What are people using in the ways of head lamps for backpack hunting?

dla

WKR
When it is cold, and you need your light to last - you want lithiums. But not all lights work with lithiums (Petzel). So check.
I still use a BD spot but I also use a Coast. My all time favorite for night hiking was a 2 (AAA) streamlight with an updated LED - it was so nice and light (and run with lithiums for a very long time).
Remember to remove your alkaline batteries for long-term storage.

I use several, but the petzl tactikkas have been pretty bulletproof so far. I always just pull one battery out of whatever lamp I’m using when it gets put into the pack. Pretty small inconvenience to ensure the thing turns on in the dark later.

Petzl Actik Core. One rechargeable battery lasts me well over a week on pack hunts. I’ve been using Petzl headlamps for 30 ish years starting with the original Tikka. I keep a really small old original Black Diamond Ion for backup in my emergency kit. It weighs near nothing and runs on two lithium coin cells.
+1.
I've settled on the same setup. super light with the rechargeable battery and bright enough to hang on a branch for overhead light while quartering at night. The backup is also a great marker for the return trip.

Gtscotty

FNG
I use mostly Black Diamonds, an old Storm that I've had for close to 10 years, a newer Storm 400 and a Spot. I prefer the Storms, the 4 battery configuration seems to last much longer than the 3 battery Spot, the newer Storm I especially like, it's got RGB options, and tap for turbo mode. One of the main reasons I've stuck with BDs is the locking feature, I've never had one come on accidentally. I also use a Fenix HL60R, but it's mostly working on stuff around the house, it doesn't have as many light options or features, and it's kind of heavy, but it's rugged, bright and has a lot of power on tap with an 18650 battery. No lock on the HL60R though, and I have had it come on during carry.

Black Diamond headlamps for 5 years with no issues. I converted to the rechargeable battery type (Revolt) and prefer that over packing extra batteries.

ridgefire

WKR
I have had great luck with my Fenix HM65r. It is nice having the 1400 lumens if I need it and its nice to be able to just plug it in to recharge.

twall13

WKR
I always find it interesting how many people stick with black diamond because of the "lock out" feature. Everyone should use what they prefer but in this thread alone someone talked about how the lockout failed them. Then someone else mentioned the newer ones have a better lockout that is almost hard to get it to come out of on purpose. If you like those headlamps that's great, glad you found something that works for you. I just don't personally see the "lock out" feature alone being a good enough reason to stick with those lights. Admittedly I've never used a Black Diamond light so I can't compare directly, but the whole lockout process seems like more hassle than it's worth.

While I agree that a headlamp turning on in your pack and draining the battery is a big deal, the metal bodied Zebralights, Sofirns, Thrunites, and Fenix's I've used have all had a very simple fix for this. Twist the tail cap 1/4" turn and it can't come on because the connection is broken. It's very simple and can be done in the same motion as putting it in a pack pocket. I got in that habit long ago and have never had an issue. Seems like a more simple solution than specific button pressing for a certain amount of time to get it to lock out, but to each their own.