What knives are you using for mountain hunting?

What knife/knives are you using for mountain hunting?

• Total voters

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My PM box is filling up with knife questions and comments after the gear thread, so I figured starting this one is a good idea.

PLEASE try and keep this positive and informational!

So post up what knife/knives are you using for backpack hunting and why you've chosen those.

weaver

WKR
I broke down 3 elk this year with a havalon. I feel comfortable with it so its the only knife ill be packing next year.

idig4au

WKR
I use a DiamondBlade Folding Carbon Hunter. It broke down two bull elk and a mountain caribou without having to be sharpened. I don't like having to stop midway through dressing an animal to change blades or sharpen. Downside is that to get back to factory sharpness, I have to send it back to them to re-edge, which I usually do every couple of years depending on how much I use it.

I also carry a small Benchmade folder as my camp/pocket knife

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was just reading the "gear" thread and thinking to myself....."something along the lines of this new thread".:)

I used a Buck 110 folder for over 20 years for just about everything. I have broken down three elk in one day with that thing and just a little mini-hone in my pack. A few years ago I picked up the Gerber Gator with Bell & Carlson handle and S30V steel and absolutely love that knife. Fits my hand well, doesn't slide around with the blood, and I don't lose control of it. However, I did take the mini-hone out of my pack and replaced it with a Havalon. The Havalon weighs about the same as the hone does. I'll NEVER go completely knifeless in the backcountry, just not gonna happen. But having the Havalon gives me options in the field as well as a backup, and I'm assuming a heck of a caper.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm a havalon/multi tool guy.....mostly cause I break blades when breaking the joints apart...Becca is much more skilled at it and only requires a havalon. :D

Well that and I use my multitool for releasing fish hooks from fish mouths, and do any limbing and clearing our tent sites and what not with a fixed blade of the multitool. For me is 5 oz of worth it. But not for everyone I realize.

Not sure which gear thread you are referring to, but I can't see a good reason not to use a havalon. They are light, always sharp (if you carry extra blades), can swap to different style blades in an instant, and after some practice you rarely break a blade.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
First year with the havalon and it's all I pack now. I still carry my little two OZ folding saw so I have a more skookum tool for around camp (limbing etc). Forced me to change my style a little bit but the weight is fantastic and I like it.

Wrongside

WKR
I always have my Charge Tti in my pack. This was my first year using the Havalon out of the Rokslide Kill Kit. It took part in several animals, including elk, deer and bear, and while I do like it a lot, it will not replace 'real' knives for me. So, I guess I'm at minimum a multitool/Havalon guy. Though, more often than not, a good fixed blade of one type or another will be along as well. Knives are worth the weight to me...

I have broke down 2 elk and 2 deer now this year with my havalon. I carry a gerber multi tool when going on multi day hunts manly for piece of mind for repairs and things like that.

ssliger

WKR
I carry the small havalon in my pocket, and have the larger havalon in my kill kit. I broke down my bull elk with a combo of the two and never had to switch blades. I do have a buck knife in my pack (it was my grandpa's).

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a benchmade with sv30 blade that I always carry. Sent back to the factory every off season it will break down multiple animals without a touch up. Bought havalon for all my buddies when I drew finally drew a le tag. I was impressed and keep saying I should pick one up myself but haven't done it yet in two years

Havalon and a benchmade folder. I rarely break blades, just a matter of learning how to use it. Quick sharp as hell and lightweight.

Randle

WKR
For me I am a fixed blade/ havalon I just feel wrong without a solid 4 " fixed blade for camp and wood processing, the Havalon took care of 4 deer this year and I am getting used to it this is me 2nd year last year it was used on 2 deer. It is great addition to my kill kit that I have carried for years but for me not a stand alone knife.

Last edited:
I have been using a Havalon for 3 years for backpacking and generally use an old Shrade and the Havalon when hunting when I have a few more luxuries.
I did try out the Buck Packlite this year and was VERY impressed, it might replace the Havalon for backpacking.
For the guys who go to the RMEF banquets, that's the free knife at the table and it looks like they will be giving them away again this year.

Manosteel

WKR
I'm a havalon/multi tool guy.....mostly cause I break blades when breaking the joints apart...Becca is much more skilled at it and only requires a havalon. :D

Well that and I use my multitool for releasing fish hooks from fish mouths, and do any limbing and clearing our tent sites and what not with a fixed blade of the multitool. For me is 5 oz of worth it. But not for everyone I realize.

Not sure which gear thread you are referring to, but I can't see a good reason not to use a havalon. They are light, always sharp (if you carry extra blades), can swap to different style blades in an instant, and after some practice you rarely break a blade.

What he said, literally use my havalon / leatherman the same way and for the same reasons

Stid2677

WKR
I carry a Havalon and a Cutco serrated folder, a knife is something I always want 2 of, just in case a loose one. I use the Havalon for all the butchering of game and caping and use the Cutco for my daily meal use. The Havalon is an amazing tool that is becomes several different knives by simply changing the blades. The XT blades are very hard to break over the standard blades and the XT Blunt tips are all I use for caping and turning lips, ears, and noses.

I emailed Havalon and ask them for a gut blade, I hope they add one to their blade choices.

No right or wrong answer, but for those that are carrying everything needed for bush hunts on their back for miles, they are a way to shave a few OZs from their pack.

Steve