What hunting rig are you running/how do you use it

Poser

WKR
I have a Gen 4, V8 4Runner with a AWD system in 4H that I bought from a Rokslide member. I've upgraded the suspension and have a slight lift on it. I've beat the living shit out of this thing in the last 2.5 years. Considering dropping a new engine in it. It has 270k on it and has some low compression and burns some oil on startup once the temps drop below 25 degrees or so. I could also probably drive it with low compression for another 50k. Its a beast.

My only complaint is when in 4H, you can't manually shift down below 3rd gear. When coming down mountain passes in the winter, that's a little fast and requires some braking. I've considered regearing it for a lower gear ratio.

IMG_6087 (1).jpg

I have a 13 tacoma which I hate a lot and wish I would have kept my 91 v6 3.0. I miss having a stick shift to cruise down roads with. Camped out of both of them and plenty of room for all the stuff I carry in the back.

The TW is what I used to use the most to get around on scouting trips and going places when the weather is nice, but might sell it and get an atv instead after I messed my knee and ankle up pretty good this year being cut off by a car on a blind corner. Hoping to be able to hike again by the October 10th rifle opener. IMG_4735.pngIMG_4737.png

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried flat towing the Sammy behind it yet?
Nice tin top! I have flat towed a few of my samurai’s I just really want an all in one rig. I had one with twin stick transfer case and didn’t have to pull the rear driveshaft or stop every few hundred miles and start the samurai.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
This is what we will be hunting out of this fall.
08 Chevy 3500 with a long bed and ARE topper. I do want to add a Ranch Hand front bumper. View attachment 734536
Nice setup. When I was debating a truck rig I was gonna do a platform in the bed to sleep on and have storage underneath, the slide out draws are sick but are pricey. Definitely won’t be lacking in space though.

Had this pile for a while. It went a lot of places, but man did it fall apart around itself. Bought it used, put 50k of mostly woods in 3 years and it was done @150k:ROFLMAO:

ranger.jpg

The 04 tacoma is the current woods bomber/gocart/daily driver. 4banger,shifters,33's and cassette player! Its holding up way better than that damn ranger did. Sittin at 170k now and I'm lookin at turbo kits, because that just makes sense:ROFLMAO:

I doubt this one will ever get sold. Its just too good.

20240507_194026.jpg20231217_162713.jpg20221103_102112.jpg

Last edited:
OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Auto. Thought about manual and it definitely does have its benefits but the auto is just convenient.

I feel you on the payment. Would have kept the 01 but my wife totaled it.
Tacoma is one of the last holdouts with manual, pretty soon you won’t be able to find them. I definitely get the convenience, that sucks about the 01.

I do keep looking at a v10 fords. Lil more cab room and power would be nice. I could care less about body panels or paint. I'll make it fit down whatever road I'm on:ROFLMAO:

Prices are getting down to where a guy could build a rig without spending a pile of money

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Had this pile for a while. It went a lot of places, but man did it fall apart around itself. Bought it used, put 50k of mostly woods in 3 years and it was done @150k:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 734753

The 04 tacoma is the current woods bomber/gocart/daily driver. 4banger,shifters,33's and cassette player! Its holding up way better than that damn ranger did.

I doubt this one will ever get sold. Its just too good.

View attachment 734760View attachment 734761View attachment 734763
Gotta say the Toyota builds some quality stuff. They keep it simple and don’t change things if it ain’t broke. Thats a sweet rig, I was looking into them but just a little out of the price range. Anymore the less electronics on a vehicle is better for me.

ewade07

WKR
I got a 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab with a topper and roof rack. It'll go just about anywhere and i can sleep in the back of it. I also have a 1999 Toyota Rav4 that i use for bird, deer and antelope hunting. The thing is basically a glorified UTV, AWD with a locking rear diff (5 spd as well). Im gonna hold onto those vehicles for as long as i can!

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I do keep looking at a v10 fords. Lil more cab room and power would be nice. I could care less about body panels or paint. I'll make it fit down whatever road I'm on:ROFLMAO:

Prices are getting down to where a guy could build a rig without spending a pile of money
Ha I get that, I have never been one to care about looks and cosmetics. Longevity and reliability is all I care about. This is why I bought one with a dent so it doesn’t hurt when I put the next one it. My girl is into wheeling and rock crawling and in those groups if you have no scratches or dents you’re not doing it right and probably mall crawl.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I got a 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab with a topper and roof rack. It'll go just about anywhere and i can sleep in the back of it. I also have a 1999 Toyota Rav4 that i use for bird, deer and antelope hunting. The thing is basically a glorified UTV, AWD with a locking rear diff (5 spd as well). Im gonna hold onto those vehicles for as long as i can!
Now that’s a very capable setup for sure, definitely hold onto those. Any pics?

Gotta say the Toyota builds some quality stuff. They keep it simple and don’t change things if it ain’t broke. Thats a sweet rig, I was looking into them but just a little out of the price range. Anymore the less electronics on a vehicle is better for me.

I wouldnt be scared of a high mileage rig...

What you picked up is pretty solid though. Stuffing a straight axle under it isnt a big job either. Toss a spartan or round up an axle with a Elocker and that thing will go way more places than you ever thought.

I look at 4runners/sequoias etc etc but always end up with a pickup

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a 2005 Lexus GX470 and it’s a real contender to being a woods rig as well as my Tacoma.
I almost bought a 95 4Runner with the 4.7 1uzfe v8. They are a super good motor and probably weigh less than my 3.4l because of the aluminum block. But I decided to stick with the more common swap in case I run into issues. Sucks they were all autos though I think you could find a tranny to put in it.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Gen 4, V8 4Runner with a AWD system in 4H that I bought from a Rokslide member. I've upgraded the suspension and have a slight lift on it. I've beat the living shit out of this thing in the last 2.5 years. Considering dropping a new engine in it. It has 270k on it and has some low compression and burns some oil on startup once the temps drop below 25 degrees or so. I could also probably drive it with low compression for another 50k. Its a beast.

My only complaint is when in 4H, you can't manually shift down below 3rd gear. When coming down mountain passes in the winter, that's a little fast and requires some braking. I've considered regearing it for a lower gear ratio.

View attachment 734579
Bet you could find a motor out of a rear ended 4 runner of the same gen. It’s too bad there’s only like 4 manual swapped 4th gen’s in the world as none of them came with manuals not even in different countries. A regear might be a good idea.