book.

If buying based on specs I would error on the side of forgiveness. Like a v3 33 or similar.
I’ve wondered that a few times in this process. But then there was a part of me that told myself this is like starting from scratch being in switching to lefty.

I would look at a Bowtech revolt or solution. Can find for $500-600. Great now, easy to tune yourself. I personally watch the archery talk long term reviews on YouTube for some good info on past years bows.

My 2 cents.....
Being an avid shooter/bowhunter and also working part time in an archery pro shop the opportunity to interface with a lot of shooters and scenarios and get their feedback presents itself often, so I may offer a little different perspective.
1) Switching dominant hands will be a much bigger change than the overall ATA of the bow at least initially. If you are looking to shorten the ATA to be more hunting friendly than now is probably the time to make the change since it will all be foreign anyhow. If down the road you really feel that the longer ATA is what you need, than you wont also be fighting assessing your form from a handicap of it being unfamiliar to you.
2) I haven't measured that model elite string angle. However, I would not be surprised to see the VXR 31.5 and that bow come in very close. The big cams and not having the heavily reflexed limbs make the string angles on that bow very pleasant at that draw length. The 28 will have more angle of course, but should still be very comfortable. Personally, my least favorite of the V series is the V3, the heavy pre flex on made the bow less comfortable IMO, hence the longer ATA in the following models.
3) Test driving is way more a feel good than an actual need. Of course everyone has preferences, and shooting all the bows is great to compare and is fun. But if buying a quality bow used I would pay attention to bow condition and setup, and get what you feel confident taking to the field. Beyond that I wouldn't be overly concerned about comparisons between models or brands.

Back