What is the ultimate gear list.

Mike7

WKR
Aron or Stid,

I see you guys mentioning running the Gitzo Tripods. Are the Series 0 Tripods (e.g. 0531 & 0541) sturdy enough for an 80mm spotter or should a guy go with the heavier Series 1 Tripods (1531 & 1541)??

I think that 90% of my spotter use will be from the sitting or kneeling position, so the Tripod will not often be fully extended. Currently, I have a Slik Sprint Mini type tripod which works great for glassing with my binoculars, but is borderline unstable with the 80 mm spotter even with a non-extended center column and use of a rock bag hanging from the bottom of the column.

Thanks, Mike

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aron or Stid,

I see you guys mentioning running the Gitzo Tripods. Are the Series 0 Tripods (e.g. 0531 & 0541) sturdy enough for an 80mm spotter or should a guy go with the heavier Series 1 Tripods (1531 & 1541)??

I think that 90% of my spotter use will be from the sitting or kneeling position, so the Tripod will not often be fully extended. Currently, I have a Slik Sprint Mini type tripod which works great for glassing with my binoculars, but is borderline unstable with the 80 mm spotter even with a non-extended center column and use of a rock bag hanging from the bottom of the column.

Thanks, Mike

I ran the 85mm Zeiss with 75x before and running the Swarovski ATX85 now. No issue when the legs aren't fully extended (high wind as well), but when fully extended it will have movement in wind.

I personally would buy the 05 series Gitzo or outdoorsman again.

Last edited:

kaboku68

WKR
Boots- Zamberlan Ibex Pro GTX
Crampons- Black Diamond Cyborg Footfangs
Ice Axe- Raven Pro with 90 Cm shaft
100 ft of 6mm accessory rope(Sterling)
5 Oval and Screw gate Liberty Mt. Carabiners
Homemade belt harness made from webbing.

3 Pairs of Smartwool mountaineering socks
2 pairs of desert red Merino wool briefs
1 First Lite Merino Wool Expedition weight top
1 First Lite Umcompaghe Puffy
1 Kryptek Koldo Shell tops and bottoms
1 Marmot Exum Guide Gortex Gloves
1 pair OR Crocodiles Gaiter
1 Apocalyse Design Trapper Hat
1 cascade designs xlite regular chipbag pad

1 Stone Glacier Sky 7400
1 Vanguard Carbon Fiber Tripod
1 85mm X75 Diascope FL Zeiss Spotter
1 10X25CL Swaro compacts
or
1 15X56 SLC Swaro binoculars
1 11-33X50 Vortex Razor Spotter

BD Trail Contour trekking poles
1 Canon ELP camera

1 Hultfors Ulilty knife
1 outdoor edge folding saw
1 Tag Bag Bomb pack
32 oz of salt in gatorade bottle

1 Sawyer squeeze filter.
1 90 oz Geiger Rig watercontainer and engine

1 BA Copper Spur UL 3
or
BD Bibler Eldorado

WM Badger 15 microfiber in StS event compression sack
or
Marmot Plasma 20 in sts event compression sack

This year
Archery Season Dalls
Bear Anarchy 70lbs + 7DP SpotHogg+ 10 inch beestinger stab+ TT FC Pro+ Tightspot quiver
Easton FMJ Axis FMJs + T3 mechanical heads+ Bow kit+ spare string+ Trufire Hardcore release
Leica 1000R

Regular Nosler TGR 338 Win Mag + z5 Swaro 3-18X44 4W Recticle+ Seekings Rings+Bases
250 grain accubonds @ 2600fp.
Sheep goat or griz they is all going down.

Sat Phone(Rental from Surveyors Exchange) I think that they rent me the same freaking phone.

Booze(Plenty of booze)( A Bota bottle of scotch (Glenlivet)or really good Whiskey 4 Roses Small Batch

Flagging Tape- 100ft. Freaking Alders

Soto ODR1 Microregulator Stove
750 ml Snow Peak titanium pot with Jet Boil lid+ Custom cozy.
2 spare minibics

Med kit(Vicadin and other favorites prescribed by dentist in case break leg and have to crawl my butt out again.)

should be good to go.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Last edited:
Stid:
What windproof lighter do you like? How is it in higher elevations?

Aron:
What's the purpose of both a contractor bag and a kifaru meat baggie in the kill kit?

Thanks.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Stid:

Aron:
What's the purpose of both a contractor bag and a kifaru meat baggie in the kill kit?

Thanks.

