What is your most bonehead move ?

Sunspot

WKR
Not marking my ATV with a GPS after a 8 mile round trip hike after a 5 mile ride in on a faint trail. I got lucky....

boom

WKR
not hunting. but i was hiking boulders. climbing up and down.

made a mistake. i jumped DOWN onto a rock face. i was trapped. i couldnt go down any further..and couldnt climb up the flat smooth rock i just jumped off of. i was solo..i sat there for a few hours, just baking in the sun. i hear my buddy..he found me!! he thought i was sunning myself leisurely, and almost jumped down to join me. i told him to stop..just in time. he went back and got a rope and i lowered myself down to a good spot to finish my decent. i dont think i was in mortal danger. this was in Hueco Tanks..pretty busy spot. someone would have eventually found me.

i take that lesson with me when i hike and hunt. i hope i dont paint myself into a corner like that ever again.

Akshphntr

FNG
Good thread since I consider myself the poster child for bonehead moves in the outdoors. I may write a book on the subject due to my expertise. Near the top is packing an empty stove canister for my dream sheep hunt and only realizing after a long glacier pack in or the time I forgot the tent? I read about a guy who forgot food which would be pretty bad. I once forgot allergy medication which ended a hunt......

Akshphntr

FNG
Another is I got home from harvesting a remarkable trophy and showing my pal where I shot it on a map I realize I wasn't in the legal hunting area......