What hunting rig are you running/how do you use it

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I daily a 2004 Rav with a five speed. Thing is a beast. Going to sell it to my brother for my niece in September. Going to be a sad little day when it goes.
I bought one of these 2004 Rav 4 new but at only 53,000 miles I found the head gasket was leaking so I traded it in for a GMC Sierra. I was meticulous with maintenance on it for the six years I owned it but it was a problem with them in those years and ruined many engines for people. Glad yours worked out for you, wish mine would have as I thoroughly enjoyed that vehicle.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Rig is a Subaru Outback lol but I don’t hunt out of vehicles and do all my hunting on foot. If I bought anything I’d probably want horses, mules or lamas. Don’t enjoy hunting anywhere close to a road because of how busy it can get
I plan to use my rig as a base camp, planning to hike into a wilderness area 3 miles and setup a spike camp. If I don’t get into elk in three days I’ll night move to a backup area. Lamas are where it’s at for sure, horses are more trouble than they are worth, if you get a mule make sure to get it as young as possible and start training immediately. Once I get a place with land I’ll definitely be looking into lamas.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
By, "the book", apparently.
I've definitely seen mobile mechanics advertising engine swaps for $500 before, but not sure I'd trust the work.
They are giving you a flat rate, basically they look up how long the job will take and charge you for that weather it takes that long or not.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up this 2007 4 Runner for a daily driver/mountain rig this week. 248,000 miles but very clean and no leaks anywhere. I'll be replacing the worn suspension components soon but it's very drivable as is for now. I don't think I want a lift though as I can't see the need for it with how I'll be using it. It'll be on it's maiden hunting trip this October. I currently has many miles left on Michelin Defenders so not sure if I'll change tires this year or not. I'll grab a set of chains for sure. It's a limited so I'm looking forward to the heated seats this fall!

View attachment 735653
Very nice, when it comes to lifts mild is definitely better especially daily driving. I probably have the most impractical lifted cummins on this site and I love it but lots of work and upkeep. My girl daily drives a 15 jeep jku with 6 inch lift and 37s and it’s a life style for sure lol you sacrifice road comfort to go crazy places off road.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
George is certainly a welcome sight after a long day in inclement weather.
I could only imagine, after spending a November season sleeping in a 15 jeep jku last year I bet it would be like a 5 star hotel. I’m looking forward to more space in the 4Runner this season.

Split toe

WKR
Love your setup, I’m new to Toyota but I already love them. I just got my warn m15000 winch installed.
Thanks man, I'm a big fan of it!
View attachment 735710

Working on getting this ‘91 4Runner reliable enough to make my main hunting/fishing vehicle. At only 125k on the odometer it has the potential but I still don’t trust it well enough to make a couple hundred mile drive and not leave me stranded.
I have a '98 with about 210k miles on it and in a couple weeks I'm driving it from Arkansas to the Sangre de Cristo mountain range to climb some 14ers, wish me luck lol!

vladkgb

FNG
1000000239.jpg

Jeep Rubicon JKU on 37" bead locks, winch, all metal bumpers, lift, 1 ton axles, 6.2L Chevy V8 swapped, atlas transfer case, 10 speed trans, 5.13 gears. Can get me anywhere and out of anywhere. Also keeps my camp light and mobile because I can't fit much in there.

New to me this year ‘98 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 spd with manual everything and I love it. Added a headache rack and truck box, Lexus seat swap, and a customized 4Runner center console I worked up. Great mpg and thoroughly impressed with the ability to crawl through the nasty stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    649.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 42
OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 735710

Working on getting this ‘91 4Runner reliable enough to make my main hunting/fishing vehicle. At only 125k on the odometer it has the potential but I still don’t trust it well enough to make a couple hundred mile drive and not leave me stranded.
Do timing belt and be prepared to do head gasket at some point with the 3.0. Looks super clean and minty, love it! Also check the radiator to see if it’s been replaced, it’s another weak point on the 2nd gen’s. Luckily mine has been changed out for an aluminum with electric fan. Solid rig for sure

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 735747

Jeep Rubicon JKU on 37" bead locks, winch, all metal bumpers, lift, 1 ton axles, 6.2L Chevy V8 swapped, atlas transfer case, 10 speed trans, 5.13 gears. Can get me anywhere and out of anywhere. Also keeps my camp light and mobile because I can't fit much in there.
I used my girls jeep wrangle rubicon jku last season and you’re right about not a lot of room. The v8 and atlas transfer case sounds awesome. Did you do the work yourself? We plan to do a tdi swap when the motor goes, it’s already on 37s re-geared and rear bumper. I slept in it last November and it’s wasn’t the best but got the job done.