What is holding you back from competitive shooting?

Jimbee

WKR
There was an NRL Hunter match nearby last summer. I looked into it, it was $500, two days and it looked like everyone was using guns and equipment you would never carry hunting. It'd be fun to compete in something related to hunting, as stated above. I'm not a great shot, but I've been practicing Form's drill thingy and enjoy shooting at steel in various conditions.

competing is the number one thing hunters and shooters could do to improve their skill. The issue isn’t competition- it’s the matches that are available.
Agree, but to be crystal...so long as 'competing' includes competing with yourself, your own gear, your own gongs/targets, your own field situations, for hunting will make you a much better hunter and shooter, finding your own setup, your own limits with whatever gear you want to play with at the time, sky's the limit. But you can shoot lights out to ridiculous ranges without ever entering a match of any kind.

Competing against others in match situations only makes you better for that. The amount that can crossover to hunting can range from negative to minimal at most rather than singular focus on hunting.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Agree, but to be crystal...so long as 'competing' includes competing with yourself, your own gear, your own gongs/targets, your own field situations,

Other than extremely rare instances/ it does not. Competing means against other people against the same task to see who is better.

for hunting will make you a much better hunter and shooter, finding your own setup, your own limits with whatever gear you want to play with at the time, sky's the limit. But you can shoot lights out to ridiculous ranges without ever entering a match of any kind.

Someone can be decent, and they might be good at killing animals, but I have never seen a person that doesn’t or hasn’t competed that is very good at all when measured. The huge difference is that people and their emotions lie to themselves. Competition works because you can’t excuse or blow off failing at something and walk away convicts you are “good”. I shoot on average three times a week for part of the year, and the other part it’s up to 4-6 days a week. I’m around others that do the same, and there is a very clear and vast difference between those that compete and those that don’t.

Competing against others in match situations only makes you better for that. The amount that can crossover to hunting can range from negative to minimal at most rather than singular focus on hunting.

That is not correct. How does the bullet know what it is being aimed at?

Agree, but to be crystal...so long as 'competing' includes competing with yourself, your own gear, your own gongs/targets, your own field situations, for hunting will make you a much better hunter and shooter, finding your own setup, your own limits with whatever gear you want to play with at the time, sky's the limit. But you can shoot lights out to ridiculous ranges without ever entering a match of any kind.

My career is in training public safety agencies (not in shooting). What we have found is a fresh set of eyes, or exposure to someone else doing things differently forces you to evaluate what you are doing, and how you are doing it to see if it is the best way. I think the same could be said for shooting.

OXN939

WKR
To me, there are a lot of crossovers from the hunting community and competitive shooting. Also, most comp shooters hunt as well but I don't see nearly as many people showing up to the range than I do in the field. My question is, who has thought about going to a comp and what is stopping or has stopped you? What would you like to see changed on the compeitition side of things to make it more appealing to the average hunter?

Cost. Even training to maintain is absurd. Also access to shooting facilities east of the Mississippi is... poor.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
A few random thoughts.

I think most people don't feel comfortable getting started because it can be hard to get good information about the details of the competitions. I was interested in trying some out for quite a while before I actually did because it was really hard to find out what to expect.

Shooting some of the different types of competitions has absolutely made me better than I would be if I shot three times as much on my own. By taking my rifle to a competition and being forced into uncomfortable situations, I learn way faster than shooting without a forcing function.

I don't think the NRL Hunter matches are perfect at all, but they do force me to find targets, figure out my dope, and make shots on the clock. Sometimes the clock is a big factor, and other times it's not at all but it does at least help. One-day matches that were closer to home would make it much easier for sure.

Even though it took me a while to jump in, I'm happy that I did. It makes me better (and I have a long way to go), and it makes practicing WAY more fun for me.

sndmn11

WKR
For those in Colorado, Nick @HawkinsPrecision has a big hand in matches around the Springs. They also do a lot of their communication on a well run Facebook group that is easy to find. I would have no reservations in getting started due to persnickety other competitors or feeling out of place, etc. I would have no issue pointing anyone I know towards them and know they would be treated well and in good hands.

