What is the current best scope on the market?

They both do the same thing, it’s just a matter of how your brain works.
Both are angular measurements so use either. MRAD can be helpful in breaking the habit of people equating their angular unit to inches. However if you hunt with other people and they're all using MOA, probably stick with that.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up my first rifle (tikka t3x superlite in .308win) and looking to buy the best scope possible in reliability, glass, holding zero, and good features. Mostly open to hearing any opinions with no budget in mind just to hear whats out there, but Im personally looking to spend no more than $2.5k which also seems a lot. Honestly, I impulsively purchased a Leupold VX6HD for a good price, but am debating on returning it now as I have seen a few reports of here of people saying it doesnt hold zero and may not be reliable? New to hunting and would appreciate any help, thanks guys.
Nightforce are probably the most reliable scopes currently made. I had the SHV F1, and it was a good scope, but the glass left a little to be desired, and I dont care for Nightforce’s reticle selection.

I’ve had good results with the SWFAs. Fantastic scopes for the $, reliable, track correctly and will take abuse, but others have better glass, and the SWFAs don’t have a zero stop.

I did a detailed review of the TRACT TORIC 30MM HUNT SERIES RIFLE SCOPE and it did very well. The reticle is not perfect (none are), but it is a VERY nice scope and one I would recommend.

I have used several of the Bushnell Elite Tactical series, and though not mentioned as often as others, they are great scopes. They track precisely and will take a beating and continue to function correctly. The current line up is limited to the tactical models and are heavier than I would want to put on a Super Lite, but if you can find a used LRHS2, that would be my recommendation. I have one on my hunting rig, and I think it is pretty much the best long range hunting scope out there. Mine tracks precisely, the glass is very good and the reticle works well for both long range and in low light. If you’re vigilant, you can find them used at a good price. The same can be said for the Bushnell LRHS, LRHSi and LRTSi, all of which can be found used.

John

Rob2d

FNG
The best scope on the market (according to whoever you listen to) is not necessary the best for you and your application. Speaking from experience, I built a 308 mid range gun (solid out to 1k) that I also wanted to use for hunting. Long story short, 2 deer down and less than 75 yards of distance combined....my rifle was extreme overkill.

With all that said, if I was you...get something with no more than 16x-ish, ffp, good turrets, and from a solid company. It's better to have a clear scope with mid/longish range capabilities than a monster of a scope with inferior glass. Keep that in mind when looking for a s&b, night force, etc....they all make amazing products. Personally, the NightForce ATACR 4-16x50mm might be worth looking at if I were you.

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second what Rob stated. I currently have a NightForce ATACR 4-16x50mm SFP and love it. While the weight and price tag were initially a concern, the peace of mind it offers is worth it.

OP
cueva

cueva

FNG
The best scope on the market (according to whoever you listen to) is not necessary the best for you and your application. Speaking from experience, I built a 308 mid range gun (solid out to 1k) that I also wanted to use for hunting. Long story short, 2 deer down and less than 75 yards of distance combined....my rifle was extreme overkill.

With all that said, if I was you...get something with no more than 16x-ish, ffp, good turrets, and from a solid company. It's better to have a clear scope with mid/longish range capabilities than a monster of a scope with inferior glass. Keep that in mind when looking for a s&b, night force, etc....they all make amazing products. Personally, the NightForce ATACR 4-16x50mm might be worth looking at if I were you.
Thank you! I just picked up an ATACR in 4-16 as well. After a lot of research I feel really confident with this purchase.

azjim

Lil-Rokslider
$1000 scope will be more than you need for hunting. Spend the money or a good pair of binoculars and tripod. You'll spend 100 hours a year glassing and 5 minutes looking at game through your scope. IMHO

Kurts86

WKR
For an all around best in class it’s hard to beat a Nightforce ATACR a of your preferred magnification range/focal plane.

If you look to the target shooting world and we’ll beyond your stated budget Kahles, ZCO, Tangent Theta and a few others will be regarded as having better glass but with potential downsides of durability/size/weight.

270quest

WKR
In that budget - a scope that starts with Schmidt and ends with Bender...

After that, I would be looking for a NF ATCAR

fwafwow

WKR
I did a detailed review of the TRACT TORIC 30MM HUNT SERIES RIFLE SCOPE and it did very well. The reticle is not perfect (none are), but it is a VERY nice scope and one I would recommend.

John

JGRaider

WKR
I've had a Toric UHD for several years now, and it's ridden atop a 300WM, 7Mag, 260 REM, and 6.5CM. It's been dialed hundreds of times and always tracked and returned to zero. No issues at all.

fwa, Hondo64 knows his stuff, backwards and forwards. You'd be better off to quit talking and start taking notes.

Kimmo H

FNG
The 4-16x42 baby ATACR is definitely among the best hard core hunting scopes in my opinion. It isn't overly heavy or bulky, the optical quality is good, turrets are excellent and it has a solid durability reputation. Locking elevation turret is great.

The rotating eyepiece is not perfect for everyone, the reticle isn't day light bright when illuminated, but other than that it is a pretty well rounded and field proven package.

NF scopes are ridicilously expensive where I live, and still it is one of the best purchases I've invested in gun stuff.

fwafwow

WKR
I've had a Toric UHD for several years now, and it's ridden atop a 300WM, 7Mag, 260 REM, and 6.5CM. It's been dialed hundreds of times and always tracked and returned to zero. No issues at all.

fwa, Hondo64 knows his stuff, backwards and forwards. You'd be better off to quit talking and start taking notes.
I don’t know @Hondo64d and my post says nothing about him. I applaud him for drop testing.

But note that Tract’s view on drop testing differs. Or more specifically, the owners views on drop testing differs.

Happily this tangent is moot.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Once you guys figure this one out, please let me know what the best 4x4 pickup truck is too please.
2f348640c5b29847cf3ef41d9e696537.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk