First time western big game..?

MF11

FNG
New member here. I am a recent college graduate and currently researching my first western big game excursion. I’m leaning towards Mule Deer, but also interested in black bear and Elk. I’m located in AR but I’m fascinated with the challenges of western backpack hunting.

I am extremely green and currently don’t have any points anywhere but was considering some of the 0 point draw units in Colorado, Idaho or Montana. I’d like to be in mountains as that is just what appeals to me but I have had a hard time learning anything about the hunting units. I know hunting is hard and success rates are typically low. I really just want to get my feet wet and learn as much as I can about the art of mountain backpack hunting and other general information about Muleys and the states to hunt them in.

Calbuck

WKR
Best thing you can do is read all the info you can and put yourself in the position. Buy an otc tag somewhere that sounds/looks appealing and go get started. You’ll learn the ins and outs and every time you go you’ll increase your odds of being successful the more time you spend out there. That’s the way a lot of people have learned. Others grew up with hunting families so it was natural for them. Time in the field is your friend

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
More info out there than you have time for. Newberg, meat eater, rockslide , epic, cliff grey. Just start researching. As for units. Yea just get a second choice tag that has remoteness and go. One of the best ways to learn is by doing it.

OP
M

MF11

FNG
Best thing you can do is read all the info you can and put yourself in the position. Buy an otc tag somewhere that sounds/looks appealing and go get started. You’ll learn the ins and outs and every time you go you’ll increase your odds of being successful the more time you spend out there. That’s the way a lot of people have learned. Others grew up with hunting families so it was natural for them. Time in the field is your friend
yeah I’ve been all over trying to learn as much as I can. Never called at elk so I kinda figured a mule deer or bear hunt would be a little more user friendly but maybe I am wrong. Like I said I’m mostly trying to learn and maybe get a decent animal in the process. As far as finding a unit I guess just look at harvest reports and maybe stay away from general units with the highest harvest numbers if they seem crowded.

Calbuck

WKR
yeah I’ve been all over trying to learn as much as I can. Never called at elk so I kinda figured a mule deer or bear hunt would be a little more user friendly but maybe I am wrong. Like I said I’m mostly trying to learn and maybe get a decent animal in the process. As far as finding a unit I guess just look at harvest reports and maybe stay away from general units with the highest harvest numbers if they seem crowded.

Just starting out I wouldn’t even worry about trophy quality or even crowded units..with no points you’re going to be dealing with that anyway. Just getting your feet wet will help you sort all the most important things out for yourself

Maxhunter

WKR
Buy points and in a few years you should draw some tags. In 2025 CO is going to draw for NR. No more OTC for archery. You might want to try getting antlerless tags to get your feet wet.

OP
M

MF11

FNG
Buy points and in a few years you should draw some tags. In 2025 CO is going to draw for NR. No more OTC for archery. You might want to try getting antlerless tags to get your feet wet.
That’s what I’ve been hearing.. is it worth snagging a bear tag and getting the lay of the land in certain units until I accumulate enough points?

SonnyDay

WKR
What's your weapon of choice?

As others have said, don't get too hung up on stats and such.

Assuming you have or can get your Colorado hunter's safety card (or have a qualifying one from another state), I'd try to get out for over-the-counter (OTC) elk this fall. Just go somewhere in the western half of the state (where most OTC units are anyhow).

You could easily learn to bugle and cow call before then (see: ElkNut). But even if you don't... go anyway.

And for the love of God get in shape!!!

Good luck!

Get in great shape, get comfortable with backcountry camping, and just start hunting as soon as possible - literally any tag you can get - so you can learn from experience. Mule deer tags take a little more planning, but you can hunt Colorado elk or black bear OTC this fall.