What is the current best scope on the market?

cueva

FNG
Just picked up my first rifle (tikka t3x superlite in .308win) and looking to buy the best scope possible in reliability, glass, holding zero, and good features. Mostly open to hearing any opinions with no budget in mind just to hear whats out there, but Im personally looking to spend no more than $2.5k which also seems a lot. Honestly, I impulsively purchased a Leupold VX6HD for a good price, but am debating on returning it now as I have seen a few reports of here of people saying it doesnt hold zero and may not be reliable? New to hunting and would appreciate any help, thanks guys.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
e0d167fe5d4b3560b4b13b08a44f711a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

OP
cueva

cueva

FNG
I would look at a Nightforce nx8.
I was actually just doing some deep research and looking at an nx8 out of the Nightforce optics. Now looking at an nx8 4-32x50. Reccomend the SFP or F1 version? Also, MOAR or MIL reticle? thank you!

Motown

WKR
What are you planning on using this rifle/scope combo for and what is the furthest shot you are comfortable with?

I also have a T3X superlite in a 308. While I really like this rifle, a 4-32 scope would be serious overkill for my purposes since the max range I’ll ever shoot it will be roughly around 300-400 yards. The 3-12 S&B that Redwing mentioned would be perfect for just about any hunting scenario within 500 yards or so IMO.

OP
cueva

cueva

FNG
What are you planning on using this rifle/scope combo for and what is the furthest shot you are comfortable with?

I also have a T3X superlite in a 308. While I really like this rifle, a 4-32 scope would be serious overkill for my purposes since the max range I’ll ever shoot it will be roughly around 300-400 yards. The 3-12 S&B that Redwing mentioned would be perfect for just about any hunting scenario within 500 yards or so IMO.
wanting for overall hunting (deer, elk, goat, etc), I was mostly looking at the 4-32 as people say it has better glass and eyebox than the nx8 in 2.5-20. Im also looking into the S&B, but have mostly read recommendations on Nightforce on here so bit leaning toward it, still researching haha

If you're using this scope as a hunting out to 600yds and under there is no need for you to have that high end magnification.
Get the nightforce shv F1 4-14x50 mil-r.
Mount it in unknown munitions tikka rings.
Use the rest of the money to buy a couple cases of ammo and go shoot the every round and learn your rifle system.

Dobermann

WKR
Just picked up my first rifle (tikka t3x superlite in .308win) and looking to buy the best scope possible in reliability, glass, holding zero, and good features. Mostly open to hearing any opinions with no budget in mind just to hear whats out there, but Im personally looking to spend no more than $2.5k which also seems a lot. Honestly, I impulsively purchased a Leupold VX6HD for a good price, but am debating on returning it now as I have seen a few reports of here of people saying it doesnt hold zero and may not be reliable? New to hunting and would appreciate any help, thanks guys.
Read this: https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

BAKPAKR

WKR
I would watch the classifieds, buy two SWFA 3-9s, buy a Tikka Superlite in 223 for practice (and for hunting up to, and including, moose 😀), and be left with enough money from your scope budget to buy quite a bit of ammo.

An NX8 4-32 is a pretty big scope and I think the power would be way too much for any 308 I would have.

sdupontjr

WKR
Best scope on the market is apparently the minox zp5 THLR. But that doesn't mean it's the best scope for you.

Read the subforum linked above and return that leupold.
Yep, best in regards to what? In my case, I wanted the "best" low light optic out there, so i bought a Schmidt Bender Polar T96, 4-16x56 with illuminated #4 dot.

Your best may not include low light.

I've never needed $2000 scopes to kill animals. To each his own though.
Everyone is different and overspending on optics is way smarter than overspending on guns to the point you don't have any money left for equally good optics. After my first coues hunt (shot one at 400 in the shade of a hillside towards the direction of the sun) I walked away with an appreciation for good glass. If I could switch up my setups and not take a horrific bath on selling used, I'd convert my main gun into a Tikka CTR with a Tangent Theta on top of it.

Macintosh

WKR
This is a unanswerable question that will arrive nowhere beyond a random opinion poll without a lot more info about the type and location of hunting and shooting it will be used for. Best for you is probably not the same as best for me. Best anyone can expect with info presented is brands or families of scopes to look for or avoid.

Personally for BEST without any budget I’ll be concerned with scopes that have a proven track record for reliability by lots of people who are overly critical OF RELIABILITY, since Ive had several supposedly high-quality scope brands repeatedly crap-out on me. So, boutique brands that I have been unable to get lots of feedback on such as march, tangent theta, zco are strictly out of consideration—I just cant get enough info on actual real-world reliability to justify the hype, and Ive personally seen enough scopes with great reputations fail that I dont trust the mystique. Prs use does not count, as all of the prs rigs I have seen are relatively babied. Seems to me the brands that have a reputation for “best” in this regard are nightforce, trijicon, schmidt &bender, swfa. So far all other brands seem bad, suspect or untested enough for me to risk high $$$$ on them.

Next up for me is reticle and magnification matching my uses and my eyes. I have never seen an swfa in the wild, I hear people like their reticle but some of those same people accept some other reticles that I think are terrible, so Im not going out of my way to try one. Aside from their forceplex reticle I have yet to find a nightforce reticle that I would use for all-around general hunting, so they are out the window for me as well. Trijicon has some mil-dot type reticles that I think are ok, although some of their better scopes I dont care for the reticles at all for general-purpose hunting. So to me thats an iffy choice for all-around best scope. That leaves me with schmidt and bender. I like their p3 and p4 reticles, to me thats a good all-around hunting reticle that also functions for medium range (beyond point blank) hunting and practice. To me it’s the best Ive been able to find in a scope that I find acceptable. Their 3-12 klassik is a pretty good scope so far that, while it has some quirks that I dont care for (limited elevation travel, turret twists in wrong direction, mag ring rotates too far), does the best job of ticking the important criteria for me. Some of their more $$ models eliminate most of these quirks, so thats the direction Id personally be looking for the “best scope” given the broad criteria listed and my personal priorities.

Last edited:

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
I was actually just doing some deep research and looking at an nx8 out of the Nightforce optics. Now looking at an nx8 4-32x50. Reccomend the SFP or F1 version? Also, MOAR or MIL reticle? thank you!
I honestly have no preference for ffp or sfp, a lot of guys will recommend sfp for hunting so you can see the reticle better at low magnification. As far as reticles, it really depends on how you’re going to be measuring your bullet drop, I prefer moa but a lot of guys on here use mils. They both do the same thing, it’s just a matter of how your brain works. At the same point though, with that scope, you’re going to be dialing, so all of the extras in the reticle will just be noise. Also, I recommended this scope because it’s close to the price point of the vx6. I do think that for your application you could do well with something like an swfa 3-9. They’re tough and they work, period. The biggest thing is just practice practice practice, and you bought a great rifle to do that with, 308 is cheap and easy to shoot and you won’t shoot out your barrel any time soon.
Have fun!