What you think this scope is worth?

nobody

WKR
10-4. I've never liked the idea of an illuminated scope. Back of my mind it just seems like another gadget to break.

You mentioned "modern Leupold." Is there a general consensus that their quality degraded of late? Should I consider holding on to my 20 year old VXIII if it's of higher quality than the modern ones?
I generally agree with illumination. But the Accupoint line uses Tritium, which is a radioactive substance, to chemically glow in low light. I don’t fully understand, but there’s no electronics or anything to fail, and it’s got like a 10 or 15 year shelf life.

Yes, there is. Tons of people still love leupold and have no issues, but just google “leupold scope failure” and scroll through thousands of pages of forum threads and discussions regarding leupolds failing to adjust, losing zero from riding on washboard roads, wandering zero inside a 3-ish inch cone relative to point of aim, and lots of documented claims by leupold each time they release a new scope that they’ve “fixed the design” for better reliability, only to realize they don’t hold up any better. The old (like pre 90’s) fixed powers were awesome, but their new scopes are at the bottom of the totem pole for many of us.

I’ve experienced a 100% failure rate with Leupold. Wandering zero, losing zero under normal use, cracked internal lenses, etc. From both the VX3 line and the VX5 line, it hasn’t mattered. I’ve seen them both die on personal rigs. Leupold makes great products, but their modern scopes have proven fragile compared to historical averages.

KenLee

WKR
Yeah I’ve always had a soft spot for the A Bolts. I had one in 308 I kick myself everyday for getting rid of. I don’t even know why, I just like them!

Your 270 WSM is just begging for a Trijicon Credo 2-10x36, or a Nightforce SHV 3.5-10!
Naah a $700ish Accupoint 2.5-10x56 with lil amber dot.

OP
P
I know yall aren’t big on Leupold. Guess I’ve just been lucky. But, sportmamsguide has a VX5 3-15 x 44 for $999. Promo now for 15% off and a $100 gift card with that scope. Not a bad deal.

OP
P
Put down the pipe. It's a sad addition 😢
Yeah, no joke. Sitting here looking at $1,000 (and more) scopes to put on a 20 year old gun that has a completely acceptable scope on it already. I also don't really want to split the two up... they've served me so well for so long... so that has got me kinda looking at a new rifle for the $1,000 scope. Hahahaha. Problem there is REALLY don't need another rifle. 22LR, a 270WSM and a 300WM pretty much has be covered. Hmmm.... what should a new one be? Hahaha.

KenLee

WKR
Yeah, no joke. Sitting here looking at $1,000 (and more) scopes to put on a 20 year old gun that has a completely acceptable scope on it already. I also don't really want to split the two up... they've served me so well for so long... so that has got me kinda looking at a new rifle for the $1,000 scope. Hahahaha. Problem there is REALLY don't need another rifle. 22LR, a 270WSM and a 300WM pretty much has be covered. Hmmm.... what should a new one be? Hahaha.
BLR 7mm-08. Spectacular fun

OP
P
Best balanced line of factory produced rifles ever
It’s not an II

Original a bolt I think 2005

I have always loved this gun and I’ve never been really sure why. It shoots well. Which of course matters. But it also just feels good to carry. I wonder if you’re coming about center of gravity and weight distribution has a lot to do with my 20 year entry and comfort.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
It’s not an II

Original a bolt I think 2005

I have always loved this gun and I’ve never been really sure why. It shoots well. Which of course matters. But it also just feels good to carry. I wonder if you’re coming about center of gravity and weight distribution has a lot to do with my 20 year entry and comfort.
It's a II. They had went to a-bolt II before the wsm rifles came out in 2001 or 2002. I know because I bought a 270wsm the first yr they were made.

sdupontjr

WKR
An easy first glace check is the A-bolt II has a different bolt shroud. If the bolt shroud is round its an original abolt, if its flat on 3 sides, its an abolt II. Mine is a 1994 Abolt II Medallion 7mag with the Boss system. Browning also offered that if you sent your Abolt II bolt to them, they would put you name on your bolt. I sent mine in and had my name put in script on the bolt to blend in with the engravings on the Medallion action.

OP
P
An easy first glace check is the A-bolt II has a different bolt shroud. If the bolt shroud is round its an original abolt, if its flat on 3 sides, its an abolt II. Mine is a 1994 Abolt II Medallion 7mag with the Boss system. Browning also offered that if you sent your Abolt II bolt to them, they would put you name on your bolt. I sent mine in and had my name put in script on the bolt to blend in with the engravings on the Medallion action.
Copy.

Maybe it was the medallion thing that had me questioning from 20 years ago. My shroud is definitely octagonal in shape. Been a good gun.

OP
P
Resized_20240630_110718.jpegIMG_9176.jpegGot my butt yesterday with out of town folks from Atlanta and Kansas.

All my 5 year old wanted was a stupid shark. Tried today and wound up with this true beast.