What is the ultimate gear list.

60x

WKR
So lots of new stuff on the market today geared towards light weight. Here's the scenario you are packing for a 10 day sheep hunt in alaska and you have zero gear and have to buy new everything.. What is your ultimate gear list based on weight and comfort. Temps can range from 20 ish to 80ish and it could rain daily.. You will need to cross multible steams and pack in at least 10 miles on foot.

Anyone care to build one. Be fun to get everyones ideal list ..

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Based on doing this a couple years ago, you better be willing to pay to play. I did a KUIU based scenario last time and would still consider them as the baseline. Without optics and weapon, you are looking at budgeting north of 4 grand for clothes, boots, sleep system, shelter, cooking (if needed) and the little things to get the light weight-state of the art goodies. I'm just glad I would only change out a few things at this point and could easily go with what I have. Lots of changes in this market and makes for some hard decisions as the choices are numerous.

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Does this have to be gear we have used and tested or our ultimate wish list?

Nope doesn't have to be gear you tested jus the ultimate list. But the goal is to make a realistic list and be light weight.

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Based on doing this a couple years ago, you better be willing to pay to play. I did a KUIU based scenario last time and would still consider them as the baseline. Without optics and weapon, you are looking at budgeting north of 4 grand for clothes, boots, sleep system, shelter, cooking (if needed) and the little things to get the light weight-state of the art goodies. I'm just glad I would only change out a few things at this point and could easily go with what I have. Lots of changes in this market and makes for some hard decisions as the choices are numerous.

No doubt.. Good gear costs money.. However just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's the best. Sometimes yes sometimes no. Gear lists can be ever changing and I thought this was a way to see everyone's thoughts And perhaps a way for folks to pick up a tip or two..

OP
60x

60x

WKR
It would be what I'm using now.

Now now what fun is that. What are those lurking and reading gonna learn from that. I actually enjoy reading and learning about folks gears lists on here not cause I need to but because I appreciate folks opinions on all the latest gar out there. Lots of great hunters on here with great opinions on what works well or what they think will work well in the field and why..

i really dont think id change much except dropping $$$$ on top tier optics. and possibly a hille depending on how we intend to hunt the area

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm typing now....got distracted.
Now now what fun is that. What are those lurking and reading gonna learn from that. I actually enjoy reading and learning about folks gears lists on here not cause I need to but because I appreciate folks opinions on all the latest gar out there. Lots of great hunters on here with great opinions on what works well or what they think will work well in the field and why..

OP
60x

60x

WKR
I very much appreciate it. And look forward to reading it!
Dave

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
No doubt.. Good gear costs money.. However just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's the best. Sometimes yes sometimes no. Gear lists can be ever changing and I thought this was a way to see everyone's thoughts And perhaps a way for folks to pick up a tip or two..

I don't have the luxury or need to continue to update and try different gear like Aron. Personally, I would look at KUIU, Kryptek, First Lite for clothing and rain gear. I like Zamberlan boots (based on fit), I would look at a different pack (mind is not made up), update a shelter and use the Slick bag and pad I have. The hard part is dealing with the water crossings. I still haven't been particularly excited about anything that I see on the market and/or used. The lightweight stuff is either a PITA or won't hold up to any minor abuse and the rest is either too bulky or heavy. I'm a little hesitant to go the "Moffat route" and have wet feet. As I have paid limited attention to the current gear choices that are available, I am hesitant to say one piece of gear over another. Aron, through trial and error and shear exposure due to his job, has had the opportunity to refine his choices. Also, expensive doesn't always equate to the best.

Tanner

WKR
I'm kind of in this scenario at the present time due to a job coming up packing... I just sold a Swaro STS-65 20-60, so keep that in mind... But here's what I WILL be buying.

-Barney's Pinnacle (probably would stick with a T2 or T1, or Paradox 4800 if I was just staying in Colorado and not packing for others, but I'm just going to be a mule)
-Lowa Civetta boots (I wear Tibet GTX now but they just aren't going to cut it out in AK)
-Clothing... not sure. I'd like to go ahead and buy a Kuiu system but may end up buying non-camo gear to help with costs. This is my biggest (?) mark for now.
-Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 Light, compact, and great clarity. Ideally would've kept my Swaro but truck repairs came along. Will miss the 60x for identifying legal rams. Slik Sprint Pro and Sunpak Pistol grip head will come along.
-Zeiss Classic T*P 10x40. Not the same level glass as new Swaros, but tough body, light, and glass that's better than good enough for me. Just a no BS bino.
-Tent... Probably will buy a BA Copper Spur UL-3.
-If I was hunting, a SS 700 7mm Rem Mag in a McMillan KS topped with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/ turrets would come along, probably stoked with 150gr TSX or Partitions. I shoot A-Maxes here in Colorado but there's no big mean bears.... It will probably come anyways.
-OR Crocs

I've got a lot of buying to do before July... :p

Tanner

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Close to what I run now, save some better optics and lighter gear.

Smartwool base, sock
Kuiu attach pant
Chugach pant
Patagonia cap 4 hoody
Kuiu merino top
Arcteryx atom lt hoody (possibly kuiu Kenai when its out) or RAB xenon hoody
Kuiu guide jacket
Kuiu chugach jacket

Lowa Tibet GTX
Feathered friends Lark ul 10
SOL ultralight bivy
Kifaru sawtooth
Sil tarp 2

Swaro 20-60x65 angled hd
Vortex razor 10x42

Kestrel sul ti edc
Havalon

My kimber Montana with a carbon barrel by fierce, skeletonized, swaro scope

Lucky ball cap.

Jetboil flash
Ti spork

Pretty much it, stuff all that into a stone glacier 5100/kuiu ultra 6000/Kifaru Nomad

It will take me another 5 years but I should get there, hopefully my wife is still around hahaha.