Other than extremely rare instances/ it does not. Competing means against other people against the same task to see who is better.
Sounds gross to many but hey if you dig it, go for it. You'll maybe get better than other people at whatever that task is. Irrelevant for a hunter who competes against himself and live animals. The rarity is those who are top competitive shooters AND killers combined. The norm is pick a horse and get to the top for you, the most successful deadliest hunters will likely never have competed against anyone in a match setting. That's life, it's not gonna change. Levi Morgan will never equal a Chuck Adams, Archie Nesbitt or Tim Wells afield. One of them shoots high level against people AND is deadly afield (that's the rarity) but all three who've never shot match will destroy Levi afield. You get stuck shooting matches against people too much and you'll be taking away from things you could be doing to improve your chances of putting meat in the freezer and horns on the wall. I only use this example as my trophy phase was when I was hardcore archery so I knew some players there no different what tool you use. The deadliest of those guys doesn't even use sights but I digress...all three of them figured out their game from pure hunting drive/focus. They would never have become that if competitive shooters. Rare are those who are top at both. Most land good at one or the other.
Someone can be decent, and they might be good at killing animals, but I have never seen a person that doesn’t or hasn’t competed that is very good at all when measured. The huge difference is that people and their emotions lie to themselves. Competition works because you can’t excuse or blow off failing at something and walk away convicts you are “good”. I shoot on average three times a week for part of the year, and the other part it’s up to 4-6 days a week. I’m around others that do the same, and there is a very clear and vast difference between those that compete and those that don’t.
Ya, were you beside them afield? How's their walls and freezers compared to the shooting match competitors? Both disciplines can give you trophies lol.
That is not correct. How does the bullet know what it is being aimed at?
No my statement was correct. Wanna get better at something do more of it, if you wanna get better at competing against others in a shooting match then do so. But you can get really good at shooting on game and hunting by doing all the same work outside of a match setting on shooting and more time hunting. Placing bullets isn't the hard part, but it is much harder when it's a live animal for the majority, very common for those who's pressure, whole different ball game on the animal with one tag, one chance...not spot the first one, take a measure then send another...like the animal is going to stick around on your face up lol. No, as said before our brains are visually/spatially wired, you won't be taking a first one and then measuring the miss and doing it again on animals...your brain already has the next hold figured, no measuring needed but if you're trained to do that you'll lose time if you flub the first on and try to measure on a critter that's now moving away, will you be confused, what to do now? I could go on and on. We can all run the same gear and learn the same methods of the day. A shat ton of it is useless for hunting, you said so yourself that very rare is the guy who consistently kills past 600 so whatever is going on beyond that is marginal if not detrimental to the killers focus in both setup, gear and practice. Competing against people can work against you in prep for hunting as the focus is in the wrong place. It's a well known phenomenon, range pro's fall apart afield, killers fall apart at a match.

Competition has always been irrelevant and unnecessary for hunters, long range or not. The deadliest people have never come from it.

Even though it took me a while to jump in, I'm happy that I did. It makes me better (and I have a long way to go), and it makes practicing WAY more fun for me.
the practice is the key, the method is more fun to you so you do more practice, if a guy has more fun solo competing against himself and does the practice...will be just as deadly, so my issue is with saying competition against other people is the best way......that's horse shit

it's not and the deadliest people to walk never competed against other people, never gave a rat fack what anyone else though of them, and if got famous, by accident to success, gun or bow

not sure why it isn't stated more that your success is up to you for hunting, you by no means need to compete, all the gear and knowledge is available on the small rectangle of despair you carry in your front pocket, you can do all the relevant and same practice with your own gear and time, not someone else's schedule or time, we know when hunting season is...so let's not keep herding people into a bunch of stuff without saying you really don't need to do it to be a very good long range hunter...I swear this place gets so driven on sales the reality is lost on the topics at hand, I digress again...

anyway, you made a great point, practice, for goals intended...key

Time, that is my only issue and forever will be. I would love to do more but it’s just not a reality. From a very demanding main career which I top with a semi commercial family farm my free time/vacation gets used up hunting/fishing/family. I’m not a guy who gets very many free weekends. I do shoot a lot as I can do it on the farm but devoting a weekend traveling to a shoot just isn’t in the cards for me

I shot prs style matches from 2014-2018. It has changed a lot even since I quit, but what got me was the time and money expenditure overall. I can swallow a weekend here and there and a couple hundred rounds a match, but to show up and be competitive, you have to shoot on your own and really know your dope in all conditions. That approaches several thousand rounds a year minimum. New barrel every other year minimum. Couple weekends a month shooting long range, which is a 3-hour round trip for me.

And at the end, I can’t just show up to a match, chill, and have fun at mid pack. I’m there to win, and found the cost of winning too high. Call it a character flaw.

Smacking steel with friends is fun though.
Get any hunting done from 2014-2018? ;)

Great candid response, same with the guy about gatekeepers etc...that's why WeiserBucks and me aren't into groups period, they're everywhere. Really like your last line, you can do all you need to be deadly afield right there. Zero competition against others required and the chill mid pack and have 'fun' is the key. You're better off having fun in practice than stressing to win imo...one will aid you in hunting prep one won't. I guess some perform better under negative stress perhaps but I'd argue more perform even better off positive stress.

Reactions: XLR
Get any hunting done from 2014-2018? ;)

Great candid response, same with the guy about gatekeepers etc...that's why WeiserBucks and me aren't into groups period, they're everywhere. Really like your last line, you can do all you need to be deadly afield right there. Zero competition against others required and the chill mid pack and have 'fun' is the key. You're better off having fun in practice than stressing to win imo...one will aid you in hunting prep one won't. I guess some perform better under negative stress perhaps but I'd argue more perform even better off positive stress.

I don’t think I did anything but work, shoot, and think about shooting in that time frame lol.

I sold off my 6mm dasher and all the go fast gear. Got a 16” 308 with a 10x swfa scope now, and I’m happier for it!

