What hunting rig are you running/how do you use it

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
Man I need to hunt where you hunt lol do you shoot them and then they roll down the hill to a road so you can load them whole? I love the rig, I’m on my first Toyota and can definitely see why people love them. I’m already full on the bandwagon
Actually got super lucky this year I got my bull during archery season, I called him basically to the road, arrowed him and he went down quick was able to get him with a 300' rope. The other 2 died in a recent burn that relatively flat and I was able to take an atv right to them and drag them to a road.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I originally got it just for being able to do easy single tracks and road cruising. With the gas mileage it was an easy decision over using my truck and having to go 55 miles into the nearest gas station every few days. Lots of USFS and logging roads here North of Highway 12 and South of I-90!
The guy I bought the 4 runner from used it to take his 450 up to the mountains so I could definitely fit a bike off the hitch.

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold a 2nd gen 4runner pretty similar to yours and bought a 3rd gen as my daily driver there's a pretty good chance it will see a fair amount of time in the woods too

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Actually got super lucky this year I got my bull during archery season, I called him basically to the road, arrowed him and he went down quick was able to get him with a 300' rope. The other 2 died in a recent burn that relatively flat and I was able to take an atv right to them and drag them to a road.
Love it man, I would love to get one out whole so I could hang and take my time processing it. I’m imagining quite a haul out of the non motorized wilderness area I’ll be in.

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
Love it man, I would love to get one out whole so I could hang and take my time processing it. I’m imagining quite a haul out of the non motorized wilderness area I’ll be in.
My wife is quite possibly the luckiest person that's ever lived shes killed 8 elk in the last ten years and only 1 hasn't come out whole they've all been in clear cuts fields or burns that were either flat or they were above roads

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold a 2nd gen 4runner pretty similar to yours and bought a 3rd gen as my daily driver there's a pretty good chance it will see a fair amount of time in the woods too
Do you miss the tailgate yet??? I can’t lie I absolutely love having one. Although the 3rd gen’s took everything wrong with the 2nd gen’s and fixed them so it’s almost better all the way around except the tailgate lol.

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
Do you miss the tailgate yet??? I can’t lie I absolutely love having one. Although the 3rd gen’s took everything wrong with the 2nd gen’s and fixed them so it’s almost better all the way around except the tailgate lol.
No I carry stuff in the back quite a bit and being able to open the hatch without having to roll the window down first is better imo

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is quite possibly the luckiest person that's ever lived shes killed 8 elk in the last ten years and only 1 hasn't come out whole they've all been in clear cuts fields or burns that were either flat or they were above roads
Wow that is wild and super lucky. Sounds like you found a good one there. I would give anything to get my girl out with me.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
No I carry stuff in the back quite a bit and being able to open the hatch without having to roll the window down first is better imo
Yeah I can definitely see that being a bonus especially with all the problems that come with the rear window on the 2nd gen’s. That’s probably my biggest worry is rear window failure while I’m in the cold trying to sleep in it. I’ll definitely be doing a full maintenance on the tailgate before season starts. September wouldn’t be all bad November would suck.

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
If I had kept the second gen I was gonna remove the key switch on the outside and hard wire a switch I could use any time with the key

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
If you carry adult passengers the back seat leg room between a 2nd and 3rd gen is huge too
The hardwired key switch is a great idea, I might steal it. 100% on the leg room, they quite literally took all the complaints of the 2nd gen and fix them. Being a hunting/camping rig I’m not super worried as I solo hunt and my son goes out camping with me but that’s about it. I read on a forum a guy saying how excited he was for not having to slide his seat forward for passengers anymore 😂

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking for a small lightweight bed camper for my tacoma id really like to find one of the pop up ones from the 90s

Poser

WKR
Bet you could find a motor out of a rear ended 4 runner of the same gen. It’s too bad there’s only like 4 manual swapped 4th gen’s in the world as none of them came with manuals not even in different countries. A regear might be a good idea.
I found one out of an FJ with only 60k + a 5 year warranty for it for $5600. Of course, its 40 hours of labor for an engine swap so its around $10,500 with labor.