What’s the coolest thing you found in the back country

I've found the remnants of a couple meth "labs". Maybe not cool but, probably one of the more interesting finds.

mtg

FNG
So unexpected cool views for sure. Also, found son cool, old school survey/geo markers/stakes

maxk777

FNG
I was a big fan of the creepy thread that’s been going around on here, but wanted to expand this discussion beyond weird/creepy/paranormal. So what’s the coolest thing you’ve found?
Unfortunately not an elk so far

magtech

WKR
1000003894.jpgFound this in a rock ledge when i got cliffed out.

Apparently, the guys father died and he hid this in a spot so whoever found it would have had to work hard to get it.

Two shots of scotch and his fathers flask. I messeaged the guy a pic of what i found and put it back. Hopefully, it will be found again someday.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I thought this rock was pretty cool. Not sure why but I brought it home to put on my weird stuff shelf. Found it on the edge of a canola field while listening to bulls bugle in the background.

Attachments

• 20240906_110728.jpg
    20240906_110728.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 109
Way way back in the day, in the mid sixties, there actually was sort of a "back country" in the hills of Castro Valley, California. While exploring as a ten-year old, I found a femur that was later identified as belonging to a camel. Turns out that there was a short-lived population of them stemming from a brief experiment by the US Cavalry; didn't work out and many were turned loose.

Funny enough, I grew up in Hayward/Castro Valley and when we'd see cows grazing hillsides off 580 my dad would jokingly say, "Look, camels!" I guess he was closer to being right than we thought.

Mojave

WKR
A friend of mine flew back for a month of R&R home leave and spent 3 weeks with some nurse he met while backpacking and her dog. He got emotional about her and she flew out here a few months later. Then she flew home creeped out by him.

He is a highly effeminate photographer creepy type guy. Doesn't bother me as someone I worked with but my wife said she could smell the sleaze on him a mile away.

He is a sweet talker, but they always run. I wonder what the back story is.

Big guy too, like 6'3. He PCS'd to Oklahoma and I have not seen him in 6 years.

TSnave

FNG
Not really back country, but walking some foothills where I like to hunt mule deer I saw the flash of a shed. It was just a little fork but when I picked it up there was an old knife on the ground underneath it with the leather washer handle rotted away. Still have it in the shop somewhere, someday I'll put it all back together.