What hunting rig are you running/how do you use it

Fatcamp

WKR
Gotta say the Toyota builds some quality stuff. They keep it simple and don’t change things if it ain’t broke. Thats a sweet rig, I was looking into them but just a little out of the price range. Anymore the less electronics on a vehicle is better for me.

Without a doubt my 4runner is hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. And I've had a bunch.

Our next major project is to strip it down and give it a refresh.

Fatcamp

WKR
View attachment 734795
Actually in all seriousness, a 17 F250. Really would like to get a SXS for next spring bear, or even a older 2nd gen Toyota pickup for hunting. Especially spring bear in Idaho.

20240711_082403.jpg

2017 gas truck. Been a great truck. We pull a fifth wheel and a boat during the summer, a popup during the Fall. We bought a two up Polaris ATV, but haven't done much with it yet.

Rig is a Subaru Outback lol but I don’t hunt out of vehicles and do all my hunting on foot. If I bought anything I’d probably want horses, mules or lamas. Don’t enjoy hunting anywhere close to a road because of how busy it can get

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
My go to scouting/hunting rig most of the season is a 2wd Jeep Patriot manual. It get a me where i need to good while getting 27-30mpg. Not exactly an out west rig but it work here in northern MN.

When I need to haul the heavy loads or 4x4 load up the F150, which does everything I’ve needed it to do.68616388823__962A07A6-118C-4A30-97FB-3230603762D3.jpeg

By, "the book", apparently.
I've definitely seen mobile mechanics advertising engine swaps for $500 before, but not sure I'd trust the work.

I wouldnt go for a $500 job either. 40 hours just seems excessive though

I’m considering getting rid of my pickup because it’s falling apart, if it wasn’t for that, I’d not drive anything else, only recent pic I have was a couple weeks ago when the girls in the office lit up my buddy’s and my pickups… hopefully nobody can zoom in on what the post it’s have on them😂

Love the zr2 but it is proving to lack the top characteristic of a vehicle, which is reliability. Might just accept the power and handling loss and go back to Toyota, because they don’t rattle apart

I also despise black pickups, they show dirt more than any color and then look worse when you wash it and it shows all of the scratches

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 61

CorbLand

WKR
Yeah, I'm sure that's a job that can actually be done in a day by an experienced tech if that's all they are working on.
The "by the book stuff" is BS in my opinion. Got a quote to get some shocks replaced one time and they told me that its 1.5 hours per shock plus parts. I order the shocks and did them in my garage in less than an hour and half for all four. No lift, no air tools, just a Craftsman ratchet kit and Harbor Freight jack.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
2012 Tacoma with still under 100k miles. Buddy and I are going to put a very mild lift (w/ new dampers&springs) in sometime this summer to help clear 275/70/17 tires (currently running a little taller tire over stock 265/70/17 on stock suspension).

qjh1GaC.jpg

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking for a small lightweight bed camper for my tacoma id really like to find one of the pop up ones from the 90s
I was eyeing one up in my town but it needs a lot of work but it’s the pop up style like you are talking about. It sits in a truck bed trailer.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I found one out of an FJ with only 60k + a 5 year warranty for it for $5600. Of course, its 40 hours of labor for an engine swap so its around $10,500 with labor.
Wow that’s pricey, I like to do all my own work. I do believe you can get a low miles JDM 3.4 for around 2000$.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
2012 Tacoma with still under 100k miles. Buddy and I are going to put a very mild lift (w/ new dampers&springs) in sometime this summer to help clear 275/70/17 tires (currently running a little taller tire over stock 265/70/17 on stock suspension).

qjh1GaC.jpg
I almost picked up a Tacoma but the one I really wanted sold the day I went to the dealer to check it out. Then I started thinking how much I dislike payments. The tan ones really do it for me. The mild lift sounds like an excellent idea.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up this 2007 4 Runner for a daily driver/mountain rig this week. 248,000 miles but very clean and no leaks anywhere. I'll be replacing the worn suspension components soon but it's very drivable as is for now. I don't think I want a lift though as I can't see the need for it with how I'll be using it. It'll be on it's maiden hunting trip this October. I currently has many miles left on Michelin Defenders so not sure if I'll change tires this year or not. I'll grab a set of chains for sure. It's a limited so I'm looking forward to the heated seats this fall!

IMG_7807 Medium.jpeg