What water purification/filtration are you using for mountain hunting?

What do you use for purification/filtration in the mountains?

• Total voters

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got so many good comments on the knife thread that I made it into a sticky. It's very informative for readers to see what everyone is using and why, so I figured getting a thread going on some of the key points would be good for everyone to read through.

I know I use a couple different types depending on the situation, but the Katadyn Pro, MSR pills and Aqaumira are my favorite.

Please comment on what your using for purification/filtration and why.

Wrongside

WKR
Sawyer Inline on a MSR Dromlite whenever feasible. (Just love that little filter) Ancient MSR Miniworks and/or AquaTabs in the late season/winter.

Last edited:

Ray

WKR
Platypus big zip with a platypus in line filter. Next year I will be using a Sawyer mini in line.

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Used both pills and the Katadyn Hiker Plus.

If I know I'll have relatively clean streams I bring pills.

If I'm going to be drinking out of an elk wallow our scrounging for water i bring the pump.

ScottP

WKR
Going solo I use MSR mini works. Its easy to use and maintain in the field (if flow slows you just use scour pad to clean filter surface). I've had it forever. Downsides are its not the fastest way to make water and is heavier due to clay filter.

When going with multiple people, I take at Katadyn base camp. This is a large gravity feed system that uses the same filter as the hiker pro. Nice, easy way to produce lots of water for everyone.

I always take purification tablets for backup.

bbrown

WKR
Sawyer inline is awesome for summer early fall when freezing is not a big concern. Ol reliable PUR hiker when it's cold

whitingja

WKR
Platypus gravity 2 liter worked awesome. Didn't have to remove my camelback to fill it. Just flowed right into it. Best I have used.

Stid2677

WKR
Sawyer Squeeze into a bladder or bottle with Aqua Mira as a backup. So beats pumping, can be used so many ways.

Thought I would share a few tips for using the Sawer Water Filter System. First off the only draw back I have found is the bags that come with it can bust at the seems. Sawer has finally corrected this with the 2013 version, so make sure you get the 2013 version with the new improved squeeze bag. Make sure to roll the bag from the bottom like a tube of tooth paste and not squeeze it to death with both hands.

Mountain Laurel Designs is selling the new version. They also sell the inline kit.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=195

Incredible setup when combined with just a few extras.

First I cut a piece of screen out of a permanent coffee filter and placed that under the washer to act as a prefilter to keep debris out of the main filter element.

P3260745_zpsa3e7bfa4.jpg

In this photo you can see the Tornado Tube (clear piece) and the inline adapter kit. The Tornado tube is needed to attach it to a bag or bottle on the clean water side.

P3260748_zpse0a7a425.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/American-Scie...8&qid=1364318749&sr=8-1&keywords=tornado+tube

You can attach and use plastic water bottles, I like the larger size but only had these to use for the photos.

P3260749_zps6c5a7a2f.jpg

Here you can see it setup as a gravity filter, just make sure to mark your dirty bag and your clean bags to avoid contamination.

P3260754_zps94dddceb.jpg

Here you can see it in the inline setup with the inline adapter kit, it can be used this way to drink straight from your camel back or other hydration setup.

P3260755_zps50e74e4d.jpg

The clean side has a nipple that you can attach a hose to, so you really don't need the clean side part of the inline kit.

Like this you can drink through it like a straw using a hose attached to drop down into a water source.

P3260756_zps45d5d365.jpg

In this photo you can see that I used a coke bottle lid to seal the top and I used a hose plug to seal the bottom to keep it from leaking after use.

P3260757_zpsbc07c237.jpg

This photo is of the new bag on the right and the old bag on the left. The new bags are blue and the old style black.

P3260758_zpsa2eece61.jpg

Blow the water put after use and keep it in your pocket of sleeping bag during freezing weather. Great piece of light weight kit for water filtering.

Steve

OR Archer

WKR
I have been using a Katadyn Hiker for a few years now. Always carry pills for a back up. Bladder is a Nalgene Osprey 3 liter.

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Katadyn Vario because it got a lot of good reviews on various forums. I don't have a lot of experience with it but I am glad I have it when needed.

I have been using the sawyer in line and platy big zip and it works great when there a stream that's deep enough or with a good curret/flow. However if its slow water and/or shallow its a pain the ass to fill up that big zip. So if I'm not sure what kind of source ill have or I know it's slow or shallow water ill be using the pro hiker pump.

Ozz08

WKR
Sawyer squeeze and msr pills.

I rigged the squeeze filter with all of the camelbak disconnects like I did with my msr sweetwater so I can fill my bladder through the drinking tube and never have to take the bladder out of my pack. I'm on year 2 with the squeeze filer and I still think it is a pain in the ass but I deal with it for the weight savings. The bags kinda suck to fill and it's kinda time consuming to squeeze the water out of the bags through the filter. But like I said, I like the savings in weight and it literally takes up no space in my pack.

focker34

Lil-Rokslider
Sawyer inline with my camelbak. Doesn't get any easier than filling and drinking. I always carry aquamira as a backup in my pack.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sawyer inline with platypus 3L big zips for us, since we each have one there is no need for another back up. We finally replaced both our set ups at the end of season this year (due to filters that slowed way down despite back flushing , and big zips that were starting to look gross and leak a bit at the zipper closure), but honestly considering the amount of use and abuse we put them through over the previous two to three seasons I was totally satisfied, and happy to replace them with the same system again.

We have a steripen for situations where the filters are in danger of freezing (think winter camping), but rarely end up needing to use it since true winter camping typically has us melting snow, so it's easy to just boil the water....

tttoadman

WKR
Katadyn Hiker pump. I only use it if I feel I am at risk. Most of the time I can find the tip top headwaters, so i don't use it. I haven't been burned yet. I have actually only used the pump a couple times.

7mag.

WKR
Sawyer Squeeze filter for me. I take Aquamira drops for back up. I have a Katadyn base camp if I am going to stay in the same camp for several days. I like the base camp the best, but it's not practical for most of my hunts.