What short action bolt to build

Chunky Dunk 71

Lil-Rokslider
I know this has been beat to death over the years, but looking for a do a lot (notice not a do everything) rifle, that kids could use for deer and hogs. Really thinking about a .243 or 6mm. Already have a nice 7mm-08. Should i be considering a 257 bob, or any other caliber. I would like to use off the shelf ammo if possible. I have a good stock inleted for a Rem short action, and CF sendero barrel channel, with a donor action and trigger. I am looking at purchasing a barrel and have it spun up with a new caliber. I do have an 18" Proof barrel in 7mm from another build i changed up that I could use. What says the experts???

Of the options that interest me and have factory ammo - 6 creedmoor, 6 ARC, 243.

06 SB

Lil-Rokslider
No reason to go 6CM unless you plan to use really long bullets. It would be easier IMO, to get a 7.5 or 8 twist 6mm barrel and have it chambered to 243. There is plenty of factory ammo and it will be wonderfully stabilized. If you decide to handload the heavies or if factories begin offering it, then you have a rifle that is ready.

Ammo in the other chamberings may be tough to find.

Last edited:
Do you like the 6CM over the standard 6mm? I am just starting to learn about the 6 arc, and it does look promising as well.

Yes. Generally more factory ammo options and of types that appeal to me more. I also think in general the cartridge design and associated factory ammo has a higher likelihood of achieving good precision.

Axlrod

WKR
No reason to go 6CM unless you plan to use really long bullets. It would be easier IMO, to get a 7.5 twist 6mm barrel and have it chambered to 243. There is plenty of factory ammo and it will be wonderfully stabilized. If you decide to handload the heavies or if factories begin offering it, then you have a rifle that is ready.

Ammo in the other chamberings may be tough to find.
There is little chance factories will offer heavy bullets for the 243 Win. Most all the rifles chambered in it are made for 100 gr. and under.
6 Creed has all kinds of factory ammo in the 105-109 grain range. I will always have a 243/243AI, but the 6 Creed is WAY better for factory ammo shooters and reloaders.

06 SB

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if it is a regional thing? 6mmCM is not all that common here in the south at big box and LGS.

New Remingtons are shipping with 8 twist 243s so I would conclude heavy bullet ammo is on the way for the 243.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chunky Dunk 71

Lil-Rokslider
So, a little more to add to the conversation. I also already have a great short barreled 308.

What about a 7 x 57 AI, or even a 7mm WSM?

I wonder if it is a regional thing? 6mmCM is not all that common here in the south at big box and LGS.

New Remingtons are shipping with 8 twist 243s so I would conclude heavy bullet ammo is on the way for the 243.

I kind of doubt much heavy bullet 243 ammo is on the way. I doubt ammo manufacturers want to deal with all the customers who buy it not knowing better since probably 99% of factory 243s owned don’t have enough twist.

OP
C

Chunky Dunk 71

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah good point, I am definitely leaning towards the 6CM at the moment, but not out of the question to load for a specific round.

06 SB

Lil-Rokslider
I kind of doubt much heavy bullet 243 ammo is on the way. I doubt ammo manufacturers want to deal with all the customers who buy it not knowing better since probably 99% of factory 243s owned don’t have enough twist.

While I tend to agree, Tikka and others are also selling 243s with 8 twist barrels. If there is demand, it will be made. The 223 and other ammo already specifies minimum twist rates so it is not new.

While I tend to agree, Tikka and others are also selling 243s with 8 twist barrels. If there is demand, it will be made. The 223 and other ammo already specifies minimum twist rates so it is not new.
Interesting point on the 223, i hadn't thought of that. Probably a lot more 7 and 8 twist 223/556 rifles out there in comparison to fast twist 243s but faster twist 223 bolt rifles seem like a more recent thing. I can't think of other similar examples where they started loading heavy for caliber factory ammo in a traditional cartridge with saami twist rates that are too slow.

Wapiti1

WKR
So, a little more to add to the conversation. I also already have a great short barreled 308.

What about a 7 x 57 AI, or even a 7mm WSM?
I have a 7X57AI. Very capable cartridge, but requires handloading. Factory 7 Mauser ammo is weak. It also requires a medium length magazine. Even a standard 7 Mauser needs to be handloaded to get anywhere.

If you want 7mm, the 284 Win is the best of the crop in non-magnum. However, factory ammo is not super plentiful. It really needs a medium length mag as well.

6mm Creed is as others have noted the most versatile with factory ammo support. .243 Win is second, but you have to be selective, or go the custom ammo route (Choice, Superior, Uknown to name a few).

Jeremy

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Generally more factory ammo options and of types that appeal to me more. I also think in general the cartridge design and associated factory ammo has a higher likelihood of achieving good precision.
What he said. if you don’t care about long range and like cheaper/vast factory ammo options for plinking and hunting, the .243 Win is a classic and for good reason. Don’t get me wrong, the .243 is capable of precision long range but it is more of a reloaders game. If you want to extend your range and use more premium factory ammo the 6 creed is the new standout that is proving its merit. I think the 6ARC would be a fun little round to play with but I have no experience with it yet. Personally, if I was a moderate range deer and hog hunter who was after factory ammo, the .243 would be my top choice. Its the easy button for that scenario.

Last edited:

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
If you already have a 7mm-08 build another one. Over the past few years I've began leaning more towards having fewer calibers and more ammo on hand vs 10 calibers to buy ammo for. I love a 7mm-08 and believe it is one of the best chamberings for use in the South East where I live and hunt. Your kids would be the cool kids in their group with a custom 7mm-08 rifle and you don't have to buy another caliber of ammo.