Happy going in to Northern BC for sheep now with what I got, but a few upgrades would be gravy

Ray

WKR
Carbon Cub SS so I don't have to rely on air services to get me into the bush.

And since it max weights less than 1320 pounds I don't need no stinking pilots license.

Of course that whole fear of heights thing needs to be addressed first. sigh

InDeep

WKR
I just about own it or will own it all by the end of the summer, not to brag but I have taken a long time to build what I got . And have waited on a lot knowing that it wont be long until someone makes it lighter, better or maybe were just at the top with most items. Lowa's new clevedale that Lothrop and Sons is a awesome addition, being they shaved a 1/2 pound out of a rock solid boot. The other purchase will be a enlightened equipment rev x quilt. I think the pads have about topped out on weight versus comfort . All this is said in February though, but my list looks pretty solid!

My list, at least the essentials for 7days :
Hoyt factor turbo and that is with it

Kifaru dt1
2 medium pods

Easton kilo 2p- ti stake update
BA insulated core
Rei sub kilo ( will be updated this year)
Sea to summit waterproof compression sack

Zen-Ray ed3's / Sitka bino bivy
Garmin Dakota 20
Huskema headlamp
AA lithium

Pocket rocket - small fuel
gsi ti pot
ti spork
Msr dromlite 4l bladder with kit
Msr sweetwater stripped down.

Kill Kit -Havalon- 5 blades, 5 tag bags , paracord
OR research stuff sack

Stoic merino athletic boxer brief X2
Kuiu 185 merino bottom
Kuiu 185 top X2 I'm a sweaty bastard
Kuiu puffy
Sitka strorm front lite rain jacket
Sitka mountain pants
Sitka beanie
Darntough merino medium socks
Reg. Ball cap
OR compression Sack

lowa Tibets ( To be updated this year)
limited first aid kit

Hygiene kit -
tooth brush, paste , tp, deodorant

Last edited:

Tanner

WKR
I just about own it or will own it all by the end of the summer, not to brag but I have taken a long time to build what I got . And have waited on a lot knowing that it wont be long until someone makes it lighter, better or maybe were just at the top with most items. Lowa's new clevedale that Lothrop and Sons is a awesome addition, being they shaved a 1/2 pound out of a rock solid boot. The other purchase will be a enlightened equipment rev x quilt. I think the pads have about topped out on weight versus comfort . All this is said in February though, but my list looks pretty solid!

My list, at least the essentials for 7days :
Hoyt factor turbo and that is with it

Kifaru dt1
2 medium pods

Easton kilo 2p- ti stake update
BA insulated core
Rei sub kilo ( will be updated this year)
Sea to summit waterproof compression sack

Zen-Ray ed3's / Sitka bino bivy
Garmin Dakota 20
Huskema headlamp
AA lithium

Msr dromlite 4l bladder with kit
Msr sweetwater stripped down.

Kill Kit -Havalon- 5 blades, 5 tag bags , paracord
OR research stuff sack

Stoic merino athletic boxer brief X2
Kuiu 185 merino bottom
Kuiu 185 top X2 I'm a sweaty bastard
Kuiu puffy
Sitka strorm front lite
Sitka mountain pants
Sitka beanie
Darntough merino medium socks
Reg. Ball cap
OR compression Sack

lowa Tibets ( To be updated this year)
limited first aid kit

Looks like a good list... No spotter, though?

Tanner

Stid2677

WKR
This is a rough draft of what I will have this fall. I have it all except my new EMR II and bikini frame.

2013 Sheep Hunt Gear List

Descripton
Food in Dry Bag
3 pair Socks, 1 pair UW, 1 Shirt, 1 set long UW
Kuiu Down Jacket and Vest
Kuiu Chugach Rain Jacket
Kuiu Chugach Rain Pants
Headlamp Petzl
Gerger Saw folding hand type to remove horns
Two, 2 Liter Platypus
Toothpaste and Travel Tooth brush
Kifaru EMR II with Bikini Frame
Baby Wipes, Toilet paper
Kifaru game Bags
Utility Knife with roofing blade for skinning, Cutco pocket knife
3 Lithium AAA Batteries
Windproof Lighter
50 Parachute Cord
Blister Care/First Aid/sewing needle/dental floss
Rocky waterproof socks
Tivex Suit
Fleece Gloves (Kryptek)
Sitka Stocking Cap
Z Packs 10 degree Sleeping Bag in TI Goat Bivy & Kifaru stuff sack ( Waterproof Down)
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad - Women's
Skinning gloves
4 Lithium AA Batteries
License, Tags, Regs., Maps
Carbon Leatherman
Spice Packet
Pruning shears
Snow peak small fuel canister
2 Outdoor Research durable dry bags (meat)
Windproof Lighter
20 Oz Empty Gator Aid Bottle
Kifaru Sawtooth includes pole, pegs
Swarovski Angled ATX-95mm Spotting
Sawrovski EL Ranging 10x42 Binos
GitzoTripod with Manfrotto head model 492
Olympus TG-2 Camera
Kifaru Stuff sack and OR dry bag
Sawyer water filter
Jetboil SOL TI and TI spoon
Lexan Cup
Havalon Knife with extra blades
Wiggy’s Waders
Sat. Phone 9555
Kifaru Paratarp with annex and stakes MSR Ground Hog.
Mont-Bell Jacket
Mont-Bell pants
Wild things Wind Shirt
Kuiu Down Tee
Kolflach Degree boots with Barneys Glacier Socks
Vivobarefoot Men's Ultra Running Shoe (camp shoe) Weigh less than Crocs
Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu merino shirt
Kuiu Guide Jacket
Kimber Mountain Ascent 280AI with Swarovski 4x12x50 BT 4W

Last edited: