What hunt doesn’t interest you?

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you that poo poo high fence hunts have actually spent time on a large high fenced ranch? There is practically no advantage to the hunter if the acreage is sizeable and the native brush isn't mowed down. I have been a guest on a 4,400 acre high fenced ranch since 1984. The owning family hunts it hard, many days a week and there are deer they never see until they get in a helicopter. Then they don't see those deer again until the next year's helicopter ride to survey the herd.

100 acres mowed down with 5 timed corn throwing feeders is a different deal of course.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Man I feel sorry for you guys that don’t know how much fun it is to hunt ducks. A flock of ducks responding to the call, making a couple passes, wings set, feet down. Settle them down with a feeding chuckle and a lazy hen call. Oh man...

How many of you that poo poo high fence hunts have actually spent time on a large high fenced ranch? There is practically no advantage to the hunter if the acreage is sizeable and the native brush isn't mowed down. I have been a guest on a 4,400 acre high fenced ranch since 1984. The owning family hunts it hard, many days a week and there are deer they never see until they get in a helicopter. Then they don't see those deer again until the next year's helicopter ride to survey the herd.

100 acres mowed down with 5 timed corn throwing feeders is a different deal of course.

When you can absolutely control animals from entering or leaving your property things lose luster. It might be a challenging proposition to shoot a coyote inside of a dog park fence with a bow, but that wouldn't make doing it desirable or fair chase.

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
I have no desire for any guided hunting. No fenced in ranch stuff either. No interest in hunting “exotic” animals (lion, giraffe, elephant, etc.) at all.

elkduds

WKR
Waterfowl, tree stand, predators, varmints. Fair chase, kill, eat is the hunting I enjoy. Which is not to dis other kinds of hunting, except high fence. That goes @ the top of my Dis list.

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
Africa and high fence hunting dont appeal to me at all. Brown bears/grizzlies never really did much for me either; not sure why. Pretty much everything else is a go. Turkeys don’t get me too excited but I think that’s probably just because I suck at hunting them.

RS3579

WKR
No audad or water foul in NA. I don’t want to hunt anything out of North America.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
When you can absolutely control animals from entering or leaving your property things lose luster. It might be a challenging proposition to shoot a coyote inside of a dog park fence with a bow, but that wouldn't make doing it desirable or fair chase.
If we're talking about dog parks then sure but if the area is far larger than the animal's natural range and more than they would wander fence or not then I think that's completely different.

If we're talking about dog parks then sure but if the area is far larger than the animal's natural range and more than they would wander fence or not then I think that's completely different.

There are different scales for sure. It's still not free range so it loses legitimacy, even if it's a big area.

I can't help but find it comical someone would spend the huge $$ it costs to fence in 4400 acres and then pretend like the fence doesn't serve a purpose.

Moneyball

WKR
There are different scales for sure. It's still not free range so it loses legitimacy, even if it's a big area.

I can't help but find it comical someone would spend the huge $$ it costs to fence in 4400 acres and then pretend like the fence doesn't serve a purpose.

We have a million+ in fencing, but we really don’t need it and it really doesn’t matter...

An acquaintance of mine went “bow hunting” and was telling the horror story of how he didn’t get full penetration on a high fence animal and it ran down the fence line with the arrow hitting the fence like a baseball card in the spokes of a bike wheel.

I was embarrassed just being a bystander in the conversation. Bad deal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hansonc87

FNG
Africa. Around Midwest I do not have any interest in duck hunting, rather hunt deer.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I can say for sure, is something that I’ve actually tried. A guided elk hunt. No desire to do that again.

Anyone who said turkeys, just made my ignore list! Unless you live in Alaska.

Just kidding......sort of.

Turkeys. I could’ve killed one very easily the last two years but I just had fun gobbling at it. They are happy to engage with human gobblers.

Just have no interest in Africa. Don't understand the fascination with sheep and goats either but it is probably because I will never be able to afford to do it.