What’s the coolest thing you found in the back country

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I thought this rock was pretty cool. Not sure why but I brought it home to put on my weird stuff shelf. Found it on the edge of a canola field while listening to bulls bugle in the background.

Attachments

• 20240906_110728.jpg
    20240906_110728.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 69
Way way back in the day, in the mid sixties, there actually was sort of a "back country" in the hills of Castro Valley, California. While exploring as a ten-year old, I found a femur that was later identified as belonging to a camel. Turns out that there was a short-lived population of them stemming from a brief experiment by the US Cavalry; didn't work out and many were turned loose.

Funny enough, I grew up in Hayward/Castro Valley and when we'd see cows grazing hillsides off 580 my dad would jokingly say, "Look, camels!" I guess he was closer to being right than we thought.

Mojave

WKR
A friend of mine flew back for a month of R&R home leave and spent 3 weeks with some nurse he met while backpacking and her dog. He got emotional about her and she flew out here a few months later. Then she flew home creeped out by him.

He is a highly effeminate photographer creepy type guy. Doesn't bother me as someone I worked with but my wife said she could smell the sleaze on him a mile away.

He is a sweet talker, but they always run. I wonder what the back story is.

Big guy too, like 6'3. He PCS'd to Oklahoma and I have not seen him in 6 years.