What's your stalking strategy?

Bar

Banned
Wind is a huge deal for getting close. besides all the devices to check the wind. I also have a long piece of thread tied to the end of the barrel. Since I carry the gun in both hands with the gun ready for a fast shot. The thread is always in my vision. I can see the slighted change in wind direction.

As for binos and range finders. i never needed a range finder. that's for rifle hunters who take long shots, and of course bow hunters who need to know exact ranges. I'm in the middle with a muzzleloader who never takes a long shot. I can hold dead on out to 150yds which is farther than i'd ever take in the timber.

Binos are different. I have mixed feelings about them. Keep in mind I just hunt the timber. They can help spot small parts of the deer/elk. However, they take too much movement to use. One of the secrets to still hunting is being still. The animals will easily pick up the motion of using binos, so I just use my own vision now. You can train your eyes to pick up small parts of an animal if you look hard enough. Most guys just scan the area. That's won't work. You have to look at everything for the smallest detail. Then take one small step, and do it all over again, because with every step you have a new angle on the terrain. Still hunting means standing still much longer than you're moving. It takes infinite patience.

Of course stalking is completely different. In stalking you know where the animal is. In still hunting you don't know there's an animal there at all, but are hoping to spot it before it spots you first.

In either method moving too slow is not possible. Moving too fast is easy.

In either method moving too slow is not possible. Moving too fast is easy.

I used to believe this was true, however I have seen a number of occasions where deer would move a considerable distance, for no reason at all in the middle of the afternoon. I missed out on an opportunity at a good buck because I was taking my time, thinking I had all afternoon.

Certainly not saying your method is wrong, just pointing out that you don't always have all day to make your move. Hence the reason I have changed my line of thinking to moving faster when you have the ability to do so.

Bar

Banned
Yes, but how many have you missed, because you scared them off before ever seeing them? It works both ways.

Lets put it another way. Moving too slow will seldom get you busted. Moving too fast will more than not get you busted.

With that said. Stalking is completely different than still hunting. Very few still hunt now. Stalking is much more popular.

Bar

Banned
Sorry if I came across too strong. My passion for still hunting gets me in trouble sometimes.

HOPTOAD

FNG
Bar,

I am a new hunter that is interested in learning. I have a question about still hunting if you wouldnt mind. When do you begin to still hunt? Right when you leave the parking lot/ trail head? Do you walk in a mile or so from the road then begin to still hunt? Wait until you see sign? Thank You for any assistance you are willing to provide.

Bar

Banned
Bar,

I am a new hunter that is interested in learning. I have a question about still hunting if you wouldnt mind. When do you begin to still hunt? Right when you leave the parking lot/ trail head? Do you walk in a mile or so from the road then begin to still hunt? Wait until you see sign? Thank You for any assistance you are willing to provide.

It's different in all areas. I don't just randomly still hunt. I do it where I believe elk are bedded down. I determine this by lots and lots of scouting.

Sometimes i'm hunting within 5-10 min from where I park my Jeep. Other times I might have to hike in for 2-3 hours to get to my spot. I've hunted the same area for decades, so I have a good idea where the elk are in different conditions. Which means are they relaxed, or pressured. What about the weather? I have different areas to hunt as they start to migrate down off the mountain. No matter what the conditions are they always bed down during the day. You just have to find out where that is. At what altitude, and where at that altitude?

So, I can't give you a set answer to your question. Too many variables. I try to have at least 20-25 spots in a unit that I can still hunt through. I might try 4-5 of them in a day. Of course if I see any other hunters around I just go to the next spot, and cross that spot off the list for the season. You need complete solitude to still hunt effectively. One more thing. Never call. The goal is to see the elk before it sees you. That's impossible if you give away your position by calling. You're going to the elk. You don't want it coming to you. Two different methods.

Edit...Oops! I forgot I was on the deer forum. Everything still applies for deer. I'm always thinking elk, because it's my first choice to hunt.

HOPTOAD

FNG
Thank you for the reply. I now realize I have not scouted the area I hunt well enough to be able to still hunt effectivly.

Would you mind describing what you are looking for in order to determine a spot is still hunt worthy?

In order to keep the thread on topic (stalking) would you mind if I PM'ed you if other questions arise?

Thanks Again