What's your stalking strategy?

Beastmode

WKR
I always have 5 arrows with me. I practice all year with a loaded quiver.

Another thing that is a huge thing for stalks that has gotten me before is getting a really good layout of what is above the animal. Looking over a ridge to only find out you are 60 yards on one side of the buck or the other can be pretty frustrating. Especially when you think you are in the right spot and think the deer is gone. Be patient and be thorough. It's much better to have an animal get out of its bed on its own to start feeding than get out of its bed because of you.

I like to cut the distance to about 200 yards as fast and quiet as possible with a good wind. I drop my pack and slip on the wool socks. Then I try to close the next 100 yards at a medium pace as long as I am not within line of sight and can do so quietly. The last leg of my stalk... I tell myself if you can hear yourself, your going too fast! I just creep slow and quiet with no quick movements until its go time!

Bar

Banned
I like to cut the distance to about 200 yards as fast and quiet as possible with a good wind. I drop my pack and slip on the wool socks. Then I try to close the next 100 yards at a medium pace as long as I am not within line of sight and can do so quietly. The last leg of my stalk... I tell myself if you can hear yourself, your going too fast! I just creep slow and quiet with no quick movements until its go time!

Not sure how you can be quiet walking at a med pace? A mule deer has exceptional hearing with those big ears. I'd be moving at a much slower pace at 200-100yds out. What you don't hear the deer will hear. Is your method 100% successful?

Lots of good advice. One thing I would add is to always look out for the other deer and don't get too focused on the target buck. I've been busted a few times by bumping other deer and then the buck you are targeting gets all ancy and goes with them.

Not sure how you can be quiet walking at a med pace? A mule deer has exceptional hearing with those big ears. I'd be moving at a much slower pace at 200-100yds out. What you don't hear the deer will hear. Is your method 100% successful?

Completely depends on terrain, cover, and wind. Looks like he qualified this with 1) line of sight and 2) can do so quietly.

I believe in going as fast you can but as slow as you need to. Last year in Nevada I watched bucks get up and move every afternoon for no reason at all. I'm not talking a simple re-position, but moving 1/4 to 1/2 a mile.

Bar

Banned
Completely depends on terrain, cover, and wind. Looks like he qualified this with 1) line of sight and 2) can do so quietly.

I believe in going as fast you can but as slow as you need to. Last year in Nevada I watched bucks get up and move every afternoon for no reason at all. I'm not talking a simple re-position, but moving 1/4 to 1/2 a mile.

He had line of sight from 100yds in. I'm referring from 200yds to 100yds. My point being as quietly as possible might not be quiet enough if he's moving too fast.

I see no reason to move fast in a stalk if the deer is bedding down. The only reason he'll get up is if he hears you. Be patient, and you have a better chance of being quiet. Once he hears you he's looking in your direction, and your odds of getting closer go way down.

Bar, every stalk and situation is different and needs to be approached differently. This is just my basic stalking strategy in short. I killed 3 good mule deer bucks, a big bull a whitetail doe and a coues deer buck just last fall using this strategy with only a few failed attempts. my failed stalks were due to a shifty wind not noise or being picked off because I was moving to quick. my strategy worked well for me!

Bar

Banned
Just trying to get across to the new hunter that moving slow is usually the best strategy, and not be in a big rush to get there..

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
I bow hunt in the desert which can be a noisy proposition. To help deal with this I usually sneak in 200-300 yards from the deer and tie old pieces of carpet to my shoes which is dead silent. It looks goofy but works!

Bar

Banned
I made some slippers to put over my boots. I used buffalo skin with the hair on the outside. Works pretty good.

Camo_Man

FNG
In regard to a buck bedded down and surrounded by other deer that would bust you and you can't find a route to work into the targeted buck's location. How has anyone handled that scenario in the past? Newbie

Rangefinders are great for picking you way in and knowing how far that rock or tree is from the deer, and point a-b, b-c and c-shot.
Also most of the better ones have enough magnification to let you kept tabs on things as you progress in the stalk. Saves from having to go from binos, to rangefinder and back. Pick one and keep with it till shot time.

I hunt mostly sage and bitter brush and in the pines for mulies and find that I do more crawling than anything. I learned that having a foldable release, a leather glove on your release hand, and contractor type knee pads is a great way to stay comfortable, avoid stickies, pokies and thorns. I also use the dish on the end of my stabilizer for the 4th leg when crawling that last 50-75 yards till shot time. I only nock up when getting ready to shoot, I dont want the arrow catching on anything that will make noise during the last bit of sneakage.

I also have a windicator bottle or use a bit of silt or dust to see the wind status. Wind will bust you more often than noise in many cases. Unless in the classic sneak in from above on an uphill thermal, gig. Using dirt is easy if its dry, just take a pinch and dribble it out of the fingers, you'll see the wind. If its cold enough you can also use your breath,,,as long as its not like "zombie butt stench" after 5 days of hunting. If it is keep your trap shut! LOL

In regard to a buck bedded down and surrounded by other deer that would bust you and you can't find a route to work into the targeted buck's location. How has anyone handled that scenario in the past? Newbie

Wait until they move.

tttoadman

WKR
I only rifle hunt now, but I will throw in my .02.

Rangefinder? yes. The key is to always range the far side of a draw in a few places because if he gets up he will magically go up and stand level with you and look at you. This can happen even if you shoot and miss.

I will agree with the plan B above. Sometimes it is time to haul ass. My brother has a keen sense of when to do this vs super stealth mode. I will let them walk over the top of a ridge, and then rapid move to the other side. It may be the only way to close the distance on moving deer. I have been successful after following deer for 2 miles. A very exciting 2 miles.

I think the good bucks will always be on the high ground. I will go clear around to come over the top to avoid having the dinkers and does between us.

I love the 1:00 stretch. This is not a big deal in timber country, but it is a real thing in the open country. If you learn an area good enough, you will find those little sharp tops that provide shade in morning and afternoon with little movement on their part. I am not a very stealthy person. I need to find little tricks like this to set up ambush areas in little chutes etc...

Watch the eyes of the older does. It seems strange, but I think the old does and old bucks have a system about them. If the does are up and looking somewhere where you cant see, a good buck may be down there. He won't leave without them, and they won't leave without him. It is sometimes the minute you need to make a quick move and make something happen. I think this behavior resembles when the cows in the elk herd start stirring around with their nose up(30 seconds and counting to make a move).

This is sort of rambling, but I like threads like this where there are little differences in peoples approach. The rifle hunter can enjoy a much more challenging hunt when hunting like a bow hunter. Why shoot across the canyon when you can employ some good reliable tactics that will improve your shot, and make it a more rewarding and exciting hunt. Keep in mind I have blown out more deer than I have gotten, so take it for what it's worth.