What is the current best scope on the market?

How about a 6x42mm Leupold with the LR dots set for the ballistics of the load you hunt with. 6x seems to me to be equally good close up and far away and with the dots set by Leupold for the ballistics of the load you shoot it would be a winner. My understanding is that almost everyone says the fixed power scopes are far more rugged and clearer than a variable. You eliminate a lot of the issues that can be a problem in a variable scope. I like fixed power and until 2019 I had never ever purchased a variable for a big game rifle.
6x Leupold at 100 yards with 2 different loads in my Ruger 1B single shot 6mm Remington
001_zps7d0ae308.jpg

2 shots in 6mm Remington 500 yards. 6x Leupold on the Ruger 1B
400amp500yardsAccubonds017_zps31fc2be0.jpg

Same rifle 400 yards.
400amp500yardsAccubonds034_zps627a75c1.jpg

Ruger 1B 30-06 single-shot rifle with 4x fixed power Leupold scope on it. 500 yards.
400amp500yardsAccubonds025_zps4c54cbb5.jpg

Here's my Ruger 1B 30-06 at 100 yards.
30-06%20003_zpshs8vk7iv.jpg

002_zpsy8i5vxrh.jpg

My scopes do not have the LR dots in them. I've been thinking about upgrading the 4x on my 30-06 to a 6x and having Leupold put the LR dots for my load in the scope. I think it would be a winner!!

JRS3

FNG
e0d167fe5d4b3560b4b13b08a44f711a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
I have that scope with illuminated dot reticle. It adjusts very well and seems very tough. However, it flared badly on me this year. A buck came out with a doe at daylight, to the east at 120 yards. I could clearly see the buck through my binos but when I put the gun up, it was like looking into a whiteout fog/snow storm but there was neither that morning. At first, I thought the scope was fogged but I tilted it up towards the treetops to check the image and it was clear. When I dropped back down on the buck, it was a complete whiteout and couldn’t see him. It took another 3-4 mins before I could faintly make out the deer’s shoulder. I squeezed off and heard the bullet impact but had no idea what had happened. Fortunately, the buck dropped but there was no way I could tell…..I have many brands of scopes and have shot at first and last light in similar situations but have never experienced that….I contacted SB and they offered to check the scope, which was bought new about a year ago. I am going to send it back after the season…..I have a 50mm Klassik and it has not shown the issue. I also learned that the Klassiks have an “upper 80’s” light transmission due to being an older design….

TxLite

WKR
I have that scope with illuminated dot reticle. It adjusts very well and seems very tough. However, it flared badly on me this year. A buck came out with a doe at daylight, to the east at 120 yards. I could clearly see the buck through my binos but when I put the gun up, it was like looking into a whiteout fog/snow storm but there was neither that morning. At first, I thought the scope was fogged but I tilted it up towards the treetops to check the image and it was clear. When I dropped back down on the buck, it was a complete whiteout and couldn’t see him. It took another 3-4 mins before I could faintly make out the deer’s shoulder. I squeezed off and heard the bullet impact but had no idea what had happened. Fortunately, the buck dropped but there was no way I could tell…..I have many brands of scopes and have shot at first and last light in similar situations but have never experienced that….I contacted SB and they offered to check the scope, which was bought new about a year ago. I am going to send it back after the season…..I have a 50mm Klassik and it has not shown the issue. I also learned that the Klassiks have an “upper 80’s” light transmission due to being an older design….
I had the exact same experience with this scope. Fortunately it was before I got it mounted up so it didn’t mess up a hunt. It checked all the boxes until it did that. I ended up returning it because the issue was so pronounced compared to my tenmile and z5, but I’ve considered picking another one up and adding a sunshade to see if that fixes the issue.

If most of my hunting wasn’t done at first/last light this scope would be on every one of my hunting rifles.

I’ve considered picking another one up and adding a sunshade to see if that fixes the issue.
It looks goofy but there's no optical downside to using a sunshade and more hunters should use them. It's a shame they're looked down on.

TxLite

WKR
It looks goofy but there's no optical downside to using a sunshade and more hunters should use them. It's a shame they're looked down on.

My thought process was that I purchased it to be a lightweight and compact replacement to my 3-18x50 Tenmile. By adding the sunshade, I’m essentially right back where I was to begin with but with a smaller objective to gather light

I still might do it though and see if it works for me