Meat baggie has multiple uses (pillow, hanging food, gear storage and meat transport)

Contractor bag has multiple uses....just different (sticking meat in creek, meat transport, survival)

Neither way much and I've needed both and many occasions.

I know you asked Stid about the lighter, but keep in mind they don't work worth a chit at altitude.

204guy

WKR
I see only one guy listing crampons and nobody bringing micro spikes I haven't done a sheep hunt yet but would think one or the other would be necessary.

Ray

WKR
I see only one guy listing crampons and nobody bringing micro spikes I haven't done a sheep hunt yet but would think one or the other would be necessary.

If you know you are going into glacier areas then you will want them. The one person that posted those is in nasty glacier terrain often. Most sheep country during early season you won't need extra traction. However, rain on lichen covered rocks makes me want micro spikes sometimes.

Stid2677

WKR
Stid:

Aron:

Thanks.

I use one that Cabela's sells, they all seem to be cheaply made and as Aron said they stop working around 7k feet or so. If anyone knows of a good one I'm all ears.

cwh

Lil-Rokslider

Early season, I bring the hillsound trail crampons. Depends where you are going, and when, but they are a really nice thing to have when it snows, and if crossing ice, you need to have something.

If I know there will be ice/snow, I like the Kahtoola KTS steel crampons.

Also, I forgot poles. The BD flicklock oval shaped ones were way up on my list of favorite new gear last year.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You ever try that snowscopic? I love mine, but I've broken a couple. They stopped making it now, so I could be forked if this takes a chit on me.
Early season, I bring the hillsound trail crampons. Depends where you are going, and when, but they are a really nice thing to have when it snows, and if crossing ice, you need to have something.

If I know there will be ice/snow, I like the Kahtoola KTS steel crampons.

Also, I forgot poles. The BD flicklock oval shaped ones were way up on my list of favorite new gear last year.

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
I never have. They look like a really good idea, and I have thought about it several times, but never took the plunge. I'm almost coordinated enough to not kill myself with one of those, but I'm still not 100% confident.

I like a long, solid ice axe, if going into steep and icy stuff. It is an impressively useful and versatile tool. I'm assuming you just collapse it all the way when you need to use it as a pick, and then extend again when you don't need it?

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Just got back in and trying to catch up here but lots of great info and lists. I know these gear threads can get redundant but I bet they help a lot of new guys out there and are a good reference for some of us older folk too. I like to read them them to see the latest gear out there and how it works where it counts.. In the field. I chose the alaska scenario because honestly that's what I know and I also know alaska will put gear through the rigors.. I am thankful for all those who posted and will catch up and probably have some questions.

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Lately for me I've been taking crampons (hillsound 6pt) more and more. I will say where I used to work in the Alaska range or as some call it hell I never needed to wear them. So with that said for me it boils down to where and what. If coastal goat the. They are a must, as Ray pointed out that wet grass can be very dangerous. I've also found them to be very helpful crossing rivers and fast moving streams.

OP
60x

60x

WKR
I never have. They look like a really good idea, and I have thought about it several times, but never took the plunge. I'm almost coordinated enough to not kill myself with one of those, but I'm still not 100% confident.

I like a long, solid ice axe, if going into steep and icy stuff. It is an impressively useful and versatile tool. I'm assuming you just collapse it all the way when you need to use it as a pick, and then extend again when you don't need it?

I too am a solid ice axe king of guy. Lots of uses for me. I use it in the steep stuff, use it to secure gear from sliding down the slopes, I use it to clear out the devils club on the trail, to clear a place to set a tent and they are even good bear protection;). I ve tried all sorts of telescopic poles but they are just too fragile for my style. I like the 110 cm but they are impossible to find so I've been sporting the 100cm.. Wouldn't be in the mountains with out one

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Thomas I gotta say you are one of the few I have ever seen list any sort of climbing gear. A long time ago I carried a bit but decided it would just get me in trouble so out it went. Also I may of missed it but any of you take reading material, for those fogged in days or do you count he squares in the tent;)

Im fairly inexperienced with snow, I just know it makes me tired to walk in. Am I reading this correctly that some of you use crampons to get traction in the snow? What about the fresh powdery stuff when your boots only sink a couple of inches? Do you use crampons for that too?

kaboku68

WKR
Crampons are basically a necessity if you are hunting on a big glacier. They are also good for getting out of bad spots but you need to be practiced and actually have used them both on dry land and ice. I have only had to use them twice to help cut steps when I got snowed in. I find that the more I sheep hunt the more I
make sure that I have them. They are more important to me than many things because they can get you out of trouble. I use ice axe for support and cutting steps.

Sincerely,
Thomas