What vanes do you all use?

Sarcazmo

FNG
I usually use BSI glue with their activator.

It worked ok on my initial testing of the super sabres, but not great.

I switched to loctite 401 as they recommend and it made a big difference. In fact, I may switch to it for all my fletching.

Its pretty thin and runny but easy to use and dries super quick.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I usually use BSI glue with their activator.

It worked ok on my initial testing of the super sabres, but not great.

I switched to loctite 401 as they recommend and it made a big difference. In fact, I may switch to it for all my fletching.

Its pretty thin and runny but easy to use and dries super quick.
I bought some of the 401 due to their recommendation and tried it on a couple other vanes and had very poor performance out of it. I prepped the arrow and the vanes, but they still popped off. I primarily use AAE Max Stealth vanes and use their regimen for applying vanes and never had a problem with their vanes popping off or coming loose, but the 401 left me hanging so I gave up on it.

I have swapped over to Starbond Medium in the green label that says "Flexible" and so far it has been the best glue I've tried. It takes a few extra minutes to set, but that doesn't bother me. If it holds tight that makes me happy. I hate to go to all the trouble of fletching arrows only to have them come loose on me.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Easy Vanes, made here in Australia. I use the 4FP65 pictured. Very easy to install, durable as hell, and they fly great.

www.easyvanes.com.au

View attachment 422690
Also been using EasyVanes and can't imagine going back. They group exactly like my self fletched arrows and are so much quicker to install. Haven't had any vanes punctured by another arrow, which happened somewhat frequently with AAE's I was using before.

JTJ123

FNG
Blazers, 3 fletch, as offset/helical as possible without distorting the vane.

wmcbride

FNG
Blazers with a right helical. Not experienced enough that I think I can shoot any better than they fly.

3 AAE Max stealths with a helical.

Used a little of everything over the years looking for the magic pill. From 5” feathers to sharks teeth. From 2 to 6 fletch. If I went to anything else it would be 3 blazers.

Holocene

WKR
Either Bohning X3 2.25" for mechanical sor AAE Max Stealth for fixed head -- both with left helical on Arizona EZ fletch.

Shot Blazers for years off and on but wanted something a little lower in profile.

The X3 vanes are stiff and quiet and seem to be stabilizing SEVR 1.5 broadheads out to 75 yards very well. The AAE Max Stealths group about 10" lower at 75 yards with the SEVR with a 450 grain arrow going 290 fps. I'm liking the flat trajectory on these X3 vanes!

I've used blazers on my maxima reds for a long time without any complaints.

Though in way back in my undergrad studies I did a fun wind tunnel test/high speed camera test on quikspins vs angled vanes (blazers) vs feathers (of comparable size).

What I found was that while arrows with feathers were only a bit faster (1 fps) than all the others. The high speed camera footage showed them flying EXTREMELY still compared to 0 deg blazer vanes.

It was a fun experiment and gave me a huge bias toward feathers. Nowadays if I'm getting arrows shafts without vanes, I put feathers on them.

NOTE: we had limited time to do these tests so the high speed stuff should've been repeated with multiple arrows... and wasn't

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220705-212854_Slides.jpg
    Screenshot_20220705-212854_Slides.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20220705-212832_Slides.jpg
    Screenshot_20220705-212832_Slides.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20220705-212803_Slides.jpg
    Screenshot_20220705-212803_Slides.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 50

Lostguy29

FNG
I like the tac driver 2.75 in 3 fletch or the 2.25 4 fletched, recently I have been shooting the Bohning heat vane and really really like them

I'm experimenting.

Looks like 4 AAE Max Stealth/Hybrid 26's slight offset right helical is going to be the winner. Nice & quiet, steers my Iron Will Wide's quite well as far as a big fixed blade should be expected to fly reasonably well.

Excited to see how it does with the Sevr's when they show up.

2.75in TAC Driver vanes are the best I have found for my setup. 4 fletch controls a 600gr TAW with 290grs out front beautifully. They are very stiff and if you have good adhesion I haven't had one rip

phorizt

FNG
I’ve switched to Ozark Target Maxx 2.8” feathers on my Gold Tip Airstrike arrows and I really like them. They are low profile and lightweight and fly great. Using feathers i’m able to take almost 15 grains of weight off the back end compared to vanes. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but it works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
I found AAE vanes to be some of the least durable I've tried. On target pass through or a miss they seemed to rarely make it out without refletching needed. They wrinkle and hold shape if bent. I could get them to stick good but still seemed to lose vanes occasionally. Using their prep method with other vanes like Easton Diamond 280 to be about impossible to lose.

Since switching I rarely rarely have to fletch arrows. Seemed like with Blazers or Max Stealth i was constantly fletching. Vanetec would wave like crazy and had a small base but I liked how quiet the 3 superspine was.