Edit : I feel like I’m being harsh. I had a great time, learned a lot, and met a bunch of very cool people at matches. Some of the very best in the game, literally. I would encourage anybody that wants to try, your fundamentals and confidence with your gear will improve. Just know that the guys that win consistently spend big money and time to make it happen, and many are sponsored to some extent.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
@Stinky Coyote, I don't know where you get your information but a lot of the deadliest hunters I know are also the top few competitors in the NRL hunter series. That doesn't mean that there aren't also guys who do it just for the shooting but a lot of the people competing are very legit and deadly hunters.

I don't believe for a second that I, or anyone else for that matter, will learn as much by shooting alone or with a few buddies vs going out and actually testing myself in situations designed and set up by top shooters and hunters to test our abilities to put bullets on target in a limited amount of time.

I did a NRL Hunter match this year as the first serious centerfire competition I have ever done. I entered as the skills division which was $150 and I saw it as access to a range I haven't been to and someone else setup 50+ targets for me to shoot at. If that was literally all I got out of it I would have been happy.

But the ROs were awesome and offered great tips setting up realistic hunting positions with the tripod I pack around hunting.

If you are close enough to make one of these, load up 150rds, sign up, and shoot. It is like getting to experience 10years of buck fever twice a year over the course of a weekend.

That all being said, time and finding components is going to limit how many of them I will be able to make happen next year. I solved the components issue by building a similar rifle in 22LR and there are more matches locally that cater to that. It doesn't help the time constraint, but I also didn't put in for 3 doe tags this year.

Last edited:
I don't any more but I shot a lot of NRA 3 and 4 position stuff in high school and college as well as small bore pistol (ROTC teams). Even just shooting .22's it made me a much better shot, so much so that the only guy that beat me (out of 220 folks) in my USMC KD qual (The basic school) was a former scout sniper. Even managed to become a decent shot with a pistol. My brother used to shoot a lot of trap and skeet and he is a phenomenal shot in the field. I know we are talking firearms, but 3d shooting has made me a much better archer. Our shooting range did night silhouette shoots, smallbore as well. Still a blast. Competition aside, it was always a blast just hanging out with like minded folks.

I don’t think I did anything but work, shoot, and think about shooting in that time frame lol.

I sold off my 6mm dasher and all the go fast gear. Got a 16” 308 with a 10x swfa scope now, and I’m happier for it!

Edit : I feel like I’m being harsh. I had a great time, learned a lot, and met a bunch of very cool people at matches. Some of the very best in the game, literally. I would encourage anybody that wants to try, your fundamentals and confidence with your gear will improve. Just know that the guys that win spend big money and time to make it happen, and many are sponsored to some extent.
You're freezer is gonna be happier for it too lol, thanks for remaining candid. Lot's of points proven there. You likely excelled as well but that was your focus and so you should have.

Now if a guy could look back on that and see how much of it goes forward to hunting beyond what could have been done without that competition spell? What are your personal limits on game and what would you need to do to be as proficient now for hunting goals, practice time, gongs/gear/time etc. You think you need to compete to still be a good long range shot on game?

Seeing quite a few posts about guys practicing shooting making them better shooter, via 'competition' method lol. No argument from me on the practicing thing. Only clarifying you don't need to compete to practice and get same levels of proficiency afield for hunting.

@Stinky Coyote, I don't know where you get your information but a lot of the deadliest hunters I know are also the top few competitors in the NRL hunter series. That doesn't mean that there aren't also guys who do it just for the shooting but a lot of the people competing are very legit and deadly hunters.

I don't believe for a second that I, or anyone else for that matter, will learn as much by shooting alone or with a few buddies vs going out and actually testing myself in situations designed and set up by top shooters and hunters to test our abilities to put bullets on target in a limited amount of time.
well my trophy phase was in archery but same shizzo applies, I guess lets see their walls compared to Jim Shockey's walls would be the fastest way to confirm what I was saying, the bowhunting world was where I was heavy when I was in trophy phase and there was one guy I could think of that competed and killed pretty well combined, Levi Morgan but 3 guys that he will never touch in his lifetime for hunting that never competed in anything, Chuck Adams, Archie Nesbitt and Tim Wells, hell one of them is a better shot on game than the rest of them and doesn't even use sights, they did their own thing and as was stated that guys high level at both will be the norm? no...guys will be high level at one or the other is the norm, rare are those who are high level at both, so that's not the majority as was alluded nor was competition against other people is the best way to become a better shooter...maybe for competing against other people

and you don't have to believe guys can learn as much or more on their own, those are the legends that never set foot in a match of any kind, so our particular psychology or preferences don't really matter, just state them all, and caveat this competition thing 'can be useful for many, if that works for your brain' or something lol

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
1. No TRUE "hunting rifle" divisions.
2. Insane ammo cost combined with high round count at competitions that burn barrels.
3. I like shooting so turning into a competition makes it LESS fun or completely unenjoyable, depending on the crowd.