What would you (really) do?

What do you really do?

• Stop hunting and help him locate, dress and pack his elk out

Votes: 52 35.9%
  • Wish him luck & continue your hunt (maybe share a local horsepacker's phone number)

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 20 13.8%

• Total voters

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I would say, what are you doing out here by yourself three miles from your tuck, didn't you plan ahead. Didn't you think, how will I get the meat from a 600 lbs. bull back by myself. That would be at least two round trips and that's after quartering or boning it out. Depending on terrain and weather conditions, lets say 3 hour round trip x 2 or more likely x 3. Then I would say, sucks to be you. Actually I'm a big softly, I would say, I'll go get mine then we'll do them both. .

FLATHEAD

WKR
Dont really know, depends on the situation.
Dont think I'd quit hunting.
I've made the kill 3 miles in and it sucks.
But sometimes you gotta suck it up.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I had an offer from someone to help me today, about 5 miles from the road. I had my 4 yr old with me (we had packed in and camped) plus two days limit of ptarmigan. I will admit, I though for a moment before saying no. 100 pound pack when the 4 year old was in the carrier, plus loaded awkwardly. We made it, but the slippery mud on the las 2 miles really sucked. Anyway, made me think of this thread.20220905_134549.jpg

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what kind of vibe I get from the person.

Most likely I would help them. Things in life are much better when shared and what a cool way to share an experience with a stranger and possibly make a new friend.

Marble

WKR
If he stuck the bull and was solo I would offer to hang out and help. Regardless of his need or help coming to pack out, it always easier with two.

Other times I have helped the hunter has always been gratefull and sometimes shared some cherished info.

What goes around comes around..

My offer to help him pack meat would also depend on the weather. He should be prepared mentally and be using the right equipment.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sram9102

WKR
I had an offer from someone to help me today, about 5 miles from the road. I had my 4 yr old with me (we had packed in and camped) plus two days limit of ptarmigan. I will admit, I though for a moment before saying no. 100 pound pack when the 4 year old was in the carrier, plus loaded awkwardly. We made it, but the slippery mud on the las 2 miles really sucked. Anyway, made me think of this thread.View attachment 448916

That looks like a blast to have with the kiddo!!

KNOPHISH

FNG
To me the pack out is as much fun as the hunt. Sometimes they may even share some meat with ya.

Laramie

WKR
As others have stated - just depends. On more than one occasion I have helped someone find and breakdown an animal. Typically I pack out one load since I'm likely headed out anyways. I truck camp 99% of the time as the areas I hunt have roads basically everywhere. Unless the guy was a jerk, I would offer to do the same.

svivian

WKR
I hunt by myself a lot and have packed out elk solo several miles. With that said i always offer to help if they seem nice. Just this weekend A guy in the bottom of a hell hole was coming out around 12 with half a cow elk on his back and I offered.... he declined and was happy to do the work himself.

I voted help track/ pack, though I would see if he has an inreach and has buddies coming or not. If he has help/is all set/wants to go at it alone, keep hunting.

If he is solo and asks / acts like he could use help, and seams like a legit guy, my moral compass would not let me not help.

Maybe Years ago I would say your on your own, but I have been in his shoes before, and it's an absolute grind weather you have help or not. There something about sharing the brutal experience with someone that shares the same passion as you. Yeah I could keep hunting, but helping someone who just connected is sometimes just as satisfying as connecting yourself.

WJS23

WKR
I would help the guy out, I did it 2 years ago when I hunting Colorado.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Going to depend on how the interaction goes and what his plan/attitude is. Likely help him at least locate the elk, even if he has friends coming or seems confident in his plan.
If I have had eyes on decent bulls every day I likely have a back up evening plan and will probably resort to that after locating, may take a load out partway or to trail head if my back up plan is in that direction. Or even help with the entire pack out if I have more than one evening to continue hunting.

Lots of good answers in here. I have actually have been bow hunting a really long time and I immensely enjoy the satisfaction of trailing and subsequently finding game. Over the years many a buddy has called me out to help find their animals. I seem to have a knack for finding them. Depending upon the interaction and the discussion I would probably about 99% odds certainly try to at the very least help him locate the animal before I even considered heading off. Too many possible variables to decide if I would help pack out or not. At my age I probably don't have but one pack out left in this old carcass.

CorbLand

WKR
If you help when you can help, you will receive when you need.

Sometimes its inconvenient but its words I have tried to live by my entire life.

dtrkyman

WKR
It depends, at 11am 3 miles in I would probably help him get a hind quarter off, hump it out and return to my hunt, If he was not done after the end of legal time I would help him some more.

Not elk hunting but, it was 1800 vertical feet in less then 1/2 mile. Dead deer I killed. I laid down my rifle and was looking the deer over when a guy spoke to me. Scared the life out of me. He was camped one camp above me. He never offered and I never asked. I ended up packing it right by him loading up his truck to go home walking down the forest service road. Young deer. Still heavy in one load though.

Had three guys in CO help me with an elk once. Gracious of them. I was a long way from camp and it was getting hot. They helped me get it bagged and hung in the shade before going on hunting. I still call those guys from time to time.

I also packed out a bone in whitetail buck over two miles for an older guy this last season. That’s the heaviest pack I ever had on. Hurt too. But, I’ve seen the fellow in the woods hunting for years. He had a heart attack before last season. This was his last trip in there by his own admission. He shot the deer close to me. I heard the ruckus and went over and found him.

It was a big mature buck. There was zero chance he’d ever get it out without having another heart attack. I quartered it for him, bagged it, strapped everything but the head onto my Kifaru frame and humped it out of there. In less then 2.5 hours from finding him pondering what he was going to do.

I don’t know what the pack weighed. I just know I was really burning and sweating. Site the next day too. But, I would t change it for the world. You should’ve seen the look on his face when I took my pack off while telling him I was going to pack it for him. Worth every penny I spent to be there. I’m certain God put me there for that sole responsibility.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Nice to read the responses...clearly there are a number of hunters who are their brother's keeper. I selected the hour specifically, to address the heat of day aspect and potential to assist some and continue to hunt later. There are people who naturally give of themselves purely because they are giving, caring souls. These are the people who hold the door for you, help you move stuff with their truck, teach noobs the ropes, you get the gist. I think WVM's closing sentence says a lot.

GWHunter

FNG
If he seemed like a good guy, I'd offer to stop and help. I wouldn't push my help on him, but I'd at least offer. He he said yes I'd help him until the job was done or he told me to leave.